Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BabyLove

Thread: what are normal feeding intervals?

Default what are normal feeding intervals?

Ladies,

just wondering what is normal for a 9 week old and the amount of times they eat in the night? we cluster feed between 7pm-12 when she finally goes to bed most nights..then up again at 2, or 3 and then again at 5 or 6 (depends how many hours she goes in between feeds...somtimes 2, 2.5 or 3 hours) is this normal? my friend has 4 kids and she said that all hers were sleeping through the night by this age?!

also, sometime what my dh does is when shes starting to wake (we co-sleep) he puts his arm around her and she goes to sleep and sometimes will fall back asleep for a while and then we feed her...is this a good idea to prolong the feeding so that we can train her to go longer in between feeds and eventually skip one feed in the night?

Expert Forum User

I would just go with the flow and let your baby dictate! Every baby is so different and so is every experience. Do what works best for you and your baby.
    LaLa likes this.

My oldest slept through the night at 8 weeks. My middle was 2 yrs and my 3rd was around 13 months. So really each baby is so different. If you know your baby is hungry then feed her. Sometimes it might be for comfort. Do you give a soother? Sometimes I would try that before I would nurse.

Expert Forum User

None of my kids slept through the night that early... like, not even close. Most nights with a young baby I was up every 1.5-3 hours. Mine however started to sleep a solid 12 fairly early (8, 14 and 9mo).

Babies should not sleep through the night. They wake up due to survival instincts knowing they need to eat
    yes one day it could be comfort feedings but who cares! She's so little still. I wouldn't have high expectations till after a year
    co sleep if it's easier!

Expert Forum User

I wouldn't worry about what other people's babies do/did. Like others have said, every baby is different and their stomachs are so small still so they do have to feed frequently. Baby led feeding is the way to go. It can be a bit frustrating and tiring, but welcome to motherhood! It will get better

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*