Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Question Going on airplane first time with kids... what do we need?

We are going away for a week and half to visit family out west. Now that Alex is 2 - we have 4 seats on the plane.

Whats the obvious things we should/need to bring;
    things we can bring if necessary & have the space
    & things we dont need to bring?

We are debating about the car seat thing too. We have a car on loan while we are there, but I think only 1 seat to use - Liam's 35lb - so not big enough for a booster. We can bring ours, but how do you manage 2 carseats, 2 kids, luggage for everyone?
    Last edited by L&AMOM; 07-04-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

That will be difficult...we travelled with my sister's 2 kids. We didn't have car seats with us though, and it was still hard (we had two flights).

I recommend going to Dollarama or somewhere cheap to get a bunch of new toys or little things to keep them busy during the flight. That worked wonders with us. Also the planes we were on didn't have tvs so we brought the portable DVD player too. A comfort item (if they have one) would probably help. My niece who was 3 loved the flights, she didn't want to get off the plane!

Also have them chew gum or eat a snack on take-off and landing. Be prepared for delays too, we were stuck in the airport for 6 hours.

I'm a habitual over-packer, so I can't say there's anything you don't need to bring. We tried to keep the carry-on as efficient as possible though, since we had to lug it all over the airport.
    Last edited by MrsKK; 07-04-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Expert Forum User

I agree, lots of new toys, books, snacks and any comfort items you can think of. You can drop your car seat off with your luggage if you want it for when you get to your destination. When you check in, make sure you are all sitting together. The last flight we had there was me, a child then my husband. The mother was across the isle in the next seat. Needless to say we switched seats with the mother.

Portable DVD player, favorite movies, snacks, drugs...LOL

Have fun!!

Most car rental places have carseats and they are usually like new as they do not want to deal with the liability issues. I'd call the place you are renting from B 4 taking my own. I have never taken my own car seats/booster.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 1moremakes4 View Post
    Most car rental places have carseats and they are usually like new as they do not want to deal with the liability issues. I'd call the place you are renting from B 4 taking my own. I have never taken my own car seats/booster.

Thanks for the suggestion - but we have a car on loan from a family member - we arent renting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam&Alex'sMama View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion - but we have a car on loan from a family member - we arent renting one.

Oh, no suggestions for that...SORRY!

Expert Forum User

DS has been on over 100 flights so I consider us pretty seasoned travellers with one though we've never done it with 2... I assume your DH will be with you? If so, it should be easy... I'll BBIAB with some suggestions.

MM
    Last edited by MilkyMama; 07-04-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Junior Member doubletroublemoms's Avatar

I don't have any suggestions, just that I'm oh so jealous...

I would LOVE to take my boys out west to visit my family...But with twin toddlers, I just stress out on all the stuff that we'd have to pack (2 playpens, 2 booster seats, our double stroller etc)...And then afraid of what to expect when they're actually ON the plane...To think that I myself hate the 5+ hrs flight to Vancouver (from Toronto), and to put 19 month olds in the same situation....

Money-wise, this is the best time to take them too, because when they're under 2, they're free (as long as they don't take up a seat)...But I'm just too afraid

When you get back, you should let us know how the trip (and the flight) went!

We flew to Newfoundland last summer with the three of them. We had stupid flights at 5am because they were cheaper, and luckily on the way home that worked in my favour as the baby slept the whole way. We put 2 of us in each row - Mike +1 kid was in front/behind me and I had Katie and a kid. The older two were no problem, they coloured and watched the TVs.

We brought a bunch of little toys and food. Food is always good.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the suggestions so far ladies!

Expert Forum User

I have traveled several times with my two (by myself) and here are some things I would for sure recommend. FYI,my kids are 5 and 3...

A change of clothes for everyone, in your carry-on, just in case of an accident or spill. No one wants to be wet for hours.

A full package of wipes

extra ziplock bags for garbage, wet clothes, organizing toys, half eaten/opened food

gum and snacks, but not ones high in sugar...drinks, consider hydration but anticipated pee time. ? 45 minutes later? Remember you cannot take your own fluid past security. I usually bring their favourite cup and fill it once we get past the security check.

small treasures from the dollar store, but not too many. I am also a habitual over-packer, and if you have too many, it becomes confusing.

tiny books, found at chapters. They are full reads but about 2 - 3 square inches. The kids get a huge kick out of them, but they take up very little space.

crayons, and paper

Dvd player. and/or cd player with books on CD. My kids love these.

I usually bring the stroller right up to the plane and they will check it under for you

I have brought my carseats and just checked they with my luggage. Wrap them in clear plastic bags and tape them up. Remember to pack another clear bag for the trip home. When you get to your destination you will probably rip the bag off and won't be able to use it for the way home.

I used to pack each childs backpack with their own stuff, but now I pack it so it is easy for me...all food, all books, all electronics...go in one or the other. No more separating his snack in his bag, her books in hers. This became too confusing. When it was time for stories, I knew where to go. YKWIM?

I used to pack some stuff for me to do too, TOTAL waste of time!!!!! The books I packed for myself in my carry-on were not used at all. (I was way to busy entertaining the children) Bring one mag. if you feel the need.

I also bring drugs just in case. Travel is way harder if someones tummy is sick, or mommy has a headache.

Have fun!

Expert Forum User

Bump adding here - travel time is just around the corner! ACK! Not ready not ready not ready..

Expert Forum User

I agree with lila's mum not to give them each their own backpack. I did that on our last trip and ended up digging through two bags to find stuff instead of one. Car seats are awkward, and I have never had to take two. I always just checked mine with the luggage (wrapped in plastic bag as pp suggested).

One 'toy' suggestion I have is those reusable stickers, the ones that peel off and stick again. My kids have fun sticking those on the airplane windows. Last place I saw them was Wal-Mart.

Neither of my boys will wear those headphones they provide on the plane, they both say they can't keep them on their ears, so we take some from home. Since they only have one jack, they only work in one ear but they don't seem to care. Don't expect them to watch the in-flight movie. We were on a flight recently that was showing the "Bee Movie" and I thought they would love it, but the 3 y/o couldn't see well enough, and the older one seemed to be too easily distracted.

An expensive but great gadget we have is our PSP...it is an absolute life-saver on long trips! You can download movies or TV shows to it, music, and games!

I don't take a change of clothes for all of us, I take one t-shirt in the older boy's size as it will fit the little one in an emergency, and I throw in a pair of cotton shorts for the little one (he was just potty trained on our last trip, so I thought just incase).

If you take empty sippy cups, the airline will give you milk, water, or whatever in them...we even got milk once while the plane was still boarding.

Can't think of anything else at the moment...I hope you have a smooth trip!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

Well at least we only have to bring 1 car seat now. I will wrap it up as PP as suggested and checking it as luggage. Everyone is able to bring 2 large luggage and 2 carry ons. The car seat classifies as a lg piece of luggage. Some how I cant fathom bringing 16 pcs of luggage regardless of what is...

At this point I have 1 - 28" pcs for both DH and I, 1 - 24" pcs for each of the kids, and carseat, 2 carryons (still have to pack...) and who knows what else....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast