Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gogomom

Thread: how do you set limits with the ipad for your little ones?

Default how do you set limits with the ipad for your little ones?

If your little one has an ipad, how would you set limits on their use? When I give the ipad to my two little ones, they could be on it forever until the battery dies. I don't like to see them on it all the time. At times it is given to them to distract them or give me free time to do something. When I ask for it back , they are usually reluctant to return it. Even throwing a fit at times- especially the 4 year old. Other times they might be obedient and courteous about returning it effortlessly. It varies. But usually they dont like to, and then they ask for it often when they dont have it. I have not been handing it over to them days on stretch and they forget about it and everything is fine, but when I do hand it over to them with for example a time limit, they get upset when it is time to hand it over. There are educational games on it that I would like them to use it for, and then there is just 'games' on it that they end up playing more than the educational stuff which gets to me to not wanting them to be on it so often.

anyhow: how do you set limits with the ipad for your little ones. When do you let them use it and for how long? Are there any battles with any of you and your kids/ipad use? and how old roughly are they with their ipad privilege?

Expert Forum User

I don't set limits - I never have.

My kids can spend hours on their devices (we have 18 internet connected devices in our home), they also spend hours on homework, friends, and sport, so it's not something I ever worried about.
    strongmommy likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

For me it totally depends on the day.
    Sometimes, the 4 year old wakes at six am and has no intention of going back to sleep and I hand her the ipad, kiss her head, and go back to bed. lol I don't *have* to be up
    until almost eight.
    Sometimes she gets it for an hour in the afternoon after we've run errands, played with friends, had lunch, played together for a while.
    Sometimes she doesn't get it at all.
    I think just go with whatever works.

For my kids they are told if they cause a fuss when it's time to give it back, they won't get it for a while, so they don't.
    Also we have one, and three kids, plus I use it, so there's a lot of understanding that you each get a TURN, not that it is yours and you have free reign over it.
    That seems to help.

Sometimes I set her up at my desktop instead, and she plays pbs kids or tvo games or something instead for a bit,
    and sometimes I just tell them we don't need devices every day. Let's take a break from it.

They may fight it at first but they'll get used to it. IF you're organized, which I'm not, you could make a schedule and say that every fourth day we have no devices or something.
    I can't do that. I wouldn't stick to it. I would some days want to allow them games because it gives me a break.
    My girls often play their turns together, which may sound bad, two hours straight, but they don't just play games with it. They set it up and pretend it is a movie theatre for their toys, or they put on kid song videos and dance to it, or they look up stuff like which beanie boos do they want and which do they have.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I do limit. My 3 yr old can play on it for an hour in the afternoon and my almost 6 yr old can have it for an hour in the evening whether it's to play a game or watch Netflix.

My kids get 40 minutes after school. I set up a timer. When the bell goes off they know to hand it over to their sibling or put it away. If they fuss to much, they lose the privilege of the ipad the next day (rarely happens). On week-ends they get a lot more time. I am not usually timing it then.

Expert Forum User

Our 6 year old gets 20 minutes on a timer. Otherwise she would sit there and watch toy review videos all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Findabhair View Post
    Our 6 year old gets 20 minutes on a timer. Otherwise she would sit there and watch toy review videos all day.
    Lol, I thought my kids were the only ones lol. Especially the kinder egg surprise toys review lol.....