Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Fluoride in your kids tooth paste

We were at the dentist today and we got chatting about the lack of fluoride in our tap water here in London, due to it not being available. Does anyone remember hearing about this? I do vaguely, but never gave it too much thought obviously. Anyhow, it seems that many children are coming in with alarming amounts of tooth decay. I was very pleased to hear that my children's teeth looked great, but it really got me thinking. Do you use a fluoridated tooth paste for you children? I think I'll have to be switching. I know it says over the age of 6, but my kids don't swallow it anyhow, so I think it should be OK.

What does everyone else use? Did you even realize this was an issue here in London? (am I the only one in the dark?) (sad)

I use fluoride toothpaste and as a mom who has wished she used it since 2 years old... I would recommend it to all parents. I know they say it's not good for kids, but a little I think can sometimes do more good than harm. If you use too much they say adult teeth can grow in all spotty which is not pleasing looking plus it can cause up set stomach but even my child's dentist recommends fluoride toothpaste and fluoride leave on treatment for kids.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I had no idea there was an issue in London either. So you aren't the only one in the dark. Camryn is 5 1/2 and has been using toothpaste with floride since about the age of 4. We only put a pea size amount on her toothbrush. She has some of the kiddy paste but I don't think it cleans as well as the adult stuff. She gets to use hers in the morning but I use ours on her teeth at bed time.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't believe the whole flouride thing, in all honesty and me and my kids will never use it. http://www.all-natural.com/fleffect.html this is just a quick google search, but states why I choose not to, but like everyone we all have to do our own research and decide which choice we are comfortable with. IMO to take sugar out of our kids diet would be way better at preventing cavities.

I would have assumed London to have fluoridated water, to be honest. Most towns and cities do. That's interesting!

I do use fluoride toothpaste on my son, every other night. I'm in Windsor though, not sure of the water content here since I thought london would have it, I thought we would too...who knows. However when I brush his teeth, I don't use a ton of paste. I don't see any reason to. I also don't buy the ones that are mostly like candy, y'know..sparkle gels and all that. I buy ones that have the baking soda in it, and are pretty bland, so that it's not so tempting to swallow
    Every other night though we use the ones for littler kids, that do taste good, but he knows if he doesn't spit, he doesn't get ot use it kwim.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I used floride toothpaste i think after he was 3..just a small amount..those baby toothpastes once he got older he didn't really like..he liked ours better.by then he knew not to swollow anyway..and i think to that i'n not a firm believer on that fluoride thing..honestly, if they are going to have bad teeth it woulndt' matter how much candy or brushing you did..it would help but not prevent it necessarily..my friends kids brushed each day 2 times a day since they started getting teeth and never ate candy and both boys teeth are so decayed they are being pulled and cavities are being filled at the age of 3..her dentist says some people have awsome teeth some it dones't matter what you do there is always a problem..so i think ..take care of your kids teeth the best you know how..teach them good habits with the brushing and hope for the best..

Banned

As usual London Moms is my news source.

Only my oldest uses flouridated toothpaste, and I switched him over when his first baby tooth fell out. I never really thought about it, just assumed fluoride was in the water. Why hasn't our dentist mentioned this to me?! Anyway, he doesn't like the fluoridated toothpaste and keeps asking to use the other one.

I guess I should switch my girls over too then!

Expert Forum User

My kids both use toothpaste with flouride. They have been using it for about 6mths.

Expert Forum User

It is my understanding from my Dentist that there is flouride 'generally' in London's drink water but that on occassion there are lapses in how much if any due to shortages so it is not wise to rely on this as the only source for protecting teeth from decay.

Here is an article from last year talking about this issue...

http://lfpress.ca/cgi-bin/publish.cg...16174&s=health

My dentist explained that part of the rise in tooth decay is not from any one cause but many - increase in our sugary diet, serving children more juice in bottles and sipper cups that allow suger to get stuck behind teeth, the decrease in flouride used when young - not because their is less in our tap water but because a large percentage of households do not serve tap water to their LO's but serve bottled water of some sort where it has been removed all this in combination with using a flouride free toothpaste for too long....he suggested switching to flouride toothpaste as soon as child was old enough to understand how to spit and not swallow and to always only use a tiny bit of toothpaste and supervise children to ensure they are spitting.

Quote Originally Posted by my2babies View Post
    I don't believe the whole flouride thing, in all honesty and me and my kids will never use it. http://www.all-natural.com/fleffect.html this is just a quick google search, but states why I choose not to, but like everyone we all have to do our own research and decide which choice we are comfortable with. IMO to take sugar out of our kids diet would be way better at preventing cavities.
    I couldn't agree more. My kids use UNflourinated toothpaste (Tom's of Maine is very good). We also do NOT get the flouride treatments when they visit the dentist for check-ups.

I think there is way too much flourine in my opinion. My kids are 8 and 5 (in two weeks) and neither of them has ever had flouride treatments nor have they ever used flourinated toothpaste and they have great teeth. No cavities ever.

I also agree with eliminating alot of sugar and juice. Goes a long way in preventing tooth decay.

No one in our household uses fluoridated toothpaste.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

girlsmum

Quote Originally Posted by Siana View Post
    No one in our household uses fluoridated toothpaste.
    Same here, you can use all the fluoride on your teeth in the world which is toxic to the body, ergo the "don't swallow" thing, but if you don't have a good diet to support the bones that keep your teeth in place and nourishment to your teeth you will lose them anyway. Besides which, the reason why kid's toothpaste tastes SOO good is that it's sweetened with........................SUGAR! A bit contradictory, actually VERY!

A good tea tree toothpaste or the SeaFresh by Jason is perfect for us.

Expert Forum User

My old dentist told me to be careful with some of the childrens toothpaste because some do contain sugar and that theres no point brushing your kids teeth if your gonna brush with something sugary. My daughter always uses my toothpaste since she was about 1.5 years old. I think she likes having minty breath just like me lol. But her teeth are in awsome shape(was just at the dentist a couple weeks ago) and the dentists there said the same thing about childrens toothpaste and being careful about reading the labels. I think the bigger thing is taking all other steps to keep your childs teeth clean. don't feed them candy or pop or other junk too often and always brush everyday no matter what toothpaste you have. I never pay much attention to the toothpaste and my daughters teeth are whiter then snow and perfectly healthy.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User

I started using fluoride toothpaste with my kids when they mastered the art of spitting. I also limit candy, they don't get sticky candy like toffee, and I never skip brushing their teeth at night. My eldest has had one cavity, but he is also a very stubborn boy so it's hard to make him brush properly.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Zoo

Ok, stupid question alert. If swallowing fluoridated toothpaste is so terrible, why do they put it in our *water*?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast