Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Exclamation Parents not charged for trying to sell baby online (Vancouver)

This is distrubing! THey claim it was a hoax but like the story says.. if they got a bite off their ad, who knows what would have happened to this little girl who was A WEEK OLD. I hope the police reconsider and charge the parents.

http://technology.sympatico.msn.ca/V...bc=abc&date=Tr

Also it tells of a family in Germany who tried to sell their 7 month old on EBay for $1.56 canadian.. they claimed it was a joke as well but I am glad that the child is removed from that situation.

Seriously... I am disgusted and disturbed to my core.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

How sad, even if it was fake, it's not funny and I hope they do get charged and the baby taken away.

Expert Forum User

The people who post things such as this should definately be charged. The judge/justice system should have made an example out of them first off so others would know this type of behavior is intolerable. Now, the flood gates are open for other idiots to do such stupid things.

Expert Forum User

Sad and scary, I wonder what would have happened had it been a buyer instead of the police that came knocking.... After reading the article, it actually sounds like the parents have a drug problem and saw this as quick cash...

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy of 2 View Post
    How sad, even if it was fake, it's not funny and I hope they do get charged and the baby taken away.

The child was removed and the police even called the lady who saw the ad to say that the baby was safe. They havent revealed where though.

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

These types of things done online aren't necessarily covered by our current laws and regulations. The internet has opened up a totally new can of worms for law enforcement. They are exploring their options to continue the investigation and possible charges (human trafficing is one they can try). Remember that girl that hung herself because a family created a fake MySpace boy page and antagonized her over it? It wasn't outright assault, or bullying... etc. etc. it's all "new" when it's using the online avenue.

girlsmum

The worldwide communication network really is a mixed blessing isn't it?? You never know what is real or hoax(reading your post Amy), heck my facebook profile pic is an altered me, looks nice but it is still a hoax (for those of you on my friends list).
    Trouble can be that either we over react or also can become desensitized to it all by just passing things off as a scam or hoax and a human being winds up really being sold, or someone dying, or someone losing a fortune on a money making scheme. Stories like these are becoming daily news now and that to me is the most disgusting part!!

What is truth, what is reality any more?? Stinks big time to me.

Expert Forum User

Those parents should be charged. That is a sick hoax if you ask me. Nothing like exploiting your own child. Not just that but waisting the time of the police as well that could be dealing with other issues. I hope the child stays in safe hands. Those parents have proven they are very imature and who knows if they wuld have not sone somehting with their shild if someone may have replied to the ad.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

OH that is just horrible. I am glad they took the little baby away. Hopefully she'll be safe now. Joke or not it's very sad and sick.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I have to point out the fact that they were only asking $10,000... to me that is a lot of money BUT NOT FOR A CHILD. If you asked me the value of my children (if I HAD to put a price tag on them) I would have said "priceless" or something way higher like 454,516,457,174,458,488,485 if that number even exists.

I mean for crying out loud people spend more then that amount of money on their car! Hoax or no hoax these parents are immature as a pp said and I hope that the child stays away from them.

A sick joke indeed. I don't see how it's funny at all. There are people who have been waiting in the system who have want babies for a real long time, and then you get people who can have babies and they do this... ugh.

Expert Forum User

some people are just not all there.
    I had my kids to raise and enjoy....put to some money means more i guess.

(I'll probably get blasted for this, but here goes...)

Just wondering how the view is up there from all yer high horses? This is likely just an unfortunate case of a joke gone wrong.

This is no different than an ad I saw on Kijiji written by a woman trying to sell her younger brother ... or no different even than 27yrs ago my mom putting my little sister out on the front lawn in a playpen wearing a t-shirt that read "Kid for rent - cheap". She actually got a few people asking how much? I seriously think she should have teken them up on their offer.

Lighten up eh? I'll bet there's not a one amongst you who hasn't, on a particulary distastrous day, wanted to sell your precious little one(s). Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

As I said, I've joked about it, to a person directly. These people had/have more problems than just playing a 'joke' online (drug abuse and criminal records). What you may not realize is that playing a 'joke' on the internet is not funny, no matter who you are or what your intentions were. You cannot 'read' sarcasm, or tongue-in-cheek attitude.

Of course they're going to say "Oh, it was a joke!" when the cops come knocking on their door. Did it say anywhere in the ad that it was a joke? My horse isn't that high that I can't see what it truly is, a very stupid, stupid mistake. And they're paying dearly for it. I hope they, and others, learn from it.

If you posted on here that you wanted to sell your children, with no jokes thrown in, no "I'm just kidding hee hee" or cutey emoticons, I will guarantee that you would have people react unkindly, and I would be grateful that people would be that concerned for the children to react this way.

Beyond the initial purpose/intent, there are RULES on sites such as kijiji, ebay, craigslist. They violated those rules by intentionally posting these ads. It would garner the same reaction as if I posted that I would offer to pay someone to injure/kill my husband. Violating a law, is still violating a law... whether you were 'joking' or not. It's just plain stupid to put the ad up, sit back and expect no backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryRPN View Post
    (I'll probably get blasted for this, but here goes...)

Just wondering how the view is up there from all yer high horses? This is likely just an unfortunate case of a joke gone wrong.

This is no different than an ad I saw on Kijiji written by a woman trying to sell her younger brother ... or no different even than 27yrs ago my mom putting my little sister out on the front lawn in a playpen wearing a t-shirt that read "Kid for rent - cheap". She actually got a few people asking how much? I seriously think she should have teken them up on their offer.

Lighten up eh? I'll bet there's not a one amongst you who hasn't, on a particulary distastrous day, wanted to sell your precious little one(s). Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I'm not on a high horse and like Amy's post said after the one I quote there was no mention of it being a joke. I am sure the parents probably freaked and were trying to cover their a$$es by saying it was a joke... would you expect they would openly say "yeah we are selling our kid, do you want her" I will admit htat I was happy to read that they found hte mother nursing the child so at least they werent starving the poor thing but yes, I agree IF IT WAS A JOKE it was sick and either way the parents should be punished... just two cents.

When it comes to children I take things very seriously. I admit there were days where I would tell a GF on the phone that I wanted to "sell the girls to the zoo but the money exhibit was full already" and follow it with a chuckle so they knew I was joking and if not I would also add in a "I am totally kidding, I would NEVER do that"