Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Expert Forum User

I give Hope prune juice and it helps greatly
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

M&M's Mom

Default Constipation

Hi

I know exactly where you are coming from. When my daughter was 6months (she is now 2 1/2), she would get very constipated, sometimes go 5 days. She would cry when she had a bowel movement, sometimes a little blood, and huge poops! It was horrible. I tried adding the fibre, prune juice.....but I found you could only get her to eat so much and it was not helping. I went to my family doctor, walk ins.....Finally I was referred to a peadiatric doctor who specializes in constipation (she was about 1 yr at that time) - apparently it's a very common issue. He is absolutely wonderful and he helped my daughter beyond words. He put her on PEG (similar to peglyte, but it's a powder and you just put it in their drink, it's tasteless) The amount depends on the how constipated your daughter is. I started with 1-2 T a day - it basically makes them very loose, so retrains their bowels (which have become stretched from being constipated so long, over time) and hopefully makes them stop associating pain with going. You gradually taper them off (my daughter is on 1 t a day), which I increase if she starts holding again. He than added in Unifibre, which again you just put in their drink. (my daughter is on 1 T a day). We've been at this level for a while now, but she is completely potty trained and has bowel movements on the toilet - much more regulary now. Your family doctor could write you a referrel to him Dr. Howard LHSC Westminster Hospital. I am so thankful I finally found him - because it's horrible watching your child in tears whenever she has to go! If you have anymore questions, please ask.

Phew, I'm so glad to hear this is a common problem! There are some great tips here.

My 20 month old has had problems since she started solids. Some days are better than others, but it's always on my mind when I'm preparing/offering her food. It can be so frustrating!

It didn't do much for us, but for temporary constipation, my doctor recommended Lansoyl. It's a red, concentrated mineral oil that tastes like gummi bears. You can buy it off the shelf, in a small jar. I think it's meant for "back-ups", not really sensitive systems that just need more fibre than most.

Expert Forum User

Default Re: Constipation

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's Mom
    Hi

Your family doctor could write you a referrel to him Dr. Howard LHSC Westminster Hospital. I am so thankful I finally found him - because it's horrible watching your child in tears whenever she has to go! If you have anymore questions, please ask.
    We see Dr Howard.. and he is WONDERFUL!!!! My Shaylin suffered for 3 years... yep your seeing right... screaming for days... unable to walk... no bowel movement for up to 18 days. And under Dr Howard's care as of a month ago and viola.... things are working.. mind you he had to use drastic measures that he doesn't normally use to get things working but things are working. We are on PEG 3350 (powder) and it is put in a drink she drinks it and trust me no taste or anything... Shaylin has HUGE sensory issues. She will be on PEG for a while since her problem was so severe and was going on for so many years.

I highly recommend the "poop" Doctor as he introduced himself to us.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Expert Forum User

Thank you for all your tips. We have been dealing with constipation issues with my dd since she was around a year old. We've tried(at doctor's insistance) colase(?) and senokyot with very little success. It definitely is not because she doesn't get enough fluids. Kid is a drinking machine. We have decreased her milk intake(a lot of milk) and use 100% pure apple juice. She hasn't strained in days.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

Yep, this was a problem in our house too. Blueberries worked wonderfully for my daughter. I did resort to suppositories and then put her on the potty (even though she was only 11 months). She would tremble and cry, and I would just hug her and rub her back while she was on the potty. Not much else I could do about that pain at the time, although it was difficult to watch. She has been exclusively pooping there since then! She wouldn't/couldn't go in her diaper. She needed the "freedom"! Just think about it...it wouldn't be easy to pass that if you were sitting (get the picture?)

No problems these days, and she was an early toilet trainer. (ie this experience hasn't made her fear the potty)

Default constipation

Easy solution is flaxseed oil by mouth, dropper or addded to the bottle. Works everytime. I did 1/2 tsp morning and evening and within 2 days it moved it out and now i use 1.4 tsp daily for the good fats and prevention of constipation.

I would like to make a suggestion. I have gained a certification as a raw food lifestyle coach and I have learned a lot about nutrition. Maybe this may be helpful for you. The body has a hard time processing any cooked food, although some is more difficult than others. Cutting way back on any dairy is helpful and when you give fruits and vegetables, try to always give them raw. They are full of fibre and vitamins and enzymes that way. You can also try raw nuts and nut butters if there are no allergies. You will find that just by increasing the amount of raw food of any kind and decreasing the amount of cooked food (cutting out processed foods compeltely) that the problem will go away. And of course, lots of fluids, preferably water. I know this has worked for my older daughter and my younger daughter who eats tons of raw food NEVER has a problem! Another great food is watermelon. Kids generally love it and it contains nutrition, fibre, and lots of water.

Karen
    Mom of two fabulous girls, '02 & '04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12