Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry A dying placenta???

When during pregnancy does the Placenta start to die?

I am 39 weeks + 1 day and I was told today at St. Joe's hospital that my placenta has already started to die. I have always thought it didn't start to die until 42 weeks??

What does it mean if it happens sooner than 42 weeks? Should I be concerned since my due date is supposed to be this Wed??

Expert Forum User

I don't know much about it, but a week before my due date with my first he stopped moving. I had an NST done which verified he wasn't doing well. This was at 7pm. They decided to leave him unitl the next morning and see if anything had changed. I went into labour that night so they left him to go natural. Afer 35 hours of contractions 5 minutes apart he was born, and they said the placenta was dead when it came out. I'm assuming this is why he stopped moving, and also it was probably a more difficult labour as he wasn't nessisarily ready, but my body knew what it was doing and kicked him out!

So like I said, I don't know what it means really, but that is my experience with a dead placenta.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Did your doctor say anything about inducing labour? I thought you had that two week window too, but the due date isn't always exact, they quite often don't truly know when you conceive. If you are worried I would ask my doctor about induction. I was induced with my last baby and while it certainly wasn't the birth I wanted I would choose that over been worried for my baby's health. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

SuperMom

The placenta dies???? I have NEVER heard of that!!! Wow - the things you learn... "after the fact"

girlsmum

Interesting thread since my teen was born at 42 weeks and while pregnant with my twins I was told that premature aging of the placenta occurs with multiples and delivery HAD to happen at 38 weeks so induction was going to be necessary. IDK if I'd worry about a dying placenta, once it's work is done, baby comes. I think I just got a stupid scare tactic!!

My sister had that and had to have her son 3 weeks early because of it.

dying placenta? for reals? how do they tell that? what does that mean? how certain is the diagnosis? what is the diagnostic method?

i am inclined to disbelieve, personally. docs can really be full of crap (ie the whole cephalo-pelvic disproportion thing). i'd ask for solid proof and get some more opinions.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

They can tell by the blood flow through the placenta, either on a biophysical profile where they look at the flow to baby (I believe) or certainly with a regular ultrasound if they suspect something isn't right. The placenta deteriorates over time, typically getting worse after the due date and seems to be more so after about 42 weeks which is why they want to watch you super carefully if you go beyond the 42 weeks. Some women don't seem to go into labour before this starts to happen, which can be a bit worrisome.

Did they schedule you to come back to monitor the situation?

The placenta obviously has a finite lifetime and a whole process that it goes through occurs over a certain period of time and if something is a bit off in timing (or the dates even being a little off) can mean that it can run its course before the whole pregnancy is done, though not common. There can be all kinds of problems with the placenta including cases where it starts to detach too early, so there are certainly risks of things happening when they shouldn't, unfortuantely.

I agree with some things being scare-tactics, but there are genuine cases for concern as well, like the cephalo-pelvic disproportion, it isn't as common as they've made it out to be, but there are real cases out there that can become quite serious if not dealt with. Ideally everything would be fine with everyone until they delivery, but unfortunately biological variability comes into play!

Let us know how things go and keep us updated. I agree with myrrah that i'd want more information and soon!

Expert Forum User

I have never heared someone say "dieing" but I do know once a woman start going very over due the nutrients have a harder time getting through to the baby(bloodflow issue?) which can cause weightloss which obviously isnt good. Thats what I was told went I went over due with my youngest but still don't know all the details about what happens to the placenta as mine appeared to be fine at my last ultrasound a few weeks earlier and there was no need for me to get concerned. I wouldn't get too stressed over it but just keep monitoring the baby's movements and if you feel unusual go in and get checked out. Maybe go to your dr and figure out what the plan is so you don't sit around wondering.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Yikes! I am so sorry you were told this.
    When I was pregnant with my first born son, I was told a couple of days after I went 'overdue' that there is a chance of the placenta dying, etc. I still did not allow the OB to induce me that soon after bring told that. It felt like a scare tactic to me at the time.
    I have no clue about your case but like Myrrah said, find out more...ask more questions! Get the true facts and I would highly recommned getting another opinion from another OB at this point in time. Go in for a Non Stress Test because I believe that should be able to indicate if the placenta did indeed die. I am still confused as to how a baby can still live if a placenta dies? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If a Dr calaims the placenta is 'dead', ask how they know this, etc and what will go on from there, etc.
    I feel for you and hope everything is going to be ok. Please keep us informed and good luck! Please don't allow any Dr to intimidate you or force you into anything you don't feel you want or need! This happened to me in my first pregnancy and I still hold a lot of anger and resentment toward the OB I had utilized in that pregnancy. It also lead to many interventions for me; I found out later through much research that most of those things were not necessary!
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 08-17-2008 at 03:06 PM.

girlsmum

Is this a diagnosis that is easier to determine than a decade ago? When I say that my teen was born at 42 1/2 weeks, she was in fine health, did the NST and she was born with very little vernix coating on her, she didn't need much clean up. I wonder if there is a correlation?? She certainly wasn't suffering for breath and nursing abilities, etc.

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

There has been new research saying that the placent is not a timed organ as was once thought. Aslo as PP said, youe 'Due Date' is an estimate. Depending on when you had an U/S, your cycle length, and when you conceived. Most Dr's do not take into consideration your cycle length, it is easier for them to use the 28 day Wheel than correct for this.

The placent does not 'die'. This is a scare tactic for induction. Why would your body nuture, care, carry this baby for 9 months, and at the last minute, stop working? It is true that the blood flow can slow, but it will not just up and stop working. I would definatly ask more questions about this, and maybe have a BPP to check placental flow.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    dying placenta? for reals? how do they tell that? what does that mean? how certain is the diagnosis? what is the diagnostic method?

i am inclined to disbelieve, personally. docs can really be full of crap (ie the whole cephalo-pelvic disproportion thing). i'd ask for solid proof and get some more opinions.

I am not sure how they could tell. In OB triage they brought in this ultrasound looking machine, gooped me up and ran the wan over my belly showing me the baby and she pointed to the placenta and said "its already started to die" and she said the baby is doing good. I dont see how dying placenta and healthy baby go hand in hand and they never once mentioned induction or anything so I dont know if its something I should even be concerned about. I have never been told my placenta was dying with my first and my first was 6 days over due.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBlondy View Post
    I am not sure how they could tell. In OB triage they brought in this ultrasound looking machine, gooped me up and ran the wan over my belly showing me the baby and she pointed to the placenta and said "its already started to die" and she said the baby is doing good. I dont see how dying placenta and healthy baby go hand in hand and they never once mentioned induction or anything so I dont know if its something I should even be concerned about. I have never been told my placenta was dying with my first and my first was 6 days over due.
    I can look it up if you're particularly interested since I don't OB related stuff, but in ultrasound you can see changes in the texture of the organs as the structure changes, so they might be able to tell from that. Depending on the machine (the ones for the BPP are real old!) you can look at blood flow across the entire organ and see what it looks like. I'm guessing those are the most likely things you'd be able to see and assess on the placenta...

I Know when I had Cobe they checked my placenta approx...1 week before I had him to check to see if anyhthing was wrong, and they told me they were checking to see if the placenta was starting to calcifiy (sp) which is what happens after (whatever the point is in your pregnancy the end anyway) But as for the dying I've never heard of that term...maybe the perosn that told you was trying to maybe put it in terms you could understand better, they did that a lot with me..but I also do agree with the scare tatic theory...
    Becky Mom to X and C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast