Thread: bad ultrasound

Arrow bad ultrasound

No I'm not pregnant.
    I have back issues.
    which led to an xray, led to an ultrasound, led to an internal ultrasound...as they kept finding something...

So, yesterday during my physical doc tells me they found a tumor..but it appears to be dead.
    So i get that means inactive...?.... any nurses out there?
    and they are going to preform another ultrasound in 6 months to ensure it hasn't changed.
    I haven't heard of this kind of thing and was wondering if anyone else had this? -heard of this?
    When i asked the doc he just patted me on the leg and said No worries we are going to monitor it and its fine it appears to be dead..... i asked if there was a connection with the pap smears they have had to do ever 6 months as they kept finding things off there too, but btw children -over the last 3 yrs - they also said pregnancy can affect these things (meaning the swab)....
    I'm confused....

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

MOMOF2

I just guessing but you said you had an interal u/s which sounds to me they are looking at you pelvic region maybe they seen a fibroid or something like that we have had alot of patients that are monitered every 6 months to see if it has grown from my understanding it is nothing that is life threatening. JMO
    but if you are worried about consult you doctor with your questions and concerns.

Hope this helps

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Wow "dead tumor" or not it must still be pretty scary to be left with all these questions. Hopefully there is a nurse in our wonderful world of LMs who can help you, if not I would talk to your doctor again - that's what they are they for... to help us understand.

Good luck and I am glad that it's nothing serious...
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Wow Tami... how frustrating is that to be undermined by you health provider...I'd be pissed if they tapped me on the leg and told me not to worry. Did they say what it could be from? I mean I know that I trust doctors as long as they aren't huddle up whispering to one another (Seen that way too often with Yale in hospital) Seems to me if they were concerned would they not have said so?

Still totally frustrating... and is it the tumor that is casing the back issues? or just something they found when looking? LOL... I guess I am of no help, I probably just gave you a whole bunch more questions.
    Yale 4yr old
    Kane 1yr old
    and baby makes 3!!! Errr... 4!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Wow Tami! I think that's awful how the Dr just patted you on the leg and said it was nothing to worry about and they'll check you again in 6 months...esp since there was no real explanation to go along with any of this!
    I know what it's like to have back issues I've been contending with a very sore and bad back since the age of 27 and I am now 35. Day to day life can be very hard with 2 young children. My back was never this bad until after having 2 children, in case any of you are wondering the reason with a bad back why would I even bother to get pregnant. I also had an undiagnosed herniated disc in my lower back for a long time that got worse with time and age (thank god it's been dealt with and now gone, thanks to the Spinal decompression I paid so much money to have done on it!). I also had no idea until after my 2nd son was born that I even have Scoliosis and to a moderate degree at that. I ahd to request to have an xray done.
    I want to wish you all the luck in the world with this issue with this so called dead tumour. Furthermore, if it's no big deal, at least according to the Dr who told you this, why then are you still suffering with a sore back to this day? Perhaps you should request either a CT scan or an MRI be done which will show uop even more things than a simple xray?
    I think I'd also be asking to get some further clarification on this 'dead tumour' thing. It's your body, your health and you have every right in the world to receive a better explanation and the outright truth than you did, IMO!
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 06-25-2008 at 10:01 AM.

okay so he leaves for his own country until the end of july...
    but i was told that dead means that it isn't growing or active and thats a good think.
    Not cancerous which is why there isn't a concern but important to follow up to make sure there are no changes....
    Not real comfortable with that..my view if it doesn't belong then take it out!
    I would of though after all the tests and c-sections and tying my tubes they would of seen somethig...?...
    No it doesn't have anything to do with my back..the back is a bulging disc, that pinches my sciatic nerve and is causing numbness and weakness down my right leg...
    So i have an MRI on the way....
    and apparently this tumor thing is common to see... sometimes its cancer and sometimes its not...?...
    which they did tell me agian mine was not -well thank god.
    thanks for the info ladies
    and yes 2boysmom, having back issues and babies is hard but well worth the adjustment..their faces improve your day in seconds...thx

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

Wow! Sorry to hear that I found the response from the doctor crazy! I'm glad you have the update saying that it is benign not cancerous and doesn't seem to be growing. I'm doing ultrasound related to cancer for my project and when I hear tumour I always thing cancer these days and I've never heard of someone saying a cancerous tumour is dead when they find it, so I was really unsure what the heck they'd be talking about!

Did they tell you the type of tumours? I know uterine fibroids are very common, while they can cause some side effects, many times they don't do anything and surgery is very invasive.

Thinking of you, any kind of news like this always makes you feel anxious and concerned, and rightly so!

Expert Forum User

I think you should request further testing. I have to go for ultrasound every few months because I carry the cancer gene in my family and they said that If they see anything on or near my ovaries,tubes,uterus ect then they have to do further testing because cancer will not show up in ultrasound(im no dr but thats what I was told). Not trying to scare you but I always feel when it comes to someones health its better to be on the safe side. Your dr is probably right as he's the one who has gone to medical school but its best to keep in mind that dr's arnt always right. I hope its nothing serious and you get the answers you need.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

skye so how do you know you carry a cancer gene? I didn't know one could have this type of knowledge... is it a test or just the odds by genetics....?

Lauren, he didn't say...and I didn't know to ask. My doc is gone so when he gets back if i find out what type...then what are the types?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami&amber View Post
    skye so how do you know you carry a cancer gene? I didn't know one could have this type of knowledge... is it a test or just the odds by genetics....?

Lauren, he didn't say...and I didn't know to ask. My doc is gone so when he gets back if i find out what type...then what are the types?
    Since it didn't seem to be super clear where the tumour is, I'd want to know more details just so you could read up and feel comfortable with it. Uterine fibroids are the most common benign tumour I know of. I don't know a tonne about tumours, but less about benign than malignant For me at least, if I knew exactly what type I was dealing with it would give me some piece of mind to read some details and feel okay with it.

I'm guessing Skye is talking about the BRCA gene mutations that are associated with breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Since it is a gene mutation it can be inherited and they can test for it. For women who know that is runs in the family, it allows them to be tracked from an earlier age to make sure any cancer is detected early.

It isn't that you can't see cancerous lesions on ultrasound, however, ovarian tumours can be hard to see as they are by nature buried among a lot of other things which makes it hard to visualize what is going on sometimes. Monitoring to follow-up is always a good idea if they suspect or see something.

I'd write down a list of questions for the doctor when he returns, I'm sure you'll think of a bunch! Hope you're doing alright, physically and emotionally!

I'm guessing Skye is talking about the BRCA gene mutations that are associated with breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Since it is a gene mutation it can be inherited and they can test for it. For women who know that is runs in the family, it allows them to be tracked from an earlier age to make sure any cancer is detected early.
    Yeah, thats what Skye is talking about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Yeah, thats what Skye is talking about.
    How do you get tested for that>?
    My Mom and Grandmother both passed away from pre menstral breast cancer.
    Thanks

sorry for the hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tan2manykids View Post
    How do you get tested for that>?
    My Mom and Grandmother both passed away from pre menstral breast cancer.
    Thanks

sorry for the hijack.
    I'm not sure how Skye was able to get it tested. I just know she did, and why. Lol

I'm sure you could send her a PM and ask.

She's offline for a couple of days, if not at least the next two weeks- She's on her way to town for a visit!

So sorry to hear that you have to worry about something like this. It sounds like everything is alright though. I know you mentioned before that you have a lot of back problems so I hope that eventually the pain goes away and whatever is causing you discomfort is cured also. Sending out some healing vibes.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. ~MLK Jr.