Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

For a good latch... two words: Nipple Sandwich:

Hold your breast in the "C" hold. Gently compress your breast between your fingers. This makes your breast tissue flatter - like a sandwich patty Push your hand gently towards your chest wall which will make your nipple protrude farther. Then press your thumb into your tissue a little more firmly, which will make your nipple point slightly upward toward the roof of your baby's mouth.
    After making your "sandwich," encourage your baby to open wide and pull him onto the breast using the same steps described above.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Move your baby to your breast and not your breast to your baby. Grasp your baby's head at the base of his/her neck with a thumb and finger near each jaw bone to position.

Junior Member momof3littleladies's Avatar

Don't give up, I believe it takes at least 2 weeks to get things going...kind of, and then more learning from then on. Purelan cream is good in addition to expressed breast milk in healing any cracks or soreness.

A nurse gave me a tip to eat lots of oatmeal to increase my milk supply. I was skeptical but it really seemed to work for me. Oatmeal for breakfast and snacks throughout the day that have oats like cookies, cereal bars, etc.... Also pump, pump, pump! The more you do the more it will increase too.

It does get easier over time too. I was so frustrated at first, it is much more of a challenge than I thought it would be. My DD is 4 months old now and nurses like a champ! Give it a good 3 months and you will be so glad you did, I know I am. One of the best gifts we can give our children to pass on our immunities and a wonderful bonding experience

Expert Forum User

1-Talk to others that have successfully breastfed...it helps
    2-Don't supplement, I know its tempting but you want your milk supply to be established
    3-don't give up...you will be so thankful and proud of yourself

When your just starting out or have thrush the initial sucking can be a bit painful. Have a glass of ice water handy and drink it right after your baby latches.

Let your baby feed when he/she wants...OnDemand...and don't wait until she/he is crying a fit as it's harder for the baby to get into position and latch on (my experience after 4babies). I also recommend letting baby decide whether he/she wants to be close to you or a little 'layed back' (mine always preferred the latter). As well, take your time...don't rush him/her and enjoy the moments!
    Racket

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet, but I've found making sure I'm drinking enough water is important for keeping plugged ducts away (or at least it seems so for me).

hot showers and expressing is great for when you are too full and it starts to hurt

a calm momma will produce a calm baby

breastfeed as often as you can for those first few weeks

remember supply and demand, the more you breastfeed the more milk you'll have
    [URL="http://lilypie.com"][IMG]http://lbff.lilypie.com/0wMjm5.png[/IMG][/URL]

I brought Dr. Jack Newman's book (Guide to Breastfeeding) with me to the hospital when the last 2 babies were born. It has step-by-step instructions and good pictures illustrating good and poor latches.
    Last edited by KittyChan; 09-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Expert Forum User

I swear by Substance nipple cream. I can't use lanolin as I am wool sensative.
    I took me from topless and bawling cuz I was in so much pain to being able to wear clothes and feed my baby (which is completely neccessary to leaving the house) instantly.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

make sure the baby's nose is NOT touching your breast. if it is, don't fix it by holding your breast away!! instead move the baby a little bit toward your opposite breast so that their head tips back and their nose comes off your breast. this is a BIGGIE for proper positioning
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

make sure that you give the baby enough hindmilk by allowing the baby to drain the breast. I remember the nightmare gas DS had...

always sit down to nurse with a tall glass of water and a snack. you'll be very thirsty especially shortly after birth.

the football hold is the best to start out with. especially if the baby has latching issues.
    Why yes I'm a Doula! (in training) come check out my Facebook for more info!. Or PM me!
    https://www.facebook.com/greatexpectationsdoula

here is my doulamatch profile: http://doulamatch.net/profile/6878/kate-williamson

Just take it a day at a time.
    It may not be easy - but you can do it.

Drinking lots of water has helped me increase my milk supply!

Hand Drawn Portraits of Your Furry Friends!
    Go to suepetportraits.blogspot.com for more details!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast