Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice needed about 6 week old

I'm not sure what to do! My LO is almost 7 weeks old, and will only fall asleep nursing. I have to hold him so he can take naps, as soon as I put him down he wakes up. He's ok if I put him in his bassinet, but he's a big boy and is outgrowing it pretty quickly. I'm trying to get him to sleep in his crib, but everytime I put him down, he wakes up wanting to suck. I've tried a variety of pacifiers and none of them are working, so I end up nursing him to soothe him. No one else can calm him down (he's also sligtly colicky, so he cries a lot). I've tried sleeping with him, but it's not working out too well. I'm just not sure what to do! Has anyone else gone through this? How and what did you use to soothe your LO, and how did you get them to sleep in their crib?

TIA!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Have you tried swaddling him before putting him down?

Or using crib positioners around him in the crib, so that it doesn't feel like such a huge space??

Expert Forum User

Well... Not sure you want to hear this...

I could have written your post 2 years ago. What I ended up doing, I used a sling to wear DS while he napped during the day so I wasn't stuck sitting down all day nursing. This allowed me to get out and about and do a little housework if I felt like it. He slept in his bassinet for birth to around 3 months and then moved into our bed. I did not plan to co-sleep but have grown to embrace this. I would do it the same way all over again too. Once I read about all the benefits of co-sleeping/bedsharing I loved the concept and the type of parenting mindset that usually goes along with this.

No other ideas for you but I'm sure others will have other advice.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

DD was that way too. I found the solution was to let her sleep on her stomach. It was the only way we all could get sleep. Good luck, I know how trying it can be.

I do swaddle him, I have to or he freaks out and won't sleep at all! I haven't tried the crib positioners though, where would I pick those up?

As for co-sleeping, I don't mind it so much, but my DD who is almost 3 gets jealous very easily. We have a queen size bed, and there isn't much room. I don't trust DH while he sleeps. He doesn't know what he's doing and makes me nervous that he's going to roll on top of DS. DD crawls into bed with us almost daily and he never knows!!

I haven't tried letting him sleep on his stomach, maybe I'll try that. It makes me a little nervous though with the whole SIDS thing. I could try while he's napping.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Hopefully something will work!!

You don't need to buy anything. You can firmly roll up recieving blankets to use as positioners, and see how that works!

Just make sure they are rolled well, and that there isn't anything in your LOs face

Goodluck!

hahahaha! DUH! Why didn't I think of that?!? I did that with my DD, so soon I forget! I swear I still have preggo brain sometimes! LOL!!

Thanks!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lovemykatelyn View Post
    We have a queen size bed, and there isn't much room. I don't trust DH while he sleeps. He doesn't know what he's doing and makes me nervous that he's going to roll on top of DS.
    That's exactly the reason why we side-carred DS crib with our bed. More room, his own space and NO chance of DH rolling over onto him

How to Side Car Your Crib

MM
    *sigh*

Yoda

You could put the babe between yourself and the wall, or yourself and a barrier gate at the side of the bed. that's the arrangement I have... well I don't have a partner but I sleep with my 4 year old on one side, then me, then the baby, with a gate thing to keep her from falling out of the bed.

Mine sleeps best when being worn too. I wear her in a sling for naps, and if I want to put her down I just put her inside her sling down on the sofa or bouncy chair... the semi upright position of the bouncy chair seems to work best. I notice she sleeps on her own a lot longer if I've worn her until she is in a deep sleep, and if I keep her swaddled inside the sling instead of just taking her out and putting her down.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

Hi Renee,

I would also try putting him on his Tummy. Natalie slept on her tummy and/or with a blanket over her head and she survived. The blanket was her doing btw.

Does he like his car seat? What if you put him in his car seat beside your bed to sleep with something that smells like you, like a shirt.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Does he like his car seat? What if you put him in his car seat beside your bed to sleep with something that smells like you, like a shirt.
    I would strongly advise against this. There was a news story out about a year and a half ago about babies who had stopped breathing doing this.

Doctors warn against babies sleeping in car seats

MM
    *sigh*

Yoda

Have you tried putting the bassinet in the crib? This would possibly make the transition a little easier on both of you.
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    That's exactly the reason why we side-carred DS crib with our bed. More room, his own space and NO chance of DH rolling over onto him
    Wow, this is so cool! I wish I knew about it when DD was a baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by brookiesmama View Post
    Have you tried putting the bassinet in the crib? This would possibly make the transition a little easier on both of you.
    That's a good idea, maybe I'll try it!

Thanks for all the great advice!

I have another question, is there anything I can get so he can suck? Last night at 4am all he wanted to do was sucks, but he didn't want any milk, so I didn't know what to do. I offered the nipple and he got so mad because he had already eaten! I've tried pretty much all the paci's out there, please tell me there is something! LOL! He's trying so hard to put his thumb in his mouth but gets fraustrated.

Your clean pinky finger

Have you tried Soothie soothers? You'd have to go to St Joes hospital pharmacy to get one locally though.

I found both my boys perferred long straight nipples, instead of the typical gerber/nuk soother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast