Default Summer Care for School Aged Kids

For those parents who don't have family/friends to care for their kids (4-6+yrs) while they work, how do you manage summer vacation? Do you register them in a multiple of summer camps across the city or do they attend a summer daycare for school aged kids?

For summer camps, how many do you register them in and for how long at a stretch?

For those relying on summer camps to care for their kids while you work, how much $$ do you end up spending for a summer?

Expert Forum User

My six year old (starting grade two on Sept) went to summer camps last year and this year some with his older brother - some alone.

This year we attended:
    ZoneCamp at West London Alliance Church - Daycamp $80/week/child +tuck
    Sports Camps at Western and John Hatch - Daycamp average $185/week/child
    East Park Jr. Fun Camp (this week!!) - Daycamp $195/week/child

Last year we also went to:
    West Park Baptist Church - Daycamp, it was really cheap ($45??) but the timing didn't work this year.

My older one attended and the six year old will attend next year:
    St. Vincent De Paul - Overnight Camp - $200/week/child
    Forest Cliff Camps - Overnight Camp - $378/week/child +t-shirt and tuck

A lot of camps have themes and if you find the one's that interest your child I find they will be much happier... also I would restrict any one camp to two weeks of the summer to avoid getting bored.

We have also used the local London run day camps (around the $88/week/child), and I'm not super impressed with these...
    however the drop-in type daycamps that we've been to (free) run by the city are really good - and the kids love them. The only issue was I had to go meet them for lunch every day.....
    Last edited by gogomom; 08-21-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: add costs as requested.....

My six year old (just turned 7 this week) has gone to the same day camp every day all summer and loves it! I took a chance by paying ahead but she has had a wonderful time & has really gotten to know the teachers and other kids (many who go every week or almost every week as well) It's in Kilworth and called "Tiggir's Tots Recreation Program" $145 per week + a little extra most weeks for field trip. Worth every penny for sure!

Expert Forum User

MY DS did the London Day Camp in Byron and LOVED it. About $94/week, I think. I know many parents who use this for their school-aged kids (even has before & after) and have been very happy with it. IMO it was very organized & structured, atleast for the younger 6-8 group.

SuperMom

Last summer I had my older dtr in "Drama Camp" through the city. I signed her up for the whole summer and she had a great time! It was pretty reasonably priced, even with the before/after program. And it's tax deductable...

Great responses so far ... thanks ladies - very helpful.