Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default what is a "dreamy feed" or "nighter feed"

I have heard of some putting their baby down around 7:30-8 and then having a "dreamy feed" around 10 or so. What is this? Do you wake the baby? Is it so you can have a longer sleep and avoid the 4am wake? I've never heard of this!

Expert Forum User

It's been 2 years since I read the book, but basically you feed the baby, wait an hour or two (we did it right before we headed into bed ourselves), then pick them up from their crib and feed them again so their bellies are good and full. They usually won't wake up for it (hence the name dream feed). I've done it both breastfeeding & bottle feeding, but I found bottles worked a bit better. Burping them is less strenuous because they don't suck in as much air as when they're awake & eating.
    This usually buys you extra sleep. The book that this technique comes from is "The Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg & it's at the London Public Library.
    Good luck! I hope it works for you.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

You can actually get The Baby Whisperer from the Library online if you have a card. I did it for my dd with breastfeeding and it worked great. I would just gently pick her up and settled us down and then put my nipple to her mouth and she fed without waking up and would pull herself off when she'd had enough.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

I think you just have to do whatever works for you and your little one. I would give it a try if it works go ahead with it, if not don't. I found that my little guy would wake up at the same time either way. So it was better to just let him sleep....good luck!

Catherine
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We used to do this - worked great. She went to bed around 7pm and it was DH's job to give her a bottle around 10pm. She didn't usually wake up for it, just kind of ate while sleeping. This avoided the 1am feeding and she'd sleep until 4am.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

somehow it seems cruel to wake or even disturb a baby's sleep ...I always felt that I would let her sleep until she woke on her own! but, if I can avoid the going to bed at 8, waking at 5am I might consider it. I just feel so badly

When doing the dream feed you are NOT disturbing the baby's sleep. You gently pick them up and feed them and gently place them back down. They won't even know it happened. This eliminates the 1 am feed for me and he wakes at 4am for a feed so it is only one feed in the middle of the night instead of two. I find my LO is so hungry all of the time so it truly is beneficial for me/us! I hope this works for you. I am just looking forward to when he doesn't wake at 4 am!!!! When will that happen! He is 3 months now!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, well maybe I will consider this and try it too. you do burp also right? I have wondered why our large baby always needs feeding at random times during the night- so frustrating at 6 months. Maybe thats normal but I guess I'll give it a try and see. Dr. Lubell told us that once they are 12 months they will be able to sleep 8-8.....well, at 6 months its more like 8-3-6-9...very frustrating some days/mornings!

I never bothered burping Kyla after a dream feed (bfing) and she never had any problems, think they're more relaxed and less likely to gulp air. Kyla started sleeping through the night around 10 months or so. She's now 13 months and sleeps 7-6:30. I used The Baby Whisperer and the No Cry Sleep Solution, kind of took the things that made sense for us and used them.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

FWIW - the dream feed never worked with DD1 and doesn't work so far with DD2... they don't open their mouths when they're sleeping! I need a crowbar to get their little jaws open wide enough to nurse and by then they're awake and pissed off, then they nurse angrily and take forever to fall back asleep.... so not worth it. I found the whole Baby Whisperer useless. Maybe it would work better with bottle feeding, where no one gets hurt if the baby suddenly clamps down

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We never burped Char after the night feed, she rarely even opened her eyes for it. Sometimes fussed for a sec as we took her out of her crib, but once she was eating was quite content and 95% of the time went back to sleep just fine. Was important to keep the room dark and quiet.

She didn't sleep through the night (11-12 hours straight) until 7-8 months. I can recall 4am feedings at 6-7 months when she was 16-18 pounds. We cut out the "dream feed" around 10 months when I realized she wasn't hungry at breakfast.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Nariah had two dream-feeds last night!! She's never done this before, she usually wakes up completely and is up for about an hour. She started making a little noise (wasn't fully awake though...still sleeping and didn't even open her eyes) so I picked her up and gave her the boob. She slept from about 7 pm to 8 am! She woke up like she normally does today, and she's still on her normal schedule.

Expert Forum User

I started Dream feeding my DS about a month ago. It has been a god send because he didn't sleep through the night before and now he does pretty much. He is BF (but very rarely needs to be burped, so we don't) and doesn't wake up at all. He now sleeps from 7:30-5:30 without waking up. I would try it, if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work but it's worth a shot.

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

logan wakes up around midnight and 3-4 am but never really "wakes up" i manage to get him out of his bed to the couch then prop the bottle up while changing him then i pick him up let him finish and he sleeps for 4-5 hours where as before he would only sleep for 2 hours

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!