Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    momtohope

Default Catholic schooling if not catholic

Does anyone have children who are getting a Catholic education and not baptised Catholic? What did you do?
    My spouse is not babtised and and I am babtised a christian faith but believe in the values and morals of the catholic faith. We wish for our little girl to go to a school that install such beliefs in September.
    Does anyone know how I can accomplish this without much hassel?

Expert Forum User

I am looking into this too

My understanding is that in order to attend a CATHOLIC ELEMENTARY School both the CHILd and at least one Parent must be Baptised Catholic.

Catholic highschool is open to anyone as long as you check the right box on the property taxes! LOL
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

what if you dont pay property taxes?

Expert Forum User

From what I understand you can call the school and set up a meeting with the preist to discuss sending your child to catholic school. I think its decided by the priest after that whether or not your child can attend. WE entertained the idea of this too, but ended up sending to public school instead. It seemed like there were a lot of steps to go through to try to get my child in.

I tried getting my son into Catholic school that was at the end of our street. It was a NO go. I was actually quite upset by this. I guess the main reason was that we were told that they only accepted "Good Catholic Families". GRRRRR...Why was I so upset with this?? Because I had two neighbours whose kids went there who weren't exactly "Good Catholic families. The one family weren't even practicing Catholics and Mom and Dad were Not married. And, the other family the mom was a single mom and the dad was not ever in the child's life. The mom was not Catholic but 'supposedly' the biological dad was.

Not that I am saying that these particular families are not GOOD etc. That is not my point. My whole problem was the insinuation that because we were not Catholic we were not a "Good family" and that by simply being Catholic you WERE a "Good Family".

Besides, on a whole other note I think it is unfair to not let Non-Catholics into Catholic schools. Our taxes pay for it so I should have access to it. And, it also goes against everything about Canada and how we strive to Not exclude anyone. If we have Catholic school that can decide and discriminate who can and can not attend then we should also have publicly funded Jewish and Islamic and Jehovah's Witness schools too.

Can you tell I am still a bit disgruntled about this?? But then, that is a whole other issue and debate :?

I was very disgruntled as well to find out that because our son is baptised Anglican that he could not attend a Catholic School in Thames Valley DSB, even though DH is. There is some small clause in the education act that allows them to exclude non-Catholic children. At the time, I didn't have the energy or the time to fight it. If anyone wants to have a go, I'd be happy to join in the fray.
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Mom
    what if you dont pay property taxes?
    Your landlord does, therefore it's included in your rent.

Wind,Sand&Stars

We also wanted to get our DD into catholic school. We were told that she had to be baptised to attend catholic school. DH is catholic I am not... I was very dissapointed with the hard time they gave us about it. Basically we were told that I would have to meet with the priest and attend Sunday school with the rest of my family. I had no problem baptising my child but I was very upset when the individual I spoke to said how they didn't think it made much sense to have our child baptised and attend a catholic school since I was not a member of the church and that it would be confusing to our children to be exposed to different religions.

Needless to say, I was very unhappy. Our daughter is in a public school now.

Just curious - why does everyone want their child to attend Catholic school if your family isn't Catholic?

I'm a practising RC, DD is baptised RC, but DH is Anglican and wants DD to eventually go to public school, while I want Catholic.

Wind,Sand&Stars

My husband is catholic and attended catholic school. I think it is important for him for many reasons. We both like the idea of the school day started with prayer even though we do this at home anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle
    Just curious - why does everyone want their child to attend Catholic school if your family isn't Catholic?

I'm a practising RC, DD is baptised RC, but DH is Anglican and wants DD to eventually go to public school, while I want Catholic.
    In my case the Catholics school is at the end of my street. The Public school is more than a kilometer away.

Makes sense to me. Here there is a school at the end of my street that has dwindling enrollment and they won't accept my child who is friends with all the other Catholic kids on the street. Really, it does NOT make sense.

We wanted to for two reasons - it was closest to the day care and we were of the understanding that they have a better curriculumn. (I'm probably wrong on this one...)
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Administrator Site Admin

Sorry if this sounds rude but it really bothers me that people would want to send their children to a catholic school if they aren't catholic.

I don't understand why you would want your child to go to a school where they couldn't participate fully. What will your child do while mine are preparing for the sacraments? First communion, reconciliation, confirmation, etc. It is a big part of the religious experience and education. All the preparation takes place at school and then it is a big deal for the kids to all do it together in a special ceremony.

It just doesn't make sense to me. If you want your child to participate then go ahead and make the choice to raise your kids catholic and have yourself and them baptised.

If you were able to send your kids to the catholic school would you be attending catholic church on the weekends? If not then why bother and if you are then why not just go through the process.
    Leslie

Wind,Sand&Stars

I don't think religion has to be all or nothing...I think in the end most of us are praying to the same God. We wanted to have our child baptised and we were discouraged from doing so simply because I am not a member of the same religion. In our case I don't think our child would have a problem participating in any religious cermonies unique to catholisism simply because one of her parents prays in a different fashion.

I can totally understand where you are coming from Leslie... I see the reasoning. I guess for me it is no different than a muslim or jewish child attending the same public school. Children are still able to participate in religious activites (Ramadan, Hanukkah) regardless of the religious beliefs of others and from what I have seen this is encouraged.

This was written in haste...hopefully it makes sense

I can totally understand where you are coming from Leslie... I see the reasoning. I guess for me it is no different than a muslim or jewish child attending the same public school. Children are still able to participate in religious activites (Ramadan, Hanukkah) regardless of the religious beliefs of others and from what I have seen this is encouraged.
    It's not the same though... There aren't 'religious activities' at public schools - you don't have to pray muslim prayers 5 times a day or celebrate Hanukkah with the candles at school (sorry if I've got these wrong, you get my point, right?), but you DO have to say prayers, grace before lunch, go to school masses and celebrate Advent, CHRISTmas (the nativity kind, not Santa Claus), Easter, Lent, etc. while you are at Catholic school... during the day anyway, what you do at home is your own thing.

I agree with what Leslie was saying. Sort of - it's your own business where you want to send your kids, but they really will be isolated. I can still name the two people in my Grade 8 class who didn't get confirmed - they were totally left out. I went to Catholic schools all my life and it teaches the religion, not just the morals and the philosophy. Your kids will be taught what is right and wrong from the point of view of the vatican, so it's a big choice about whether or not you agree with it. If you're going to have to spend your weekends at home explaining why you don't agree with the church's opinion on abortion, birth control, capital punishment, homosexual marriage, masturbation, sex before marriage, etc etc., then put them in public school and let them learn from you anyway.

But again, it's your choice and I'm indifferent to it - I just wanted to throw out that perspective.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast