Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By melissawilliam
  • 1 Post By rachel0722
  • 5 Post By forever_L_mom

Thread: Taking the kids out of school for the last month

Expert Forum User

Default Taking the kids out of school for the last month

I was thinking about pulling my kids out for the last month (Grade 3 and Grade 1). They currently have good grades and I'm not overly worried about them missing too much. DH has been working on the west coast so we would take around 2-3 weeks driving across the states visiting various landmarks and attractions. I feel torn but also don't really want to wait another month and not get there until mid-end July and have less time visiting with DH before school starts back up again.Would you take your kids out of school for the last month to travel?

Expert Forum User

Personally, I wouldn't pull them out for a month. A week to travel, sure. But a month would be too much for my family.

I don't like the idea of kids having 2 months off in the summer, so extending that to three would be something I'd never do.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I think if you pull them out for more than 3 weeks than they need to be demitted them from the school. I'd probably keep that in mind and leave 2 weeks before the end of the school year.

Expert Forum User

I see nothing wrong with it. If you feel the 3 months entertaining your kids is too long then I might wait. I would look into them having devices with internet so they can follow where they are on a map. Or see if CAA still gives you trip-tiks that the kids can flip and follow along - you used to have to order these in advance.

I would also get some journly-scrap books and have them take a couple pictures each day of important things and draw a picture and write a sentence (gr1), paragraph (grade 3) of what they saw that day. They can write the title at the top of which city and state they were in. I would attach a large map of the US at the front and have them draw a line of where they drove each night

This would be an amazing book to share with friends in September
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

I think its an awesome idea. I know my girlfriend just moved to Nova Scotia and she left last week and is keeping them out til September. It was no issue with the school.

Expert Forum User

I'd do it in your situation. Go for it. Just let the school know soon and make sure they know you're coming back! Have fun!

Expert Forum User

Thanks ladies. I've been in contact with the teachers that this might be a possibility and neither of them said it would be an issue. I'm feeling a little bit crazy doing this but I feel like it will be an amazing experience for us. I already bought notebooks for the kids to write a journal in. Thanks for the idea about attaching a map and thank you for the caa idea. I'm going to contact them and see if they still do them and how long it takes to make one up.

Ali

I think it's great--what an amazing learning experience for them!

Awesome idea! Go for it! They'll learn more on a road trip than in the last month anyways

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'd totally do it if I wanted to. I've always taken my kids out of school when I felt the urge to - like if their dad has been away a lot, which lately had been a pattern of about one in seventeen days home with us -- I wouldn't hesitate to keep them home from school for that day he's with us if it wasn't a weekend day. I've also taken them out in the past when we lived farther from family, to do trips home. Once there was a threat to their safety via dh's work and an angry family associated with his work, and I kept my son home for a month before we felt safe to bring him back.
    It's just school. It shouldn't trump things that are more important, like family or experiences.
    I do put value on school, like for mine it's a hugely helpful thing socially and I like that they have experiences there like learning musical instruments or dance, stuff I can't offer them. But I also don't think it is going to ruin their future prospects to miss time here and there.

Have fun!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Absolutely I would do it! They will learn more in those weeks then they ever would at school, especially the last month! What a great experience for all of you.
    sardam likes this.

in my opinion that is too long. two weeks max.

Expert Forum User

Just thought I would update this. I ended up taking the kids out of school (their last day was May 25th). I am so happy that I did it. I doubt we will ever have the opportunity again to drop what we are doing and to travel like this. Also seeing the kids reunite with their father was so precious. We have learned so much the past three weeks on the road and we also have so much to research now this summer about things we have seen and to further learn about. Who knew travelling and camping across the country with three kids could go so wonderfully. I would do it again in a heartbeat.