Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Second Birthday Party

Ava's second birthday is coming up soon. For her first, we had a big family party and close friends. About 25 people, two other babies and her two older cousins (a toddler and a pre-schooler).

This year, we want to keep it small. But I'm really surprised to hear from other moms about big extravagent second birthday parties! We don't have a lot of money and I also just don't see the point of taking them all out to the zoo or renting a blow-up bouncy tent thingie or something when they're not even going to remember it. Not knocking anyone else for doing this, but it just doesn't seem practical for us.

So, we were going to have the grandparents (his parents and my dad), my best friend, his good friend, and Ava's good friend and her mom (who is my good friend). But these last two are unlikely to come due to ongoing custody issues with her ex. Then I decided to invite my cousin whose daughter is 3 weeks younger than Ava. So now my husband is inviting his two sisters, brother-in-law and two nephews. This is becoming a big production again, and I really wanted to keep it low-key. *sigh*

Anyway, I'm wondering what other people did for their child's second birthday. We were going to have one them but then decided to incorporate lots of things she likes - Winne the Pooh, Dora, Big Big World. But I'm wondering about activities. There will probably be just one other two-year-old there as well as her 3 year old and 6 year old male cousins. We thought about playing "Pin Miss Spider on the Web" but what other activities can kids that young (and with that big an age range) enjoy? Or am I stressing too much and should just let it be presents, cake, and possibly one game?

I'm also kind of bugged because my husband's family lives 7 hours away and if they ALL come they will arrive at noon, noisy and rambunctious an hour before I'm trying to get Ava down for her nap. Our place is small and they are LOUD and I want Ava to have a nap and be well-rested for her birthday. My husband disagrees. I'm feeling frustrated. :x

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i think that you should only feel comfy in your own house! If they are going to be really nosy, and i do agree its going to be along day as it is! She is going to need all the rest she can get! Maybe tell them to go somewhere just for an hour or so before she gets up!
    When i try to put Benjamin down for a nap and its loud i will tell them to be quite or they have to go out side or leave untill he is up!

She is your child and its frustating when ppl are so loud when they know your little one it trying to sleep!

As for the games im not sure what were going to be doing for Benjamins, his 2nd b-day is 21st of April. we are going to do the Cars theme

Good luck and keep us posted
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User

For Cassidy second birthday...DH and I took her and my niece and Kieran to storybook gardens...then we had my parents and sisters come to the house afterwards for supper and cake.

She was all about Elmo that year and well still is Not sure what we will do this year.

We did the whole backyard BBQ with friends and family for her first year...probably will do the same with Kieran but after that keeping it low key at least as long as we can

Becky

My son just turned two and on his birthday we went to Adventures on Wonderland and had cake later with good friends of ours that have a daughter 9 months younger then Cole. On the weekend after his B-Day we went to my Mom's and only had my brothers with my nieve & nephew and all the grandparents. It was pretty low key...I could be wrong but I think games etc. are something more for older kids. We just did gifts, cake and the kids had a little dance party...very low key. If you are worried about it getting out of hand you could invite just grandparents for lunch/dinner and a few kids for cake that way it isn't as crazy!! Good Luck.

Expert Forum User

Cooper's second birthday is on Sunday and were having his party on Saturday. I feel bad because were having the same type of party that we had for his first birthday but we are having an open house to sell our house the same day and the party starts an hour after it finishes. I have no time to decorate or anything. I feel like I am more concerned about the open house and dh and I haven't even bought him a present yet.

SuperMom

I wouldn't worry about games and stuff - with all those people coming over, I'm sure Ava will be a little overwhelmed (probably tired and cranky if she misses her nap) - so most likely won't enjoy it. And she's too young to remember it!

I'm pretty much just a "family" birthday party person. I'll usually have grandparents for dinner and invite some other family (my brother, etc.) for cake and ice cream after dinner. This works for us, for now!

Maven will be two on "mothers day" . We have his party in progress already. We are having a pool party. I rented a pool for a few hours with a room on the side so we can have cake and pizza afterwards. I cant wait for this day. He loves to swim and he loves pizza. We are also going to do the cars theme as he loves this movie. Not to highjack does anyone no where you can get a cars cake done?

Expert Forum User

We did the big party thing for DD's first birthday - too much hassle and I really don't think she cared. This year we are going away for the weekend to a water park - just us and my sister (with her kids). This is a bit expensive (well the hotel is expensive but we are treating ourselves to a really nice one). The water park itself is not. If you wanted to drive somewhere and back in the same day you could do something fun like that.

Expert Forum User

I so understand what you want!!!!
    I had huge (60+) 1st bday's...with hopes of small afterwards.
    Miss A's 2nd was about 30people to the house. Maybe a couple of kids, but mostly adults-family/friends. We had no planned activities/games. By the time she interacted with everyone, opened her gifts and had food/cake she had enough. I did the Winnie the Pooh theme, decorated with those removable wall stickers, and afterwards they went into her room.
    #3...turned into 3 parties- OH MY GOD!!! What was I thinking to allow this to happen. Dinner with Grandparents and a couple of friends on the day, then kids party on weekend, followed by adults gathering at the house afterwards. This was crazy, and exhausting!
    M's 2nd is coming up. I have not really thought about it yet until this post. He does not have any little friends to invite, and he will not remember. So it will probably turn into the same 20- 30 family/close friends that Alexandra had. I'll put the slide out....and our big blow up bouncy thingie (got it on sale last spring at ToysRUs)- that way the adults can interact with him while he is playing. I also want it low key....but have a loud group. May have a 2-3pm start after his nap if he doesn't change his nap routine.
    Good Luck with the planning.
    Beth
    Last edited by Sleepless in London; 08-27-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Default Party

I celebrated DD 2nd birthday using a Winnie Pooh theme. Both kids were really into watching Winnie Pooh movies at the time. We had 6 + 2 kids plus mom's for the party. I had bean bags made for tossing into a bucket and stick the butterfly on Pooh and Friends on the wall. My son who was 3.5yrs. was really into the games but the rest of the kids 2 and under were more distracted than anything. One child even hid because he didn't want to participate. My advice would be for kids 2 and under keep it simple, more play than games. When they get to be 3 or older, then games are fun for them.

We had a home party with decorations, homemade Winnie cake, wrapped prizes (lootbag items) and a take home gift of watercolor paints and paper (DD passion is painting).

If your child goes to a daycare, I find a lot of mom's plan parties at commercial facilities. One friend had her son's party at Adventures on Wonderland because it was hassle free and not much more expensive than having it at home.

For the 3 and 6yr old coming to your party maybe ask them to bring a few of their favourite toys or movies with them, so they won't be too bored. You could also look on the Web for party ideas. Maybe a game between the adults and kids - musical chairs or hot potatoe with music. Both can be a lot of fun.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Kaitlyn's birthday was a little too much like her first for size , but we did do some stuff for the kiddies too as my best friend has a boy her age and we have to neices Kaitlyns age too. We played some dance freeze ... you know play music and dance but when the music stops freeze ... and soms Simon says (without the part of not doing things is Simon did not say ... just too complicated for under 2 I think). We aldo did a birthdy craft and blew bubbles. Other than that there was a lot of free play time ... and we made up some cool treat bags too that they got a little early so they could play with the stuff inside too.

i know you can get the Cars theme done at wal-mart of rcss i would say rcss. Alot of ppl have said that mal-marts cake sucks! i dont know i have never tired them!

Im going to make the cars cake this year, i will get the cake pan from bulk barn to rent! And its only $1.99 per day plus $20 depost, but you get it back! I made Benjamins winnie the pooh cake last year and it was great, i used icing and some cool whip light. Everybody loved it!

Seeing how were not going to have more then 25 ppl the cake should be okay. Now when he gets older i will get a cake made when he has friends over and everything like that!

This year, were just having family and some friends over! i hope that everyone will come if they are able! His birthday is on a sat this year! so i hope wre going to do it that day!

Were going to get some Cars ballons, some kiddie bags, cars decorations and the plates that match!
    Tiffany

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bensmommy
    . Alot of ppl have said that mal-marts cake sucks! i dont know i have never tired them!
    I got Carter's Backyardigans cake made at Wal Mart (if you meant Wal-Mart) and it was really good. Melissa got Mason's cake made there as well and his was a cupcake cake and it was good as well. I have never really heard anything bad about the Wal-Mart cakes.

If you are having problems finding the supplies for your desired theme www.birthdayexpress.com is an awesome site. It was the only place I could get backyardigans supplies and they have really good prices and selections. And the delivery is fast. I will be using them every year.

thanks Amanda, there was another thread about cakes and someone said that they werent very good! But i have never had one so i wasnt sure!

Ill check out that website thanks for posting
    Tiffany

Expert Forum User

Carter's birthday cake from Walmart was soooo yummy! I would have gotten Cooper's there but my family are hard core Capo foods fans and they luckily had the Wiggles cake available there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast