Expert Forum User

Default Selling a house.

DH and I are thinking of putting our townhouse condo up for sale. Just wonder what people did to get their house ready to get the best value. We don't have a lot of money to put into it since I am on mat leave. I don't even really want to paint but if I must I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get some paint.

Thanks

Expert Forum User

I would get rid of as much clutter as you can. I rearranged furniture and put away/got rid of as much stuff as I could before we sold our house. If you have crazy bold colours I would consider painting. If you have tons of family photos I would put some away.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

de cluttering is free and can have a huge impact. Also you have less to pack
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

We rented a storage unit (10x10 for about $130 a month) and majorly decluttered, made a huge difference. Re-arranged the furniture to make it even more spacious, finished small jobs we'd put off (quarter round and such). I have very bold colours in the living/dining areas but didn't repaint, what I did do was freshen up the door/trim paint which was white in a lot of the rooms. Made it nice and fresh looking. We took down lots of personal pictures, patched the holes and painted and did a major cleaning (trim/baseboard/windows/floors/walls/cupboards). When we decluttered we took some stuff out of our cupboards too to make them look more spacious. We had the exterior repainted in the fall and the paint was peeling already on the porch so I slapped a coat of paint on there. We sold in less then a week so something was working!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Declutter, then when you think it looks good, declutter some more
    Remove unused furniture, and for showings, put big baby stuff (saucer, swing etc) stored in the closet or basement.
    Remove family photos from walls, if you have decorations they need to be just generic, nothing too passionate or personal (don't go overboard on Nascar or a love for tigers or a collection of Coke products or whatever!). Scenery is ok, or mirrors to make stuff look bigger.
    Touchup paint is a must -- baseboards, doorways, windowsills, and anywhere where large chips are showing.
    Shampoo carpets.
    Little things like using furniture polish on wood or using actual mop n glow on floors can make a difference, also shine your silver faucets and taps.
    Someone told me to use the pucks in your toilet so the water is blue but lol mine has been letting out blue chunks instead of dissolving right so I'm not sure it helps
    If blinds are broken or messy, get new ones == cheap but effective.
    When you show the house have all blinds open, windows clean, lights on.

Make sure the yard is as clean as possible -- put all toys in one area or away if you can, trim, clip etc til it looks well manicured.

If you have pets, vacuum constantly and keep windows open a lot to get rid of the ktty or doggy smells, you won't smell it, but others will, because they don't live there. (Not being mean, it's true -- just like my mom doesn't smell her house stinks like smoke, I don't smell my dog when we had her, in my house but mom did).

I sold a house in London one time, in four hours flat. The realtor insisted we should redo our paint, make it neutral all the way, but we resisted and said if it doesn't sell, then we'll put that work into it. But it sold, and the people commented they loved the rich colours, saves them having to paint! so it depends how out there your style is.

HTH some.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

When we sold our condo (took 5 hours to sell), we put new handles on the kitchen cupboards to give more of an updated look (bought the multi-pack at Canadian Tire), we de-cluttered, removed any pictures that we had up. Shampoo'd the carpets in the main living areas (rented a machine from the grocery store and did it ourselves), we had awesome agents that also provided us with a free staging company so they came in and gave us a few more pointers. Then the house was listed, our first showing was that night and they made an offer for 100% of asking, then no need to stress or worry about the constant cleaning.

The best things you can do for sale...

Make sure your house looks really good on the out side.. cut your grass, trim bushes, plant flowers if you have to, touch up any peeling paint, pain the front door a nice new colour if the door is all banged up, clean the windows and screen doors. Make repairs to porch or driveway if needed...

The out side is so important because its the first thing you see. If the out side doesn't look very nice people might assume the inside is the same.

Inside get rid of all your personal belongings and store them away. Because this causes clutter and no one wants to see your collections and zillions of photo frames.
    Paint, paint, paint! Paint EVERYTHING.. its the cheapest thing you can do that makes a huge difference!!!!!!!! Even if you paint everything a fresh clean egg shell. Stick with neutral colours.

Replace lighting and fixtures with newer ones if everything is dated.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to make a home look good... there are lots of places you can go to..
    check out wal mart for gallons of paint on sale. you can get a half gallon of paint and re paint cupboards for $4.00.. if you look for deals it helps.

Habitat for humanity is also another fav place of mine!!!
    Last edited by BlondeBlondy; 05-13-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Everyone's advice is really good - when I decluttered to sell I made sure there wqere a few 1/2 empty shelves here and there. Makes it look like you have too much storage sace.

And definately pay attention to the outside - you don't want anyone to drive by and not stop...few flowers can go a long way.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~