Default Divorce Advice???!

I have a friend in need of some advice and I was hoping someone here would know the answer to this question.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is required to give an ex access to the home he moved out of if the two parties have been separated for two years? The two parties are considering divorce now and he would like to take a look around the previous home they shared to "see if there is anything he left behind". Please note, he has not been in the home or requested access to the home in the two years after he moved out.

Any info would be great. Websites, links, other forums etc would also be appreciated. Also, if anyone has had a good experience with a lawyer, she is looking for a referral there as well.

Thanks again.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

my opion is no becasue its been 2 years and that even if had left things behind they would be abonded now but I would suggest calling a lawyer or the family law office for advice on

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I would question it ... not saying let him in ... just saying there could be some grey areas here. If they were just seperated ... and not permanently ... and are just now deciding to make it permanet/divorce ... he probably does still have some rights here. I would not sy he has to be just let in, but I am sure he is still entitiled to 1/2 of anything they had or acquired during their time together. However I am not a lawyer ...

Expert Forum User

Default divorce

I am going through this now, but it hasn't been two years since I left my house. As long as he is still a property owner at the house, he is allowed access. I was told this by the police. As my ex is trying to pull this with me, not allowing me access, so I carry a deed of the property, and my ex is not allowed to change the locks without giving me a key.

I am currently divorcing as well...a bit different.

Anyways, while his name was on title, he would be allowed access into the home as it is 'HIS'. He could come in, break the doors if locks changed, etc...and nothing. . he could demolish walls, still nothing. He is part owner. Get him off the deed.

My ex is now off my title, but still is entitled to 'belongings' of the marriage...thing is, it has been over a year, so he'd have to PROVE (or at least i will make him) that anything was here prior to him leaving.

My ex was fighting over one simple painting (cost 10$ we bough on honeymoon). I simply got rid of it.

Him having been gone for two years, don't think there is much he can do about it now...as you have both essentially went on with your lives. I'm sure he has refurnished whereever the guy is living.

But yes, grey area, he is technically allowed to split the assets in the home and can go to court to do so. ....

I'd say, make things 'disappear' before letting him in :P (my opinion, not legal advise)
    Mommy to DS (Nov 2003)
    Mommy to DD (July 2006)
    Mommy to DD (May 2011)
    Mommy to DS (Dec 2012)

Thanks for the advice. He's not on the title to the home and never was. He left with a bunch of furniture and dishes etc when he left so we were stumpted on why he would want access to a home he left over two years ago and took his stuff (agreed upon items) with him.

Expert Forum User

She doesn't have to allow him into HER home. He's got what he's got and that it.

if his name is not on title, it is simply not his home.

no access.!!!!
    Mommy to DS (Nov 2003)
    Mommy to DD (July 2006)
    Mommy to DD (May 2011)
    Mommy to DS (Dec 2012)

Expert Forum User

dont forget about matrimonial law tho....each spouse is entitled to 50% of the house even if they are not "on title" persay.

its different in this case tho since he has been gone 2 years!
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND