Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Are due date calculators correct?

Okay ladies. According to the doctors I am now 32 weeks pregnant. YAY me lol.. the end is almost near..

But the thing is they are going by the first day of my last period. Which was Nov 3rd 2007. I had my IUD removed on Nov 9th (Fri) and then me and DH had sex for the first time since the IUD removal on the 24th.

So technically I couldn't have gotten pregnant between the 9th and the two weeks after the 24th correct? I am so confused and don't know how the doctor's can use the last period as a guide...

I was over due with my last pregnancy and I really am unsure what over due is for me this time. They say my due date is the 8,9,11,12 and 15 lol.. dang.

I know what you mean. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was still having my cycle for like 2 months so the dr's had a hard time pinpointing the date of conception but what they ended up doing was measuring the size of my uterus and that gave them a rough estimate for my due date. Maybe thats what their doing with you. But even that method was off by like 2 weeks lol

Expert Forum User

I have a friend that is now 6 weeks pregnant and still has her IUD in. They are not removing it until she is 9 weeks pregnant!!!

v.ridley

Yes they do count fro your last peiod - so the count basically two weeks before conception.
    That means only 38 weeks carrying.

They count from last period. For this baby though based on Ultrasound measurements my due date got moved up a week.

mumtobelle

Your due date can also be affected by how many days you go between cycles. Some women menstruate every 28 days, some women it's every 35 days. My midwife changed my due date by close to a week because I have such long cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by v.ridley View Post
    Yes they do count fro your last peiod - so the count basically two weeks before conception.
    That means only 38 weeks carrying.

What does that mean, so women don't carry for 40-42 weeks? It's actually 38?..and I am 32 weeks so I only have 6 weeks left? Oh my.

This is a gr8 site for any questions about pregnancy and your child after birth. You can put your expected due date in and follow your pregnancy. I used this site for my whole pregnancy and still refer to it at times. Good luck with you expected little one.
    http://www.babycenter.com/

v.ridley

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBlondy View Post
    What does that mean, so women don't carry for 40-42 weeks? It's actually 38?..and I am 32 weeks so I only have 6 weeks left? Oh my.
    Nice try :P
    If you are 32 weeks - then conception happened approximately 30 weeks ago....
    That means you still have 8 weeks to go!
    Best of luck. I still have ... 30 weeks to go - wanna trade?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

well and the other thing is that if you *know* you didn't get pg til the 24th i would get them to adjust your due date til later... count back two weeks from the 24th and pretend that is the first day of your last period. because otherwise you are risking them trying to induce you for postdates when you are not even due yet!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

I would think they would take into account the IUD and stuff, but I have no clue either lol

I was temping and using Ovulation strips to concieve so I was CERTAIN of when I ovulated and when my due date would be. Yet each ultrasound and appointment changes things and I have now gone from a November 14th due date to a Novemver 1st due date..although I am definatley not complaining, I have no clue how it works.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Mommymanda, if you know when you ovulated seriously I would go with that! Calculate your due date by finding the date 14 days before you ovulated and pretending that was the first day of your last period. 'They' assume all women have 28 day cycles and have no idea when we ovulate, so the due dates we get just calculating from our last periods are approximate at best. If they are telling you that you are two weeks further along than you know you are, that might be nice now because who doesnt want to be further along in their pregnancy, kwim? But at the end they are going to be pressuring you for an induction even sooner than they already would, because these days the medical establishment is super induction happy, and you are even two weeks less pregnant than they think you are! I think best policy is to try to get the latest possible due date on record with the doc, not the earliest, or you have extra risk of a thousand unpleasant, premature interventions at the end.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    well and the other thing is that if you *know* you didn't get pg til the 24th i would get them to adjust your due date til later... because otherwise you are risking them trying to induce you for postdates when you are not even due yet!
    Yikes that scares me because I have already told them but they said it goes by my last period. I have no clue.. I really hope I don't get induced... wow

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBlondy View Post
    Yikes that scares me because I have already told them but they said it goes by my last period. I have no clue.. I really hope I don't get induced... wow
    well you can always refuse! and tell them you know you didnt get your iud out and then have a possibility of gettng pregnant until much later. the last period thing is a *very* rough estimate. with my first daughter i had my last period in november and didn't get pregnant until mid january!

Expert Forum User

I had figured when the time comes I would also put up a fight on being induced..Yet all my ultrasounds are measuring where the Dr. put me...so really I am not sure what is going on, but I figure if baby is measuring at a Nov. 1 due date than I must have ovulated early without the strips/temps catching it....Blondeblondy, what are your ultrasounds showing? They do use that and it is a little more accurate than the menstral charting...although again not in my case lol
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast