Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Where is the common sense gone in packing groceries?

Do the grocery stores give cashiers a quick course on "How to pack grocery bags 101"? before putting them on the till.... ie: DO NOT put ALL the can goods in one cloth provided bag, making it as full as you can, DO NOT place strawberry trays on their side so that all the juice leaks out into the cloth bag and then on to the seat/floor of the vehicle (actually I took it back out of the bag and put it in a plastic bag myself), DO NOT place frozen pizza on its side (I also took this out and laid it flat in the cart) and fill the bag up with items that require standing up right (ie juice containers), DO NOT place packages of meat sideways in the cloth bag... ask if they'd like it in plastic (this too I took out and asked for a bag), DO NOT put soft fruit / veggies in the back first, only to load up the top with heavier items to squish the bottom items, etc, etc ... do I have to mention bakery products???? I don't consider myself a fanatic about packing correctly, but a bit of common sense would be appreciated!

Oh yes, and a hello (or even a smile) and a thank you, come again wouldn't hurt either.

(sorry, rant over)

(SuperStore @ Gammage)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Superstore has the selfserve checkouts dont' they? You might like them better lol.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Rant away - LOL - had a casheir put canned goods on top of my eggs once - and I heard them crack and she just kept going oblivious - I wonder if after packing so much they just 'zone out'? I had to literally put my hand on hers to stop her cause she didnt hear me saying 'excuse me' and pull out the eggs and show her. Even then she wasnt too apologetic just called for someone to bring me more and went back to trying to pack the bag. Ummm - thanks but I can do it.

Now we use the plastic 'grocery bins' and I always pack my bins myself or other half does it - we usually shop at places like No Frills where we have to do it ourselves but we do it even when they offer the service - for the same reason....some people just do not think about stuff like that or they do not realize that some of us cannot lift 40 pounds of canned goods with one hand anymore.

To avoid this, when I put the groceries on the conveyor belt I organize them so that when they pack them up there won't be a problem. I put all fruit/veggies together, dry goods, cans, frozen stuff, and last I put on the eggs and bread products. It usually works well, I've never had problems with squished groceries. I don't shop at that Superstore though

That being said...I shouldn't have to organize things for them. They SHOULD know how to pack things properly.

Expert Forum User

LOL!!!
    I hate it when they pack any cleaning supplies in with the food - I had a container of Lysol leak all over fruit and vegetables once - what a waste - I had to throw it all out!!!
    or baguettes / bread that are not in sealed packages - Why would you stick that next to something that's dirty or sticky - I can't count the times I would pull a squished, soggy baguette from the grocery bag.
    I too, prefer to pack my own stuff anymore. I've found A&P is pretty good about packing stuff but the Loblaws is getting skimpier and skimpier on the bags. If I'm somewhere that they pack my bags, I often put it on the conveyor in the order I want it packed - frozen and cold stuff together, cleaning supplies together, bakery products and chips together etc...

Expert Forum User

At least yours bagged them for you. We went to RCSS in Oakridge last week and she didn't even attempt to bags our groceries and just pushed them all to the end and we had to bag them with two kids in tow. There was a huge wait in line because of us but really it was the cashier.

I hate to create a tangent, but since we're talking grocery packing, did the Oxford West RCSS switch to self bagging recently? I was in the checkout and looked down and all my groceries were just sitting there, piling up at the end of the checkout. I started to help as fast as I could and noticed people around me packing their own too.

Cooper's Mom - we posted at the same time! Maybe they are doing self-bagging now! Why would I bother? I guess I'll stick to self-checkout now.

Polly

I always pack my bags myself, my cloth bags are very floppy and I should imagine it would be very hard for the cashier to do it while trying to scan things through. So I get them ready (half folded down) and load the conveyer in the order I'll be packing it. Heavy things first, squashable things last.

Before I started bringing my own bags though - so many cashiers woudl put one thing in one bag. What a waste.

I know what you mean about stupid packing some of the cashiers are fantastic and spread our heavy items between bins and everything, others have no clue!

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Superstore has the selfserve checkouts dont' they? You might like them better lol.
    Those things are so absolutely ridculous if you have a bunch of stuff. You have to swipe each item individually, put it down, do the next. Takes forever! And then it yells if you do anything else or you can't find a particular produce item. I've used them a couple of times and I don't bother anymore!

Expert Forum User

Those things are so absolutely ridculous if you have a bunch of stuff. You have to swipe each item individually, put it down, do the next. Takes forever! And then it yells if you do anything else or you can't find a particular produce item. I've used them a couple of times and I don't bother anymore!
    and... If you need to remove some of the bags to get more stuff rung through you have to wait for a cashier to do it for you - and where am I supposed to put the full bags when I still have half a cart full of groceries to ring in????

Wow you actually get a packer? lol.. We shop at superstore and hardly ever have any assistance with packing.

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post
    and... If you need to remove some of the bags to get more stuff rung through you have to wait for a cashier to do it for you - and where am I supposed to put the full bags when I still have half a cart full of groceries to ring in????
    no kidding! I suggested trying it once with my husband when we had a bunch of stuff, we were fit to be tied by the end! Sooo frustrating and the poor cashier is left running all over the place!

Expert Forum User

I always shop at superstore for that reason..I can pack my own and I'm very particular about it. I know people get irritated when I drag my cartful of groceries to the self checkout, but oh well. I prefer to do it myself.

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrsKK View Post
    To avoid this, when I put the groceries on the conveyor belt I organize them so that when they pack them up there won't be a problem. I put all fruit/veggies together, dry goods, cans, frozen stuff, and last I put on the eggs and bread products. It usually works well, I've never had problems with squished groceries. I don't shop at that Superstore though

That being said...I shouldn't have to organize things for them. They SHOULD know how to pack things properly.
    This is what we do as well. That is until one of the kids decides to help and randomly throw food on. lol.
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast