Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Where should I live in London??

My DH and I decided today that we are going to eventually move to London probably before next fall. He would like to live off of commissioners somewhere in a house. I like this area also but I have no idea of pricing, what certain area's are like, where I can find something I can afford and such. I want to find a foreclosed property.
    Can anyone give me some insight?.. Im kinda scared, this will affect my entire family.. I need a good catholic school near by, I would like to be within a half decent distance to a hospital, and I don't know anyone or have any friends in London.
    I want to live in a clean area where people keep to them selves and won't wreck my property.
    Maybe I am asking for too much lol.. its a new start for my family and I'm really nervous!!

What area off of Commissioners are you thinking? It's sort of a long street.

To get an idea of pricing, check MLS in the areas you are interested to see what houses are going for around there.

Good luck and don't panic! You'll narrow down your search as you start investigating.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Talk to a realtor and be specific about your needs. If they are knowledgeable about the city, they will steer you in the right directions.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

I love my area, not too far off Commissioners, near Southdale. Newer homes in Byron, Sumercrest Estates. There are some really nice home for sale in my area right now. If you are looking for a realtor, I can pass along the name of the guys that worked for us (they were awesome - and very patient)

Expert Forum User

I should have known Lisa would be right in her saying Byron! LOL

I live in Old South/Wortley Villiage (kind of central London) It is a very unique part of London with Old Homes if you are interested in that. The neighbourhood is AMAZING. Everyone is so friendly and I have never had issue with property damage (not to say it doesn't happen, since it happens everywhere). We are walking distance to downtown but we have a little "villiage" with all kinds of unique stores and such that I spend most of my time and money in. Here is a website to give you an idea of the neighbourhood. http://www.wortleyvillage.com/

ETA: does Byron have a website Lisa??
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

we're looking for a house too...I'll be keeping my eye on this thread

Expert Forum User

I love my area near Masonville, too. It feels like a long way to the Children's Hospital but it's only a 15 minute drive. It so depends upon your personal tastes, there are many different, all wonderful, areas in London. You will have to decide based on your personal likes and dislikes, as well as price-range.
    If you want to be within walking distance of a Catholic school, why not start by mapquesting the catholic schools in London, then compare that to mls listings.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

I personally, would only move into Oakridge, Byron, Lambeth or parts of Westmount (this is IMO)...
    There is a good Catholic School in Byron, I'm not sure about Oakridge or Westmount but I know the kids from Lambeth are bussed into Byron to St. Georges...

LOVE LOVE LOVE my house in Old South. I have lived downtown, near Masonville and in Old South.
    We have a century home and the neighbourhood is very community focused. St. Martin Catholic school in right in the centre of Wortley Village. Drive around the city and see what appeals to you. That way you can have a better idea.
    This is a tough one - you are going to get many opinions since everyone probably loves where they live
    Overachieving underachiever

Thanks everyone!! This is very helpful. Any more opinions are greatly welcomed. My biggest fear, is that of some here, where you move into an area and buy a house and don't end up liking the neighborhood.. it's hard to just buy and sell and pick up a family and move all the time.. not that it cant be done.. I would just hate to have to do that.
    Where I currently lived I moved in almost 5 years ago and I loved it then, and over the years the community became really terrible.. and its too bad because I love my property, but I can't even stand walking out my door anymore.. which shouldn't happen.... but it happens.
    I'm going to look into all the suggestions. I have lots to think about.

Polly

I think White Oaks is a great area, there's a catholic school at the north end of Ernest, you're less than 10 minutes drive from the hospital; there's a fantastic library and community centre just across from the Mall; a swimming pool at White Oaks PS, lots of stores within walking distance and it's close to the 401. I don't have a car during the day and in an afternoon I can walk up to a brand new Shoppers on Jalna for a browse, across to Loblaws on Southdale to buy some posh food for dinner, down to Chapters on Wellington for a nice coffee and then back to White Oaks school to collect my son. The houses are about 30 years old on large lots and quiet crescents with people of all ages and nationaliities.

Mitchell, ON, far enough to be quaint but close enough to visit

Smile

I'll keep my eyes posted on this too, as we are moving to london in the next year, i'm a little nervous, always lived in a small town and not very good with directions, so definetly need a GPS system or i'll get lost. I have 3 children and want a friendly neighbourhood thats quiet and neat. I am so nervous, sound like a big baby but like i said we live in a small town where alot of us know each other.....i did get one site where you can register for free and they send you new houses that aren't listed yet that meet what your looking for....this is it www.visionreality.ca that may help you.....good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by momofallboys View Post
    , i'm a little nervous, always lived in a small town and not very good with directions, so definetly need a GPS system or i'll get lost. I have 3 children and want a friendly neighbourhood thats quiet and neat. I am so nervous, sound like a big baby but like i said we live in a small town where alot of us know each other...
    Exactally. This is why this is going to be hard for us also

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBlondy View Post
    My biggest fear, is that of some here, where you move into an area and buy a house and don't end up liking the neighborhood..
    Maybe you should start by creating a list of priorities for you and your family -- is it to be close to certain schools, to a job, to family? Is it a large lot with lots of trees? A newer house that doesn't need much work? What do you want in your neighbourhood? To be within walking distance to stores and parks? Or do you have a second vehicle, in which case, this isn't as important.

So exciting!

mom2mar

Hi I think my house is what you're looking for check it out. It's a cul-de-sac ,great for a growing family.Here is the link. http://www.inthehouse.com/fulllistin...ouseid=1020163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast