Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Expert Forum User

If you have other children, try to get help during those first few weeks from family or friends. Nursing takes a few weeks to get established and I don't think I would have made it without the help of DH and my mom. They took care of the “big“ kids while I worked on getting my nursing relationship with DS2 all figured out.

I also took it ONE FEED AT A TIME. I tried not to think about the next feed or tomorrow. Just one day at at time.

Don't give up! I bought a pump and pumped most of my DDs feedings for the first weeks as it was so painful to nurse at first. I had read all about nipple confusion but she didn't have any issues going from breast to bottle to breast so that was a relief. My milk didn't come in until day 7!!! Also I didn't get a let down until 2 weeks later so I think that is what all the pain was about (she would be sucking so vigorously!) now that I get the let down nursing feels great! The pumping definitely helped with the pain and also helped to boost my supply. Now I breastfeed all her feedings except the one before bed as DH gets to feed her then. I also pump in case I need to run errands and I am donating my surplus to a milk bank. I'm glad I didn't give up.

Get a prescription for a bottle (or two) of APNO (All-Purpose Nipple Ointment). If you're with midwives, do it before you're discharged, it'll make your life so much easier down the road. If not, no worries, Dr. Jack Newman can email you a script if your doctor doesn't know what you're talking about.

Once things are established, give babywearing a try. (and nursing with the babe in the wrap). That, plus a short walk, is our magic sleeping trick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123