Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Exclamation What to do when daycare goes on vaca & there's no backup?

My awesomest daycare provider is leaving next Thurs to go on vaca for 2 weeks. Normally this isnt an issue, but the last month has been a little chaotic.

My DH has been out of town since last week and will be working in T.O. consistently until at least June 16th.

Our back up - the inlaws - won't be working as my FIL just got out of the hospital from surgery last weekend and won't be in any condition to a) leave his place to come here with MIL and look after the kids - b) nor can I bring them there for long durations as my MIL has enough with all of my FIL requests!

Im working almost full time at a clients house right now trying to get her house painted so she can move in while renovations are taking place at the same time and taking 2 weeks off from there - would really put a damper on this job!

Is/would anyone taking on temp care for 2 kids for a couple of weeks? I need some options here before I have to make arrangements for care for next week. She leaves on Thurs.

Thanks!

edited to add - I live near Clarke & Dundas and the job is located behind Maisonville Mall - so areas off Dundas, Clarke, Highbury, Huron, Windermere & Richmond would be ideal so Im not driving completely over the city.
    Last edited by L&AMOM; 06-06-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Expert Forum User

Swing - that isnt much notice? Did she just let you know she was taking vacation or did time run away on you?

I am on the London Home Childcare Providers website (masiesmoms site) and we have a 'back up providers' list of proviers who are willing to just what you are asking....what area of town are you in? If you wanted to pm me your contact information I could place an post for you and whom ever is in your area and available could email you and you could set up some quick interviews and find a match hopefully?

Expert Forum User

Swing - that isnt much notice? Did she just let you know she was taking vacation or did time run away on you?

Well its more of one than the other... so much has been going on - I hadnt realized it was only next week. She told our family first. About 2 weeks ago. But I thought my husband would be home by then and hes been waiting for a schedule at where hes stationed. Hes covering a strike at another job site and he just found out tonite thats hes there for at least another week or more! UGH.
    Last edited by L&AMOM; 06-07-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: timing off on notice...

Expert Forum User

Totally, if you want to expend the energy and do that for me - I would really appreciate it! The hours would be flexible, but I havent been working past 5 - so with travel time - it would be between 8.30am-10am start to about 5:30pm.

Expert Forum User

Are you north / south / east / west? Just so you only get those in the communting area cause there are providers from all over

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by totallyawake View Post
    Are you north / south / east / west? Just so you only get those in the communting area cause there are providers from all over
    (this added to my first post)
    edited to add - I live near Clarke & Dundas and the job is located behind Maisonville Mall - so areas off Dundas, Clarke, Highbury, Huron, Windermere & Richmond would be ideal so Im not driving completely over the city

Expert Forum User

Anybody have any ideas?

Banned

That is short notice. I hope you find someone quickly. I'd offer but you don't know me . And I haven't done any kind of home childcare since before Noah was born. Good Luck

Expert Forum User

I posted a message on the homeproviders website - I told the ladies to either log in here and pm you directly if they are a member here or pm my their contact info and I will pass it along to you here!

hopefully someone can help you out

Expert Forum User

Thank you so far...

Wow. I hope I am not offending the provider if they frequent this site but......

Two to three weeks notice to take a WEEK off is NOT enough notice in my opinion. Being a home daycare provider myself I always give my familes atleast 2 months notice for actual planned vacation time. In fact, if I had planned some time off and I knew about it I would tell my families about it whether it was 2 months or 12 months away. KWIM?

Sorry, I can't personally help out out right now. Margaret (totallyawake) had some great ideas. I just wanted you to know that you are not unreasonable to think that the timing was a bit off and the notice short.

Expert Forum User

I think Im set atm... I spoke to a dad whos daycare is looking for more kids. We have an appt to meet tomorrow morning.

Thanks to those who replied = it's nice to know there is some love out there!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Oh man! This is exactly what I would love to do but dh has gutted our bathroom and the house is pretty non functioning right now. Not great for my little ones let alone somebody else's.

There is a place called Playzone in the same building as my son's preschool. They are a licensed 'drop in' centre where you pay by the hour. Staff are ECEs and it is a nice new bright building. You need to call and book in your kids and give 24 hours notice to be given a spot but you should be able to book a couple of weeks unless they are full. You could try them. They are in the Jewish community centre(it's not a jewish daycare, just same building) Not sure of the number but I'm sure you could google. Just ask the secretary that answers as I believe they are the ones who sell you the playzone time cards.

Oh they are on Huron/Adelaide. I'm in the east end near clarke/trafalgar and it takes me about 15 minutes depending on lights.

hope that helps!
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

i am able to help you out. i did pm you so hope to hear from you soon. i am a child care provider within your area of driving.

v.ridley

Please check out Kidsandcompany.com (.ca) maybe. They are licenced daycare in london available for exactly this type of thing. you can buy a year pass - 20 visits for 350$. These are for emergencies, illness, snowdays etc.
    Also - say you go to Toronto for a few days and want an afternoon to do something without the kids? You can take them in to the kids and company there! How cool is that.
    Oh and the coolest things - tha tI think EVERY daycare should have and think ever parent should push for : webcam - you can check on your child securely online, with a password, at any point in the day. Way too cool! I will definately be registering my 2 next year as a back up plan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast