Default Buying Eyeglasses for kids

Took my 4 year old to her first eye doctor appointment and found out she will need glasses. Where are some of the best places to look for kid's eyeglasses. Any advise you can offer to make this transition a good one or any tips I should know? ie making her feel good about eyeglasses or what to look for when buying eyeglasses.

Expert Forum User

Look for a good warranty. Is she in kindergarten? If she just started JK she is eligible for a free pair through the eye see i learn program. We go to Ivision and they have $25 replacement warranty for a complete new pair if they break. They also have 2 for 1. You'll need two pairs in case one is lost or broken. At ivision it was about $300 for two pairs. There are lots of cute options so let her help pick them and we slowly started wearing them, and hour or so at a time. It definitely didn't happen overnight. Good luck.

Expert Forum User

My eight yr old started wearing glasses about 2 years ago. I just bought her three inexpensive pairs off clearly.ca It was a good deal. She keeps one pair in her desk at school, one in her desk at home, and I have the other in my dresser in case a pair breaks.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I would advice against glasses with the nose pieces. DD's glasses have them right now and the pads keep coming off which means every two weeks to a month we are going back to the optometrist for new pads and adjustments.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Just remember, you get what you pay for. The 2 for 1 deals are good but the material they use in the lenses are less than ideal. I am an optometrist assistant and have seen the good and bad about those "deals". Also make sure she always keeps them in her case when not using them and doesnt set them down lenses down or they will scratch. I would suggest nose pads, the plastic ones the only thing really holding them on are the ears, nose pads can be adjusted to fit snug on the nose.
    As for getting her use to them and being ok with the idea, I would get her help in picking them out and make sure they are comfortable. It probably won't take her long to realize she can see better with them on than she will want to wear them
    Good luck!

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

We bought 2 pairs for $300 from our optometrist.

My kid is in sport so he has 2 pairs - one regular and a pair of sport glasses.

Expert Forum User

We get them from our optometrist on Wharncliffe just north of Oxford, Dr's Fenn... and associates.

All the glasses seem to come with a 2 year warranty on the frames and the kids' ones come with a one time free lens replacement if the script changes in 15 months or less (though it may be a certain lens brand only). I also suggest the adjustable nose-piece kind. They stay up better, especially if you get the silicone ones.

I use to get my glasses from the deal places and I always spent more in the long run. Both pair always ended up scratched and unwearable in the first year.

After I went home from our appointment I found out about the I See I Learn program, which our optometrist participates in, but failed to tell us about. Anyway we ended up getting a free pair of eyeglasses through that program. My DD is 4 and she fancied a pair right away. We tried lots on, but in the end, we went with what she picked. She was excited to show her siblings and they loved her new glasses. They were the plastic ones and the optometrist office molded the arms to wrap around her ears. They don't seem to slip and she has done marvelous so far. It has only been 5 days. She has to wear them all day long, as one eye is weaker then the other. She will go back in 3 months to be reassessed. I am undecided if I should purchase another pair now for back up or what to see if her prescription will change in 3 months and then purchase another pair.