Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By one ordinary girl

Thread: Summer camps for the kids

Expert Forum User

Smile Summer camps for the kids

Can you ladies help me narrow down childcare for the summer? We thought we would be able to return to LCC's school program but we can't as we didn't realize they changed their admission for summer programs (that you have to use their childcare during the year in order to use it in the summer).

These are the camps that we know of:
    Summer Camps - East Park Golf Gardens, London Ontario Canada
    summer camp - Boys & Girls Club of London
    Themes and Schedule - - Western University
    Girls LEAD Program | About | Brescia University College
    (We know about the YMCA camps, but will never go back there)

What other summer camps are there?
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

There are the city of London camps, Original Kids camp, Storybook gardens...

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

DD has done the Pearson Summer camp the last 2 years and LOVED it. I usually send her to one camp over the summer. I'm not sure what we're doing this year yet.
    Sunrise likes this.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I really want her to do Girls Lead and a stem camp.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

We do STEM camp, John Hatch Sports Camp, Basketball camp, Dance Camp, Gymnastics camp, church camp, and I hire a babysitter for a week or two to do what my kids call "home camp". Because I work full time I think they often like "home camp" best, where they just hang around the house all day, wear jammies, read, watch movies, play with toys, and walk to the park. I think it gets exhausting for my kids to go to a new camp every week all summer long.

I also know people that do Circle R Ranch camp, Karate Camp, and some overnight camps as well (Forest Cliff Camp, Keemokee, etc)

Expert Forum User

Forest Cliff day camp is good

LDAO Summer Camps ? Learning Disabilities Association of London Region

"As LDA London Regions programs and services are designed for individuals with a primary diagnosis of a learning disability and/or AD/HD. Our guidelines are meant to ensure that programs and services deliver the maximum possible impact in the lives of these individuals. In the event that there is greater demand for an LDA-LR service than staff and volunteers can reasonably provide, LDA London Region will follow these suggested guidelines:

1st consideration to students with a primary LD diagnosis of language, communication and central auditory processing (may also have an AD/HD diagnosis)
    2nd consideration to students with solely an AD/HD diagnosis
    3rd consideration to students with multiple exceptionalities/diagnoses (interview with student and parent required; individualized decision made by Program Coordinator)

"

Expert Forum User

DS went to the Boys and Girls club last year and enjoyed it. I like how you can pick different camps.

Last edited by rachbent; 02-05-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    DD has done the Pearson Summer camp the last 2 years and LOVED it. I usually send her to one camp over the summer. I'm not sure what we're doing this year yet.
    We were looking into the Camps at Pearson. I really love the idea of this, but the camp is only from 9-3 which doesn't even cover a working day.... do they have options for an earlier drop off or late pick up?
    Last edited by Sunrise; 02-07-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I know you said you didn't like the YMCA camps, but I wonder if that was location specific? My oldest went to one a few years ago at Fanshawe conservation off Clarke Rd (it was the opposite end of town and a long drive). It was great because it was outdoors and in a "forest" so there was lots of nature.

Storybook gardens is great for ages 3-8, but I wouldn't recommend for older.

If you are just looking for them to get out of the house a bit, then the city offers free camp from 9-12 or 1-4 (or something similar) from Monday-Thursday, usually with a fieldtrip on Wednesday. There are many locations at schools around the city, offering morning or afternoon depending on age from 6-9 or 9-12. My oldest son went a lot for a few years and preferred them to more organized camps. They just played sports or did colouring or a craft with the 2 staff members and was low-key.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
    We were looking into the Camps at Pearson. I really love the idea of this, but the camp is only from 9-3 which doesn't even cover a working day.... do they have options for an earlier drop off or late pick up?
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so as it wasn't something I ever needed to worry about.

Expert Forum User

DS enjoyed Sport Western. He also brought home a Lego camp & Chess Camp sign up form (can't think of company)
    DD did Kidlets, Original kids at the Market. It was awesome. Last day parents came to see the show with songs they practiced. Older children camp is held at Huron University grounds.

So many options available. Multi-sports camp at Stronach. Some city run school camps are fun, depending on the leaders. March break my children loved CHOCC, swimming and field trips., they can sign up in the summer too. It was very reasonable cost.