Default What helped you through labour?

Hi there, I am due to give birth anytime now, but I am however scared out of my mind even though this is not my first, and it has been a while. I felt ready to take it on, up until now. Kinda thinkin I should have gotten a doula? I don't know. I am a private gal for the most part so I was a little apprehensive with the idea, but now it is too late even if I wanted one. My husband will be there but he really won't know what to do or how to support me unless I tell him what I need/want/don't want etc. Him being with me is a help but I wish someone could advise me perhaps as to what I can do to ease the labour pains. Anyhow, so I am trying to prepare myself and gather any knowledge/advice as to what can help ease labour pains so that I can perhaps go through this more confidently and understandingly.I have tried watching youtube videos.

If you have any advice as to what helped you get through the contractions I would appreciate it. Such as any positions, squatting, going in the shower? or tub? birthing ball? nitrous oxide gas? medications other than the epidural initially? breathing techniques etc. TIA!!
    Last edited by FirstTimeMomIn2009; 02-02-2016 at 10:36 AM.

I have 2 births with an epidural and my last one without (it was too late). For my last one I used the gas, but I didn't find the gas helped but using the mask to make sure I was taking deep breaths did. I find if I didn't let the pain overcome me then I was okay and could manage and this is where the breathing helped. I laboured on my side hugging the side of the hospital bed so I am no help when it came to positions. I wish my midwives would have gotten me in others, I just felt it was taking all I had to breathe through the contractions, I couldn't think of anything else.
    Its hard to say what you will want because I think each labour is different. Even with my last I was in the bathtub because everyone always said how great being in the water was, and yet I didn't like being there, I felt constricted and overheated. Good luck!

Expert Forum User

I found lying on my left side the most comfortable thing. Sitting up or standing was painful. With my first I tried the shower and the ball but the ball hurt to sit on and the shower did seem to speed things up but it was hard walking back to the bed. I basically just laid there in my bed most of the time and breathed through each contraction. I was by myself for most of the time and found that helped me.

My second birth was unmedicated (he came too fast). I found the most relief labouring on my hands and knees. Everyone is different. Don't be afraid to shift around until you find something that works for you. I also found that swearing helped!
    Last edited by rachbent; 02-03-2016 at 08:09 PM.

Expert Forum User

I had all 3 of my kids unmedicated and the labours were all slightly different but around the same amount of time each. Every time I laboured at home for as long as possible. I just felt really monitored in the hospital (with the first two anyway, I had OBs, then the last one was with a MW). For my first and third I was in the tub for as much as possible and the jets in the hospital bathroom were awesome. With my middle baby they wouldn't let me get in the tub b/c they thought I would have her too fast. So that time I was a bit freaked out b/c it helped so much the first time around, but I was very active and used the birthing ball (kneeled on the bed and leaned against it), I also made sure I was going pee frequently (about every half hour).
    I never had a doula but definitely thought about it. With our third we hired a birth photographer who we knew for years and she was really great to talk to and distract me in between contractions. DH is pretty good at knowing what I need/don't need in labour too. I did doula training over the past year and although there's less time to get to know someone, you can still find a doula asap if you really wanted one. There are lots in London that you could likely get a feel for by reading bios on websites, etc. Good luck, I know that I was definitely nervous before my second daughter b/c there were 4 yrs in between and it seemed like forever. You will find your rhythm and get into it during labour though and you'll be amazing.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

In all honesty, with all three kids I sat on the toilet for the most part (until I felt the urge to push). I delivered on my hands and knees for 2 and 3.

It just felt like the right place for me.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My 1st birth was a very unplanned & unexpected (and in my mind, a very unnecessary) section. That was with an OB whom I could not stand! 2nd birth was a completely natural med free labour & birth (VBAC). For the 2nd labour, I squatted for the majority of my labour & I think it really helped bring the baby down & eased the pain. I also did some deep breathing & that really helped as well. My midwife also gave me a shot of sterile water injection into my back. My contractions were the worst on the drive to the hospital & in the elevator at the hospital!