Thread: Grade Retention

Default Grade Retention

Hi All,

My 6 year girl was born 5 weeks early on December 26th. She's behind in everything, math, grammar and has no friends at school, except for 1 girl in grade 1, she's in grade 2. Everything points to her being held back a grade but the school and board is adamant against that. Not sure if we should keep fighting or try and stick it out. We've lots of meetings with the teacher, principal, trustee, super etc.

If she was fine academically but not socially we'd work with her and keep her in grade 2, and vice versa. But it's tough being behind on both fronts. The kicker is no one plays with her from her class, not because they're mean but because she's not at their level.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by SL6433 View Post
    Hi All,

My 6 year girl was born 5 weeks early on December 26th. She's behind in everything, math, grammar and has no friends at school, except for 1 girl in grade 1, she's in grade 2. Everything points to her being held back a grade but the school and board is adamant against that. Not sure if we should keep fighting or try and stick it out. We've lots of meetings with the teacher, principal, trustee, super etc.

If she was fine academically but not socially we'd work with her and keep her in grade 2, and vice versa. But it's tough being behind on both fronts. The kicker is no one plays with her from her class, not because they're mean but because she's not at their level.
    My middle daughter has dealt with a hearing impairment since birth, she also has a speech articulation disorder and unofficially dyslexia as well. She's been early IDed for her social skills (or lack of). Anyway - grade 2 has been going so much better than grade 1. She now has a group of girls she calls her friends, she's invited to birthday parties, she plays at recess with them. She says hi to them out in public. She still is playing well below her age most of the time. She has more interest in playing pretend, dressing up, etc... but what's the rush?

Her grades aren't too bad (aside from language), but I really understand your concerns. I do know that they can hold back kids, but it is very rare comparatively to how it was when we were younger. Just remember the teacher is teaching grade 2, they fully expect to be teaching students at a wide range of abilities. My daughters teacher can adopt to her reading at a SK level, and also to her friend who reads chapter books fluently. Does she currently have an IEP in place? What additional supports and accommodations are happening in the classroom?

I expressed concerns with the lack of friends/social skills at the end of grade 1, and my concerns were taken seriously. The teacher made sure to pair my daughter up with great kids in her class. Ones that would help her, work with her and protect her (just to have someone say, no that isn't nice when someone makes fun of how she speaks). She even offered to help facilitate play-dates outside of school with her classmates.