Thread: Denim quilt

SuperMom

Default Denim quilt

A long time ago, I saw a (recipe???) for sewing a Denim Quilt. It was awesome and ever since then I've wanted to make one for both my girls. I've been thinking about it recently and have been saving some of the girls jeans and pants to cut up. I just need to find the design again and figure out what size to cut the squares.

Has anyone made one before?? Is it relatively easy? How big did you cut the squares? Did you use your own materials from outgrown clothing or did you buy the material??

Expert Forum User

have you ever made a rag quilt using flannel? It is basically the same thing. You can make the squares any size. I like doing it as a rag quilt. That way you aren't buying a lot of fabric fo rthe back. If you go to http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html it will give you some ideas. Or you can just google blue jean quilt patterns. hope that this helps. Right now I am working on a Miss Spider rag quilt out of flannel for my daughter. I bought miss spider fabric at Joann's in the Port Huron.

SuperMom

This link has similar to what I want (the purple one and the pink one) - but it's not quite it!!

http://www.creativesalon.com/PhotoGallery.html

I FOUND IT!!! This is what I want!!!!

I just love the look of the denim and flannel together!! I guess I'd probably have to buy some flannel but for the denim I'll use David's old jeans and some of the girls stuff....

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Julie- If you need flannel and happen to still have any old recieving blankets, those would work. As well, I imagine you can find them used for a great deal!

It's not that expensive in the store, but a great way to reuse and recycle

SuperMom

Thanks for the tip... but unfortunately mine are long gone

If you want a few- I have a rubbermaid bin full and then some lol

Depending on how big you're planning on making the quilt, you shouldn't need too many, anyways

I like that denim quilt. I also have a large stash of used denim that I want to make into some thing(s). I also have a bin of new flannel. I am planning to make another rag quilt sometime. I didn't think about combining the denim and flannel together. I have made 2 rag quilts using this pattern:
    http://quickquilts.com/curiss/304_ragquilt.htm

SuperMom

That's cool!!! Different being on an angle and framed!

SuperMom

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    If you want a few- I have a rubbermaid bin full and then some lol

Depending on how big you're planning on making the quilt, you shouldn't need too many, anyways

Got any pink ones???

My oldest dtr has a double bed - I'd like it to fit that size, my youngest has a single so that won't be as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMom View Post
    Got any pink ones???

My oldest dtr has a double bed - I'd like it to fit that size, my youngest has a single so that won't be as bad.
    Pink? What the heck is pink? Lol I've only got penis' around here.

BUT- I do happen to have some pink materials laying around from some projects I did for some friends with girls you are more than welcome to! It's just sitting and teasing me

SuperMom

I was at my mom's last night and asked her if she had any flannel material - she said yes - so one day I'm going to go through her "stuff" and find it!!! I hope she has pink!!!