Question Cat registration and licensing

Does anyone know what kind of pull that Animal Care and Control has over cats and licensing them? We have three indoor cats - they never go outside. Ever. IMO this is a huge money grab for them, but the last thing I need are crazy fines thrown my way.

What influence do they have? Can they enter your house to do a numbers check?

Someone I know invited a relative to her house. The two indoor house cats were there. During the visit everything was fine. Later, the relative told her she thought one of the cats had bitten her. She went to the doctor, the doctor called animal control, she got an inspector at her house.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

They were doing house checks in my neighbourhood - they saw my cat in the window and I got nailed.
    I am not sure if they can go in your house. I now just license the cat- she is also an indoor cat. The fines if you get caught are way more the the license fee.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

I don't buy the licence until they come knocking at the door demanding I pay it.

It is just a huge cash grab - when they picked up my cat they denied having it, despite having a recent photo.... put him to sleep before I could even say goodbye.

Expert Forum User

They absolutely can not enter your house without permission. Yes they are making the rounds. I won't pay for a license for an indoor cat. It is a cash grab.

Expert Forum User

Typically, they 'catch' the cats sunbathing and then you have to register the sunbather and any other cats in sight.

Honestly, I have 5 animals licensed and it's only $90/year and the money goes towards helping animal control to do their job. If your cats are spayed/neutered and microchipped it cuts the fee down significantly as well, from something like 25/cat to 15 or so.

They cannot enter your house without some type of legal document that states your animals are being confiscated or investigated for xxxx.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by IsisBaily View Post
    and the money goes towards helping animal control to do their job.
    As long as you know that Animal Care and Control in London is a for-profit company that the City of London also pays in order to care and control London's animals.

Animal care and control spends aprox. 80% of it's time on the street collecting fees (there is a report somewhere that outlines time spent) - not looking after animals. Plus I personally had a really bad experience with them and their lack of both professionalism and honesty.