Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SydneysMom

Default Which Pump to buy?

With Avent suddenly becoming blacklisted I need to invest in a new breast pump system for the impending birth of my second daughter. I bought the Gerber Express & Go but have not opened it. Came home and read the reviews online = not good! Plus the bottles that it comes with aren't BPA free. So needless to say, it's going back to the store. So at square one again...anyone have any recommendations? Which pumps they like and which ones come with a BPA free line?

Thanks!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Gerber is crap... any of those "cheapy" ones are.

medela pump in style, medela mini electric, or ameda (sp) are the best in my opinion. (I exculsivly pumped for 13 months)
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

I borrowed a medela mini electric from a friend and did not like it at all. It was an older model but I've seen a newer one and it looked the same. I will admit I never used the electric option, only did it manually but it took two hands and was tireing. I bought a Avent and loved it which of course I have now returned, but I know the health unit sells three brands (Avent, another one just like avent, and the medela) and they are cheaper than stores as they are not for profit. Maybe check out a bf clinic from the health unit. They let you take them out of the box and 'try' them.

Ali

I agree with the pp that the Medela Pump in Style is good. I also used it for 12 months and it was great. Another brand that is supposed to be equally as good is the Ameda Purely Yours pump. I think I would choose it over the Medela because it's quieter and lighter. The pump part is as small as a book. Both of these are better than mini electric pumps which are meant only for very occasional use. The bottles that come with these pumps are BPA free.

Loooove the Medela pumps! BPA free and easy to use.

Default Pump preference

I used the Ameda purely yours dual electric pump. I picked it because it was way cheaper then the Medela, and it fits the glass bottles you can get from Evenflo. Also, the horns cost $50 on their own from the hospital so if there is a chance you need to pump whilst in hospital you don't need to spend extra money to buy another set of horns, you can just use the ones that come with the pump (they use an Ameda/Hollister pump at London hospitals so they are compatible). Plus, because of the way the pump is made, you can actually buy/sell your pump online and just change the horns. You can buy your pump from some of the home based mothers as well instead of large big box stores!

I've invested in Medela - the one manual/electric & batery operated. Expensive but good. I was able to pump at work as well - where you rather want quiet one, manual.
    Don't burn the bottles - happent to me - when boiling them. Had to replace - order on-line only...
    BEst,

mumtobelle

I had the Medela double...Pump In Style I think???

It was excellent. Spend the money on a good one if you think you are going to need it quite a bit.

I am all for medela pump in style...I also used their manual pump. It is worth the extra money.

im looking into the playtex embrace .. only sold in the US though ..
    ~ Mamabear to twins! ~

Expert Forum User

I've been using the Medela pump (manual & electric) and it's awesome. I had a problem with the cup not attaching to the motor because my hubby put it on the lower rack in the dishwasher. Medela mailed me a new one in less than 30 hours. They were SUPER fast and I was waaaay beyond the warranty. I got the replacement part for free which was so nice of them.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I was using my SILs Medela double pump, but she needed it after having her baby recently, so i went out and bought the Medela Swing pump. It's small, BPA free bottles, and can be used with adapter or battery. I love it and it was worth the $.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have the Avent Isis and have used it with both my kids, but I only use it to pump, I store the milk in the Playtex drop ins for the freezer. That should be ok, the drop ins are BPA free as far as I know.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

It depends on the amount you plan to pump and your budget. If you plan to pump occasionally for comfort of the occasional feed not at the breast, a hand pump will do the trick. Many women find they have more success with hand expressing if it's only for occasional use. If you need more frequent use of a pump, an electric, double electric or hospital grade would be more suitable.

As for brands, Medela, Ameda and Avent all make good pumps. Any brand that can be associated with infant solids (Gerber, etc) are generally crap and are designed IMO for you to fail as your failure is in their best interest, kwim?

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

were looking at what to buy also, and there only seems to be the Medela and First year pumps available that are BPA free.

Was surprised to find out that none of the breast pumps were pulled in the states for the BPA scare. So you have a much better choice of brands there. IF your not concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast