Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Question What should I sell it for?

Okay so we have decided to sell our van and get a car due to the rising gas prices. As much I hated driving a van I am really going to miss it.

Just curious what I should list it for? I know I should list higher then I actually will accept but what is a decent price for a used van?

It is a 2004 Pontiac Montana with 97,000kms on it. It is in excellent condition (except needing an oil change which will be done on Friday).

DH looked on the autotraders site and it says that a van of this year can range from $8,000-13,000
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

I say it depends on what you guys still owe on it...I mean if you owe $11 000, its not worth selling for $8 000. KWIM, I would list a little "higher" and be willing to neg. on price?

Catherine
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Expert Forum User

The problem might be that the current selling price on a fully loaded Montana is only $18K pre-tax.

GM has rolled out a big price cut on a well equipped Pontiac Montana SV6 mode. For $17,998 (down from $24,198), you can get buckle up in a 2008 model with the following options:
    • 3.9L 240hp SFI VWT V6 Engine
    • Automatic Transmission
    • Full Function Traction Control
    • Air Conditioning
    • Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control System
    • OnStar with 1-Year Safe and Sound Plan
    • iPod Audio Input Jack
    • 4-Wheel Disc Brakes with ABS
    • Remote Keyless Entry System
    • Power Windows/Locks/Mirrors
    • Power Rear Quarter Vent Windows With Deep Tint Glass
    That's a ton of features to have included for just under $18000 (cash purchase price). This offer can be seen on page A18 of the June 17 edition of the Toronto Star. The page also directs you to BuyPontiac.ca, but the listed $17,998 offer there doesn't refer to as many options as the one seen in the Toronto Star.
    Have you looked into the car options? The issue is that vans are largely car based and not truck based so the fuel consumption is comparable to many mid/full-sized cars. Just make sure you will be saving by selling the van at a possible loss.

As for the price, I would list it 10-20% above the price you are actually hoping to receive.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    The problem might be that the current selling price on a fully loaded Montana is only $18K pre-tax.

Have you looked into the car options? The issue is that vans are largely car based and not truck based so the fuel consumption is comparable to many mid/full-sized cars. Just make sure you will be saving by selling the van at a possible loss.

As for the price, I would list it 10-20% above the price you are actually hoping to receive.

MM

We saw a really cute 2002 Kia something (almost like a wagon but not as big ??). I loved our old Kia and I know they are reliable and stuff and good on gas.

That sucks that GM is slashing their prices on their vans though... I think I am kinda up the creek without a paddle.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User

I have a feeling it will be a hard sell.

People are unloading vans and trucks everywhere right now.

Our dealerships are so stocked with them, we are turning some people away.

You may just be better off in the long run keeping it.

"The secret to having it all... Is knowing you already do."

v.ridley

The toyota website will give ytou the blue book value.
    just so you know, We just bought a 2001 Pontiac Montana under 100 K - and we paid 4,500 for it. I would expect that a 2004 could get 6,500 or 7,000.

Good luck thuogh, driving down the road, I see everyone selling large vehicles - trucks, etc, I think the market is for small cars and larger vehicles simply won't sell as fast

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Honestly? I don't think it's worth trying to sell at this point. My advice would instead be to change your habits - perhaps pick up a bike or two, and a bike trailer, and try riding with the kids as much as possible. Or get a monthly bus pass for your husband for work. At $70 it's much cheaper than gas.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Cuties View Post
    We saw a really cute 2002 Kia something (almost like a wagon but not as big ??). I loved our old Kia and I know they are reliable and stuff and good on gas.

That sucks that GM is slashing their prices on their vans though... I think I am kinda up the creek without a paddle.
    Was it a Kia RIO RX-V??? I owned one and they were not that good on gas....(Mind you I LOVED it!!! Mine was bright green)