Default Do your kids help with school lunch making?

Curious if any ones kids helps make their own lunches? At what age can you start to encourage them to do so?
    I have a 4 and 6 year old, I obviously make their lunches at this point, but wondering how I can slowly start incorporating them into meal time prep? At most right now, I am asking them their preferences or choices on lunch time meals or snacks.

Also, do you surprise them with their snacks/lunch (meaning you just make something and pack it and they will find out when they open their lunch bag? ), or do you tell them in the morning what they will be having??

Also, do you make the lunches in the evenings, or the morning of school? thanks
    Last edited by FirstTimeMomIn2009; 04-04-2016 at 10:22 AM.

My kids are 3 1/2 and 5. My oldest goes to bed first and his younger brother helps me make his lunch almost every evening. A few nights a week we make his lunch earlier so they can both help. I don't think ages 4 and 6 are too young to help at all. I figure the younger they are, the easier it is to make it a habit in the years to come.

Sometimes at bedtime I'll ask him if there's anything special he'd like in his lunch the next day but most days it's generally a surprise. I figure by next year when he's in grade one, his bedtime will be a bit later and he will be able to help make his lunch nightly.

Expert Forum User

I made my kids lunches until the end of 8th grade.

As soon as high school started they have to make their own... I still buy everything they need, they just have to put it together themselves.

I know a Mom who still makes her kids lunches - the oldest is a university grad who works full time and the youngest is graduating high school this year.

I do it mainly because I do it while making dinner. Mine would love to help and could do it, but I just like to do things quickly and my own way.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Nope, they do not help, because I know what groceries I need to make stretch or which I can spare. I am not on a budget exactly, it's more that it's a pain in the ass to walk to the store for fruit all the time, or I don't want to buy something and have nobody choose it so it goes to waste. I do every month or so ask them for feedback. What would you like to
    see in your lucnhes sometimes, what are you sick of, stuff like that.
    But no, they don't have a say really.
    I make them, because I do the shopping and I don't drive and walk everywhere and I know my routine of when I'm going to be out next, or what needs to be used up. It has always worked out fine for us.
    I make their lunches while they eat breakfast. I used to do it the night before but here our fridge is too small.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

My 12 year old makes his own now, usually.
    My 5 year old, I make. It is and isn't a surprise. I buy the same/similar things each week/month. Then put items in that he has been eating. If he isn't eating something it keeps going back each day (non-perishable, of course) and eventually I throw it out and don't send more, or he starts to eat it. Other things I send the same thing each day. or every other day. Sometimes I ask what type of sandwich he would want, and switched to soup for a week until he said he wanted sandwiches instead. So, he has an idea of what he will get, but some items may be a surprise.

Expert Forum User

My just turned 8 yr old started making her lunch after the Christmas break this school year. Either DH or I had been doing it up until then but she expressed interest in wanting to do it. I have basically been off/on sick with something since then so it's really helped and she ends up with what she wants to eat that way (I keep healthy stuff and snacks stocked up so that she basically needs to make a sandwich and pick a couple of other things). Our morning routine is also super crazy with all 3 kids being dropped off in different places so it's one thing off my plate!

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

My 6 year old occasionally makes her own lunch with help on the weekend but during the week I, or my husband, make lunches. (I do a month of lunches, then he does a month of lunches). DD and I discuss what she would like for lunch before bed at night and then I make it when she goes to bed and put it in the fridge for morning.