Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going to university gift....what do I get??

My nephew is heading off to York University in a few weeks. I'm taking him out for dinner before he goes but would like to give him a gift for when he goes...anyone have any going off to university gift ideas?

He's already got the "bar fridge" and other stuff for his dorm room, and says he plans on getting his "school supplies" when he gets there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Banned

A grocery store GC or a book store GC. Something to help him out. I'm sure the Grocery one will come in handy

Expert Forum User

Is he familiar with Toronto? When I went to school there I wasn't. I had a laminated pocket map I luved. I could write on it and wipe off as needed.

What about a gift certificate for a poster.

Expert Forum User

A beer store or LCBO gift card will ensure he fits in! lol Plus you will be the cool aunt. Wait how old is he?
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

I got my neice one of those shoe organizers than hangs in the closet, you know the ones with all the little pockets, and she says that has been great for storage. I think the grocery store gc is a great idea, too.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Junior Member doubletroublemoms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tan2manykids View Post
    A grocery store GC or a book store GC. Something to help him out. I'm sure the Grocery one will come in handy
    I agree...Gift cards for grocery stores are a great idea!!! That's what we plan on giving my SIL when she goes away for college in the fall...

Expert Forum User

My Aunt bought me a bath towel, regular sized towel, hand towel and washcloth. As silly as that might sound it was the most useful gift I recieved!!!

Expert Forum User

It depends how much you want to spend, but I might suggest a GPS, you can find one for about $150 these days if you get them on sale.

It may sound odd, but you can type in places that you are looking for, ie: the name of the place, or even "Resturants" etc. It would help him find his way around a new city.

I'd have to say a GC as well, you know it will be something that he will be able to use, or even one of those pre-paid Mastercards or American Express cards/GC's, that can be used absolutly anywhere. I've received them at Xmas, and loved the idea.

I recommend a GC as well.
    Find out what food venues there are on campus (eg: subway or tim horton's).
    My brother is away at school and loves getting GCs for places where he can eat on campus.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

I second the GC card idea, impersonal but it will come in handy you dont want poor guy to starve OHH and you should get him some flip flops for the showers not a lot of people think about that until it is too late and you are standing at the doorway with towel in hand lol.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Since he will be residing on campus (you mentioned dorm room), he'll be eating in the cafteria I assume. Gift cards for Tim Horton's and Subway are great options as already mentioned. Maybe a water filter for his fridge to save on buying water bottles. Phone cards to call home? TTC map and some tokens?

Check out York University website and see if they list some handy tips about getting ready for school. You might find your answer there?

Out of curiousity, I checked out York Univ website. Here is what was listed ...

Your residence room comes furnished with a bed, dresser, desk, desk lamp, bookshelves, chair and telephone.

Although not an exhaustive list, things you should consider bringing include: clothes (for a variety of seasons and events); alarm clock; computer; printer; power bar; towels; twin size sheets; blankets; pillow; mattress pad; sticky-tack for your posters; clothes hangers; dictionary; thesaurus; calendar; desk supplies (paper, binders, pens, stapler, etc); wastebasket; scissors and sewing kit; toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.) and a bag to carry them in; bath robe and shower shoes; laundry basket and detergent; envelopes and stamps. Remember, room is limited in residence, so limit what you bring to what you really need. There will be plenty of places on campus and nearby to purchase items you've forgotten.

Based on this list, there is tons of ideas.

Smile

OMG....thank you to all for all the wonderful suggestions...very helpful!!

Expert Forum User

I got my niece one of those little plastic bathroom totes with a handle so she could carry her shampoo and stuff back and forth from the showers, I found that while living in residence it was really handy! I filled it with some shampoo, razors, Tylenol, some Pepto Bismal (lol), Robitussin, etc. Those kinds of things are $$$, and students never think to buy them until it's too late and they have to go to the overpriced campus store. I remember lots of colds going around in the fall and winter in the dorms when I was in school!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast