Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Anyone else find this Dairy Queen ad disturbing?

In case it gets moved or pulled I am referring to the new Dairy Queen ad where the little girls is getting a sundae with her mom, smiles at a boy complete with the hair flip and then tells her mom "I think we just need one" only to have the little boy offering her one with the tag line as she takes a bite "Its like shooting fish in a barrel"

WTH....is this the message we want to send to our young children? Use your sexuality to manipulate others to get what you want? What are our values coming to?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xDiASRHDtiI&feature=related

If you find this ad as disturbing as i do please take a moment to drop them an line and let them know!!! If we do not stand up as a society and send the message to the media and advertizers that we have had enough of our presious children being sexualized to sell their prodocts where will it end???

http://www.dairyqueen.com/ca-en/talk-to-dq/

Here is my comment I left "I just wanted to comment that I feel that your current 'like shooting fish in a barrel' TV ad campaign is truly disturbing to me. The sexualization of our children to sell products in the media needs to STOP! If this is the 'value' behind the Dairy Queen chain than I am afraid to say that our weekly visits to your establishments in London Ontario will have to stop as well. I am ashamed that such an ad made it to TV and want to send a message to our son that children are not to be exploited and any company that does so is not one we want to support with out hard earned money!
    Last edited by totallyawake; 05-07-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Expert Forum User

I was a bit shocked to see it aswell. I do hope they decide to make some changes to it.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

I just saw this ad last night!! What is with DQ and all their controversial ads?? You'd think after the backlash from their ad where the little boy was hanging from the back of the door that they'd learn.....

I completely agree. I saw this ad a few days ago, and was appalled at the blatant sexual overtones! I will also be voicing my displeasure with Dairy Queen. Thank you for posting the link for me to do so.
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Expert Forum User

DQ is rude.... too many bad ads... makes me not want to go there again..

How sad to use children like this to try to ugh.... okay.. at a total loss for words.
    Last edited by Annie; 05-07-2008 at 07:19 AM.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

I too found it disturbing. Thankyou for posting the link for us to contact them

Expert Forum User

Ive made a complaint. I didn't think to do that before, Thanks for posting the link. Its to bad their food is overpriced and now we have to watch that kind of crap, it just angers me.

Thanks for the link, I thought it was quite disturbing when I saw it the first time as well. My first thought was actually, "that mom is in for a lot of trouble from her daughter"...

Expert Forum User

I know they are over priced - most fast food is which is one reason why we do not 'eat' out for a whole meal too often! It frustrates me cause Dairy Queen is one of the very few places I have found that I can eat out for a 'Gluten Free treat' but I will be sitting and watching my other half and step son somewhere else now I am that offended by this ad!
    Last edited by totallyawake; 05-07-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Expert Forum User

Saw that the other night and said out loud...."stupid commercial".

Expert Forum User

haha dq I find some of the meals are way more pricy then mcdonalds or other fast food. I was looking at the prices a few days ago and was wondering how a hamburger with fries and drink are $8 something when I can get same thing for 6$ at mcdonalds or Wendys.

I've downsized to a sweet little yellow brick home in Old East. My backyard is a haven for birds :)

Thanks for posting the link - I just sent a message expressing my disgust at the commercial.
    Love seeketh not itself to please,
    Nor for itself hath any care,
    But for another gives its ease,
    And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

- William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Skye.S View Post
    haha dq I find some of the meals are way more pricy then mcdonalds or other fast food. I was looking at the prices a few days ago and was wondering how a hamburger with fries and drink are $8 something when I can get same thing for 6$ at mcdonalds or Wendys.
    LOL - I never look at that side of the menu board - that is disgusting prices for a frozen patty and a bun!!! I thought the $4.00 for a blizzard that is basically the same as a McFlurry that is only $2 was bad!

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=Annie;177952]DQ is rude.... too many bad ads... makes me not want to go there again..

I agree completley...between the one that had sooo many complaints (the dad hanging the kid up on the hook) and they still didn't pull it...I believe there was another I didn't like either....If they want advertising to work go with something that doesn't offend most your client base (i.e. parents)

My comment to DQ.
    I am baffled as to why a company who's sales rely on children (i.e the parents of those children) purchasing the product you continue to offend your clients. Your new ad sexualizing a young girl is beyond my belief. Over the years I have not shopped at your establishments mainly because I continue to watch crude offending ads on TV which you seem to refuse to remove. I honestly hope that some day you will realize that these offending ads are causing you to lose customers and begin a campaign that will both sell your product and show families/children as they are, not mock or sexualize them.
    Last edited by Mommymanda; 05-07-2008 at 08:42 AM.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

This is one of DQ's less risky adds actually..and thats sad to say

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast