Default what time is good to wake kids up for 9am school?and what advice to help them get up?

i have two little ones in school, a 4 and 6 yr old. Sometimes it is hard to wake them up in the mornings as they don't wake up automatically (unless it gets around 8am, and that is too late to start the morning routine). I try to wake them up at 7am, but I myself have a hard time getting out of bed too :/, so have been waking them up at 7:20ish but it seems so hard to get them out of bed even though I gently try to wake them up. I turn the lights on at first, open the blinds and call their names, give them ample time to stretch and wake up and get themselves out of bed. I try to get them out of their morning funk to be able to make them wake up happy. (when I used to go in with a rush, they would wake up cranky and I don't like to start mornings like that). Sometimes it takes them a while to stretch and get themselves out of bed, other times I have to return to the room and help them get dressed and encourage them to wake up etc and bring them to the bathroom to brush their teeths etc etc.

What time do you wake your kids up at? do they get dressed on their own if you lay out their clothes? do they change themselves? do you have to help them all the way from getting dressed to reminding them to toilet and brush their teeth? I just feel like I am doing so much for these two in the mornings that I rush to make their lunches and get them out the door for school.

I am also going to try to put on kids morning songs to encourage them to wake up excitedly if that might help.

Does anyone have any advice on getting kids up in the mornings?

Can you tell me what your mornings are like?? Time frame wise as well??? TIA!!

I've read all 4 of your posts and all of the things you are asking about are all closely related. It takes a while to come up with a routine that works for your family. Getting kids to bed and up and going in the morning are two of the most stressful things about parenting (in my opinion anyway). Here is what's been working for me. Hopefully you can find a piece or two to help you.

Currently my youngest isn't in school but he is starting to drop his nap in preparation for kindergarten, so I'll write out our routine as it is on days where he doesn't nap. My kids are nearly 4 and 5 1/2 years old.

Evening/Bedtime
    - I have blackout curtains over blinds in both kids' bedrooms. I head upstairs a few minutes before bedtime routine begins and close their blinds/curtains. This way their room is already dark when we go in and they quickly forget that it's still light outside.
    - 4 year old goes to bed at 7:00pm and 5 year old at 7:30pm
    - At 6:40pm we all head upstairs. Get pjs on, brush teeth, go to the bathroom etc.
    - By 6:55pm we head into the youngest's room to read a story. It's his room so the story is his choice. If his older brother is disruptive I tell him he needs to leave the room.
    - 7:00pm hug, kiss, lights out for youngest
    - Head downstairs with 5 year old and we make his lunch together. This gives the youngest time to fall asleep.
    - Head backupstairs with oldest at 7:25pm. One story, kiss, lights out by 7:30.

Morning
    - I wake up around 6:50am but usually don't get out of bed until closer to 7:00am. I hop in the shower. Most mornings one or both of my boys are awake around the same time but lately they've both still been tired and wake up during my shower.
    - We have a deal that if they run downstairs and get dressed while I'm in the shower they will have time to watch 10 minutes of TV after breakfast. Most mornings this is enough motivation and they love to surprise me by being dressed when I come down. They love to race me and surprise me. I started doing that several months ago and it was a game-changer. I don't care if their clothes match so they generally pick out their own clothes. I used to lay them out the night before but don't anymore.
    - Once I get downstairs I get their breakfast ready. They eat while I get ready.
    - Assuming they were cooperative, they have 10 minutes of TV. I let them know about a minute ahead of time when I'm going to pause it so no one freaks out.
    - We all brush teeth together and my oldest uses the toilet (he has a medical condition that requires that he poop every morning before we leave the house.)
    - Then we race again to get boots/coats on etc.
    - We are out the door by 7:50am on most days. Sometimes closer to 8:00am if they sleep in or my oldest struggles in the bathroom

Since implementing this routine, most mornings have been going very well. If we didn't race to do everything, we'd be back to our old mornings which were chaotic and full of tears.
    Good luck to you!
    Last edited by rachbent; 04-04-2016 at 11:57 AM.

I appreciate your reply Rachbent

Expert Forum User

I have 3 boys - 18, 14 and 13 - the youngest is in grade school the older two are in high school.

Our mornings look like this....

6:40 - DH gets up and showers/eats/dresses and leaves the house by 7:10
    7:00 - older boys get up shower/eat/dress/make lunches and leave the house at 7:38 to catch school bus
    7:50 - I get up make tea/shower
    8:00 - I wake up youngest DS
    8:05 - I tell him a second time to get up
    8:10 - I tell him a third time to get up
    8:10 - I'm dressed
    8:20 - I tell him that if he doesn't get up he is going to bed at 7:30 that night and he finally rises (maybe)
    8:20 - I finish off lunches, blow dry my hair, put shoes of choice by the door
    8:30 - kid is up dressed and eating breakfast (oatmeal or bagel and cream cheese - every.single.day.)
    8:40 - kid has brushed teeth and is packing his lunch into backpack
    8:45 - shoes, coats, etc on and out the door

I'm fairly sure that my kids from about grade 1 on, got up, got dressed and fixed their own breakfast every day.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Our school starts at nine am and my kids leave the house about 8:45-8:50.
    My alarm goes off at 7:56 am, if I'm not already up. I just go up and open their doors, call their names, sometimes do something goofy like sing a stupid song or something,
    or make one of their stuffies come up and head boop them or something. If they don't sit up or roll out of bed the light goes on.
    If someone is hard to wake up they know they get an early bedtime that night so it doesn't happen often.
    Mine are 4,8,12.
    My 4 year old I have to help her with shirts. She chooses her pants, underwear herself and puts her pullup in the trash.She's the only one who dresses before she eats, no idea
    why it happens that way.
    So they all eat, then people brush/pee/dress. I do sometimes have to send someone back up because I don't think the ybrushed or because they have no socks on or something.
    But mostly it's only the 12 year old
    Usually my kids have 10 minutes or so to do what they want.
    My youngest doesn't go to school, but we are often leaving the house then too for our errands, so same idea. Still need to be presentable.

While they eat, I make the lunches.
    While they are brushing/dressing, I shower.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

My girls are the same age and we have to leave the house no later than 8:45 ( I drive her to school 5 minutes away). I make sure they are up at 8-8:15. I have their clothes already laid out and I am already dressed and ready. They get up, get dressed, have breakfast while watching a show, then I brush their teeth and do their hair and we are out the door. I just have to slip the already made lunch into her backpack and we are out the door. I have 3 to get out the door 1, 3 and almost 6. My 3 yr old goes to preschool two mornings a week close to my oldest's school, so I drop my oldest off then the middle.

Expert Forum User

i have 2 in school which starts at 8:15 but they are there at 8- 8:10 as i have to be at work at 8:30. i get up at 7 and wake them up right away. half the time my 4 y.o. is already up and watching a show on the ipad. by 7:10 they are both up and eating. i quickly throw their lunches together. make beds, load the dishwasher, etc. we all brush teeth/hair. my 7y.o. get dressed by herself, i help the 4 y.o. and that is often the most frustrating part as she is very particular and out the door at the latest 7:50 7:55they watch a show while they eat, if they don't eat i take the ipad away

I think it depends on the kids, and you just have to figure out what "works" for your kids and your family. I have a friend who's kids stay up late and sleep in until after 9 (but they homeschool). On the other hand... my DD has only slept in past 7am once or twice in her life (she's 9). Typically my kids are up by 6am, 7 days a week!!! They drop into bed by 8:30 at the latest... even at parties, my DD tends to pumpkin by 9pm. LOL.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Typically my kids are up by 6am, 7 days a week!!! They drop into bed by 8:30 at the latest... even at parties, my DD tends to pumpkin by 9pm. LOL.
    LOL - it's funny how this changes. These days DH and I are up first on weekends. Youngest gets up around 10, the other 2 will sleep all day (literally until 4 or 5pm) or until I start vacuuming the hall outside the bedrooms. Youngest goes to bed at 9:30 weekdays, 10-11pm weekends, the other two are "electronic shut off" at midnight weekdays (wifi does this automatically for me), and whatever on the weekends......

It'd be lovely if it changes.... but I don't think it will for us. My DH is an early bird and always has been. I've only seen him sleep past 8 maybe twice in the 12 years we've been together. My daughter is almost 10 so you'd think we'd be hitting at least closer to 7am by now... but nope. LOL. I think some people are just programmed to wake up early.

Expert Forum User

We do 7:30am here, breakfast at 7:45am. They set out clothes the night before so it makes it easier. They catch the bus at 8:40am.

Expert Forum User

My oldest leaves to catch the bus at 7:35 and my youngest is JK and I drop him off about 8am each morning. I wake myself and oldest at 6:45 - he showers and I do makeup, hair, and get dressed. I wake my youngest at 7am. Then I make them a quick breakfast (usually toast/bagel/raison bread/english muffin) and I get him dressed, take lunches from fridge and put in bags and the boys eat and watch tv. I don't eat breakfast and buy a coffee after I drop my youngest off.
    My youngest is pretty easy to wake up, but myself and my oldest are exhausted.