Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jk/Sk start

Default Jk/Sk start

Are we supposed to get letters on when the first day of school is? There's only a week to go and I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone heard anything? My son is starting SK at a new school and I was hoping to have heard details on what day he is supposed to go.

Banned

I never heard anything until about the Friday before Labor Day weekend. So frustrating!

I'm all paranoid that he didn't get registered properly or he's been missed. I'm sure he hasn't but I worry about dumb things, lol. Its cutting it too close, I think. I called the school and they aren't open until next Wednesday. Frustrating.

Banned

Yup. Luckily I didn't have to arrange any kind of child care, but it makes me wonder how the people that do cope. How can you arrange something when you only have about three day's notice?!

Expert Forum User

Wow - every school must be different...my one family of teachers had to go in today and the school by my house was full in the parking lot? My one dc child who is heading to JK finally got her schedule last week...after pestering the secretary with messages.... as I have been trying to figure out how to make sure that the child she is supposed to be sharing a space with is clear on the dates she can start and then come....I hate this six day rotation thing

My lil ones school has not told me anything either. I have no idea what day they start, or who his teacher is or what class room he will be in.. I guess I should call them before Sept 1

Expert Forum User

We got our notification about 1-2 weeks after school ended. It came in the mail and from his teacher.

Expert Forum User

We also got our notice about 1 week after school ended. Planning daycare would have been impossible otherwise!

Expert Forum User

Hearing stories about how vastly different each school handles stuff like this amazes me - are the policies and procedures not the same board wide ??? cause for stuff like this they should be....leaving parents to figure out alternating or before and afterschool daycare until the last possible minute combined with the ridiculus variations of the progam....6 day rotating schedule at some schools verses half days at others verses M/W or T/TH an alternating Fridays....no wonder so many parents are opting out of JK and SK all together cause it is just so confusing!

Expert Forum User

I think its the teachers and not necessarily the schools. I got our letters a week ago. My girls are JK and SK students and are going to different schools (ones starting FI). I called in June and found out Avery was 2,4,6. so i called the FI school and they said it was no problem to have Mackenzie on 2,4,6 as well. So I arranged my work schedule around that, but last week I got their letters and Mackenzie is 1,3,5. If they don't let me switch her I don't know what I'm going to do.

Expert Forum User

We got our letter a couple of weeks after school ended, too.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I believe it's the teachers...I remember my sister saying something about sending something to parents for next year. (teaches jk/sk) That was around the time school ended, it would drive me crazy not knowing until the last minute too!
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

I got my letter for DS for SK about 2 weeks ago....so have a few other people I know with that age of children...I would call Monday -that's the first day they are open....

I called the school and the machine says they aren't open until the 27th - the Wednesday. That will leave me 3 days to figure stuff out. Great. How helpful.
    I am going on the assumption that he's Tuesday/Thursdays a I'm told thats the schedule for SK's in the Catholic School board - but I hate to assume...it would be just my luck that its the exact opposite.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by christine View Post
    I called the school and the machine says they aren't open until the 27th - the Wednesday. That will leave me 3 days to figure stuff out. Great. How helpful.
    I am going on the assumption that he's Tuesday/Thursdays a I'm told thats the schedule for SK's in the Catholic School board - but I hate to assume...it would be just my luck that its the exact opposite.
    My dd has a classmate from last yr who will be attending Sk at the catholic school that is the schedule they tenatively gave the parents was tues/Thurs. So it may be something that all the catholic schools do. My youngest dd is sharing her daycare spot at a home providers so i wont' know exactly what days for her till the first week of school.

I would be so frustrated in all of your shoes. I can't believe they can't get it sorted out long before the last week of summer holidays to let parents know. It's crazy.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast