Poll: Baby Sling vs. Baby Carrier - Which do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baby Sling vs. Baby Carrier?

My husband and I are trying to figure out if we want a baby sling or a baby carrier. Some words of wisdom from those of you experienced in this area would be very helpful!

Which do you prefer? A Sling or a Carrier? What do you think the pros and cons are of each? Can you use both comfortably when they are newborn and when they are a bit older? Which is easier to use?

Thanks!!
    OrganicMom

I really liked my Rolz and Sassy Wrap. I mainly used it tied as a "carrier" (similar to a traditional Snuggly or whatever), but LOVED that it distributed the weight over my whole back and not directly on my shoulders! I like the versatility of the wrap, b/c I could also tie it as a "sling," but I really never was comfortable with it that way (probably b/c I learned the other first). It comes with a DVD that is really helpful too. Once I learned to tie it, there was very little re-tying since the material does not stretch with the baby's weight (I've been advised the CuddlyWrap does this).
    My hubby did prefer the more traditional carrier, so we do have one of those also.
    I also managed to pick up a Rolz and Sassy Ring Sling for our next babe, and am looking forward to trying it out. I'm hoping to be able to breastfeed better/more easily with it, and think it will be quicker to "throw on" when I'm needing to chase my 2 year old around!
    Once other reason I prefer the wrap and the ring sling is that I can still use them with my 2 year old when he needs to be "up"...they've saved my hips some wear and tear I'm sure! My sitter uses her wrap to this day with her 4 year old (smaller stature/weight) when he needs a snuggle and she's up and about! Both our boys are just over 30 lbs. at this point in time!

Expert Forum User

I love my sling. much easier on my back. regular carriers are also good but I found once my babys start getting heavier it was just too much strain on my back.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User

I never really liked my sling (and sadly sold it when she was 8 months old nearly unused). My daugher didnt like the cradle hold and prefered being upright even as a newborn. A wrap would have been alot more useful early on. I did use a mei tie around the house a bit and a bjorn when out and not able to use a stroller. I would love an ergo (or something soft structued) now for when out and about.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I'm not sure what you meant by carrier so I didn't vote.

I prefer my mei tai. When DD was a newborn I didn't try much in the way of different kinds of carriers, but I hear stretchy wraps are awesome for that age group, and slings are good too...

ETA: Not all slings are created equal (this applies to all kinds of carriers). Some of them suck, so maybe you could look for reviews before buying.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Yeah for me it depends on what you mean by carrier. there are a lot of great carriers out there and a lot of crappy ones. depends what you want to do with the carrier - a sling is wonderful for a newborn and very handy for nursing in my experience. it is a one shoulder carrier though so it's not as nice on the back for a heavier baby or longer trips. for that a mei tai or a soft structured carrier like an ergo or a beco are better. woven wraps offer the most flexibility in terms of how many ways you can carry babe, but there is a learning curve and its a lot of fabric to contend with.

if you tell us your needs, we can make some more specific suggestions. also tell us what brands you are looking at if you feel like it. i think having several carriers is a good idea if you really like them, as some are better for young babes and some better for older babes... you can buy them used on the for sale or trade forum here: www.thebabywearer.com and save money.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

v.ridley

I said other - we tried both and neither worked for us maybe I will try again with the next one.

I agree, depends on what you mean by 'carrier' as anything to carry a baby would be a carrier in my mind

I never got the hang of the cradle hold when she was little,plus she liked to be upright even in the sling, which worked alright. I used the wrap a lot when we was little. LOVE my Mei Tai and now have a Buckle-Tei which is more of a soft-structured carrier which I'm loving. I've used my sling more as she has gotten older in the hip carry as it is really easy to leave it on and pop her in and out of it if we are going to do a few errands or if she wants down and then to be carried again, which is something harder to do with other styles of carriers.

I did have a snugli handed down that I tried a couple times around the house till I got the wrap and the snugli went out the door The more 'traditional' store bought carriers (Baby Bjorn, Snugli) have limitations in terms of weight, only being a front/hip carrier that many of the other carriers don't have so they are much more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    I'm not sure what you meant by carrier so I didn't vote.
    From looking at a bunch of different websites I got the impression that "carriers" were the ones with more of a backpack look to the construction - with holes for the arms and legs - such as the Baby Bjorn, Jeep 2-in-1 baby carrier or Clene Baby Carrier...

Maybe it would be more accurate to have categories of:

1) "commercial carriers" (eg. Baby Bjorn)

2) "soft carriers" (such as Mei Tai) that are made of fabrics

3) "wraps" (such as Sassy)

4) "slings" (such as Peanut Shell Microfleece sling and Organic Market Sling by Serena and Lily)

Mainly what I am curious about is how people like/don't like the sling types and the carriers (soft or more commercial) with the holes for arms and legs...
    OrganicMom

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    if you tell us your needs, we can make some more specific suggestions. also tell us what brands you are looking at if you feel like it.
    Hmmm .... I don't really know my needs yet ... other than knowing I don't want to always have to take the stroller everywhere we go (eg crowded public events) ... and I love the idea of having my hands free when I am carrying the baby (eg visiting my parents at the cottage or even just hanging out with friends) ... oh and something we can take hiking ...

I for sure want it to be pretty easy and straightforward to use/put on - especially for my mom and other people to be able to use it with out requiring a lesson to do so.

If it can work to have one that is great ... but if a couple of different things at different ages is better that is fine as well...

Thanks for all the posts so far - keep them coming!!!

For Slings I really like the looks of the Peanut Shell Microfleece Sling (so cute in the chocolate and pink) - and - the Organic Market Sling by Serena & Lilly (beautiful and organic - great combo!)

For Carriers (with the holes for arms and legs) - we have wondered about Clene Baby Carrier or Baby Bjorn or Jeep 2-in-1 Carrier - but really we haven't looked into any of them too much ...

Mainly I am just hoping to hear about why some of you like/don't like slings and carriers so it gives us some ideas as to what we should think about when we are looking and deciding.
    OrganicMom

mumtobelle

I have had number of different carriers. For a newer baby, say up to 6ish months old I prefer a wrap to a sling (used both) and once they get older I much prefer a soft structured carrier or mei tai over a wrap or sling (use both here as well).

Expert Forum User

Carriers such as the Bjorn, Snuggli and Jeep style ones are actually not good for the baby. They put undue stress on hips of the baby since their weight is supported by their crotch area alone. Other carriers like mei tais and SSCs (soft structured carriers) offer more support for your back and the baby is positioned in a more natural position. Rather than dangling from the carrier they are cupped in place. It is more secure and better for their growing bodies.

Personally, I have always used a pouch or ring sling for DS and he still loves it now at 2.5 y/o and 28 lbs. Next time, I would like to try a SSC but at this point, DS will not tolerate one.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

I cant figure out how to nurse in a wrap. And I can't figure out how to enjoy a carrier that takes some time to put on if I can't nurse in it! Maybe as my little one gets a bit bigger we will figure it out, but for the newborn stage the wrap was pretty useless to me. I would spend say 2 minutes tying her in, and then she would start rooting to nurse, so I would have to take her out. I don't get the newborn wrap love at all!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

used a snugli w/ dd1 bc i didnt know any better but really hurt as she got heavier (16ish lbs+). i have a hotsling which is like the peanut, i think, but dd2 does not like it. I mainly use my mei tai or my rolz&sassy wrap - dd2 loves being in both. hopefully when her neck is stronger she will like some different positions in the sling.

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    I cant figure out how to nurse in a wrap. And I can't figure out how to enjoy a carrier that takes some time to put on if I can't nurse in it! Maybe as my little one gets a bit bigger we will figure it out, but for the newborn stage the wrap was pretty useless to me. I would spend say 2 minutes tying her in, and then she would start rooting to nurse, so I would have to take her out. I don't get the newborn wrap love at all!
    we dont nurse in it. i put her in after feeding - it gets any last gas out, lol, and then she's asleep within 30seconds until i stop moving or take her out... thats why i love it
    (sorry, nak)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast