Thread: diarrhea help!

Expert Forum User

Exclamation diarrhea help!

Ds has had diarrhea for 7 days now. We've been to the dr. and she took a sample which we will get back in the next couple days, but she said she thinks it is just a gastric virus. I have just changed his 5th dirty diaper today (it isn't even 10am) and it isn't getting any better. He's lost 1lb which isn't too bad. I'm giving him pedialite and extra fluids.
    Any suggestions?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hmmm... how old is he? Is this your little guy who is 13 mos? For Maya when she had rotavirus they said to give small amounts of fluids at great frequency, like a sip of something every 5-10 minutes to prevent dehydration. And give carbs only, NO protein... so like salty crackers, bread, bananas, rice, etc. But not peanut butter on the bread or cheese or anything with protein. They told me to do that for 3-5 days.

I hope he feels better soon, poor lil guy!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

Thanks, I have been feeding him protein, so I'll have to cut back on that. Hopefully it helps.
    And yes, it is my 13 month old.

M2M

is he in daycare by any chance? we went to emerg a while back for this problem, and had stool samples taken. Markus has never had a solid poop, by medical standards hes had diareah since starting daycare when he was 10 months old. The doctor told me about a parasite that they usually pick up from daycare, and until its treated he will always have water downed poop. We still havent got our test results back but hopefully you get yours soon

We just finished with that horrid virus a week or two ago. Its nasty, and it lingers. Just when you think things are getting better, they get worse again. We were changing 10+ poopy diapers a day.

It's a gastro bug, and like i said it lingers. Disinfect, disinfect, disinfect. Hand wash, hand wash, hand wash.

It took us about 1 1/2-2 weeks to finally get rid of it.
    We didn't end up doing anything really special except lots of extra fluids to prevent dehydration.

Expert Forum User

I remember the nurse telling us " rice and bananas plug you up" also we were told the same thing avoid dairy and proteins.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the advice, I just got the results back and he has an infection and will be on meds.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Hopefully the meds help clear him up in no time.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

It sounds as if it might be something contagious-or something can be spread by contact (by your other post). If at all possible, I'd go to shoppers home health and get yourself a box of gloves for bum changes, and be meticulous in handwashing, if thats the case!
    Hope the meds kick in soon, and your LO is feeling better, and you aren't changing so many stinky diapers!