Default homeschooling support?

I am wondering about the homeschoolers within the London Moms community. Ds is about to turn 5 and although we have some good friends locally none of them are doing school at home. I am starting to become more active with the Different Drum community but I thought I would see if anyone on the boards is interested in getting together once in awhile to encourage social/learning relationships for the kids and Parents. If there is any interest I will move this to the gatherings section.

Maybe you are not homeschooling but know someone in a similar situation please feel free to pm me with ideas

Can I ask what the Different Drum Community is?
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMom
    Can I ask what the Different Drum Community is?
    Here's the link:
    http://www.geocities.com/adifferentdrum1984/index.html

Thanks so much. It's very interesting to me but I know that I don't have the patience or the organizational skills necessary to homeschool. I serious thought about it, though, while we were living in the US. I still can't believe some of the things the "public" school there would do...
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

Default Homeschooling

My DD is 14 months, and DH and I know a couple of teachers with the TV Scool Board. Let's just say that we are not impressed with the quality of teaching that our DD might receive, and we are starting to look into Homeschooling.

Is there such a thing as a Homeschooling Co-op? I am very strong in the sceinces and math. but really weak in English. I am sure that for the early years I will be fine, but what about later? I am sure that there are other moms that might be in the same predicament, and just wondering how they get over this hurdle.

Also, I love the idea of homeschooling, but I also see the need for Public Education where DD can socialize and receive exposure to other kids her age.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!

Default Re: Homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by highlandmom

Is there such a thing as a Homeschooling Co-op? I am very strong in the sceinces and math. but really weak in English. I am sure that for the early years I will be fine, but what about later? I am sure that there are other moms that might be in the same predicament, and just wondering how they get over this hurdle.
    Sorry I don't know a lot about homeschooling but a lot of people from my church home school. Anyways - I know that some of them have tutors for certain subjects....I think one family uses a university student....

Expert Forum User

Sorry, I just saw this post now.

As you know already, DH and I plan to home-educate our kids. We'd be very interested in participating in a London Moms homeschooling support group.

highlandmom - yes, there is such a thing as homeschooling co-operatively. I'm not sure if there's currently a co-op in place, but even if there isn't currently a group that meets your needs, you could probably organize one fairly easily.
    You needn't worry too much about not being as strong in certain subject areas as others; one of the benefits of homeschooling is the flexibility to seek out whatever learning resources your children want or need, whether that's a fellow homeschooler who's good at language arts; a mentor that's passionate about electronics, pottery, or whatever other topic is catching your child's interest; homeschooling groups and clubs; local museums; the library; the Internet; volunteer opportunities; whatever! You don't have to go it alone or be an expert in every "subject" -- there's a whole world of resources out there, and homeschoolers learn from everywhere and everything!
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Pam, I'm going to cross-post a link to this thread in the 'Natural' Moms forum. Since homeschooling is included in the scope of Natural Family Living, some of the moms there may be interested, but they might miss seeing the thread in this forum.

ETA - the cross-post thread link: http://londonmoms.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5822
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'd love to know how things go for homeschooling mamas in town. What are your days like? How do you structure them (or not)? Do you do curriculum? Unschooling? How old are your children? Do you participate with any homeschooling groups? How much time/day does actual focused schooling take (if any)?

Thanks! I'm thinking of going this route with my daughter, and trying to get a sense of what it's like.