Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jellybean

Thread: pretending to be a dog/cat

Expert Forum User

Question pretending to be a dog/cat

What is up with acting like dogs and cats? Both my kids are constantly behaving like animals, barking and on all 4s and eating crackers from the floor. It drives me crazy and I am always saying stop and be yourselves. Tonight hubby lost it and told both to stop. It was actually a little funny, he never scolds them or raises his voice.

Anyone have ideas on how I can curb this?

think I am so flustered about this that I can't think straight

We do not have pets because we are not home much, but they do visit my MIL who has cats and my folks that have dogs.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

What's wrong with some pretend play?
    As long as they're not doing it during class or something that disrupts school, or at the dinner table?
    My daughter and her friends have an elaborate pretend game they play at recess that they're all wolves, and they have it set up who is
    an alpha, a pup, a lone wolf, etc and I think it's fantastic they play something with running around and pretending.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

If it was once in a while I would not mind but this is ALL THE TIME. They have Barbies, , stuffies and games but haven't touched them in months. Anytime they are awake this seems to be the game they both play. This morning I hear in the bedroom "ok now you are the puppy, bark puppy and do a trick" they were still in pjs. I have asked them to play school or house without the animals or even a board game.

Expert Forum User

DD1 used to pretend to be a cat. A lot. It did get a little weird. We realized that she mostly did it when she was shy or nervous like if we were out somewhere or were introducing her to new people. She got over it when she started JK. Her sister was a baby at the time so it was just her thing that she started herself, not sure if she picked it up from tv, daycare, or anything else.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Both my kids went through phases of being puppies. I didn't see the big deal. I let them play, but refused to feed them on the floor, or buy into it. "Oh I need my big girl/boy at the table now to eat. Quickly transform for dinner, you can change back into a puppy after dinner." In the grand view of life this seemed like a very short phase. I embraced it and enjoyed it. My kids grew out of it so quickly. By end of grade 2 it was gone. You seem concerned about it. What concerns you about this?
    Ingalls and LaLa like this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'd make sure they get that there's a time and a place, like no you can't be a dog/cat during class, at the supper table, or when we're visiting someone in the hospital/nursinghome , at the doctor, etc. But at home, I really can't see the harm. They're pretending They're playing Those are good things. And they're doing it TOGETHER! YAY!
    The phase will pass, they'll bore of it eventually.
    If you don't like it around you because you're just sick of barks and meows, why not just tell them if they want to play that, go to their rooms or outside? I have no problem banishing my kids from the main level if they want to play ipad games with sound on, or play recorder, or pretend they're opera singers. They don't take any offence to it.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I have an 8yr old and a 5 yr old, both girls. Tell me that this phase eventually passes. anyone? LoL
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!