Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By one ordinary girl
  • 1 Post By /wasn't me/
  • 1 Post By Tutumom
  • 2 Post By melissawilliam

Thread: Printing in jk/sk

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Printing in jk/sk

My daugther is 4, didn't do jk, and starts sk in the fall. I'm actually thinking of possibly putting her in jk in the spring p/t to help her get used to school so there's not
    a big long summer of nervous anticipation -- but that's not the point.
    Anyway, I wondered what the kids actually do in class as far as seat work? Printing, in particular.
    I know she can identify her letters in upper case fully, and some lower case, knows her numbers though occasionally if she saw 01 she might say ten at first, or if she sees 15 she'll say fiveteen, but oh well. She knows *most* of the letter's sounds, though a few still throw her off, but again, she's four right.
    What I find though is with her writing she is either awesome at a letter or horrible at it lol
    She does stuff like practice printing, writing in goo or on ipad apps, tracing, etc so it's not for lack of trying -- and I'm sure she'll catch on soon, not worried about that
    just wondered how MUCH of school is sitting and printing at this age.
    I don't think she'll enjoy it if it's much, as that's one thing she only enjoys if it's for a purpose, at this age. Like she's happy to work on letters for a card, or to sign a
    drawing, or to label a gift, but I know she'd be bored and annoyed by having to sit and just do busy work.

How much of their day do you think is that?
    How important is it, how picky are they? Do they make them redo it if it isn't correct?
    Also, do they say upper/lower or capital and small?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

just going to bump this up for you. I can hardly remember JK/SK any more! dd2 is in grade 3. They've changed the curriculum to play based learning since she "graduated" so to speak so I don't know how much they focus on it any more.
    sweetsteps likes this.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

thanks for the bump!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

my youngest is in jk and at our school everything is done with encouragement and choice. the teachers find ways to make the kid think its a great idea to practice letters. my daughter writes her name and other random stuff in her agenda and gets a sticker for it. without sitting, other then circle, they somehow make them learn. if you want to write letters standing up or laying down go for it there is no desks in our classroom except tables for lunch.
    Ingalls likes this.

My daughter is in sk and they have so many fun activities to write letters. Some will be writing it in sand (in a little container), others will be tracing letters with cars, or actually writing it on paper or writing it in shaving cream etc. By the end of JK my daughter could tell all the letters uppercase and lowercase and what sound they made. She could also read 100 sight words that the teacher worked on with them and read simple sentences. That doesn't mean that your daughter has to be there, but that's just where the majority of sk's were at the start of the year.
    Ingalls likes this.

Expert Forum User

Seatwork is not a part of the FDK curriculum. Students may be called over to do some "writing". Stages are scribbling, writing random letters, writing some letters in words, writing actual letters in words (and combinations of these). My son is in JK and mostly writes random letters and scribbling, and sometimes the proper first letter.
    I think the only time he does writing is in a weekly journal, or if he chooses to do a writing center or craft.

Some classes will only do carpet (whole class) learning, and free play, with learning embedded within freeplay. Others have students sign their name when they walk in the room, then choose table top academic centers, then carpet learning, and some free play.

She will NEVER sit and trace a letter like we used to. That is not authentic and will not happen in real life. All learning should try to be authentic. If she wanted to save her lego creation she may be helped to write "don't touch" or might look like (d o t u s) and then put it on, as this would be an authentic reason to learn.
    Ingalls and a_bun_in_the_oven like this.

Expert Forum User

My daughter is in SK, they do not do any seat work. She has started to show some interesting in writing (words from the word wall) -- the teachers are happy with any effort.

She is sent home with weekend home work, where she reads a poem on a letter sound, and then she draws some pictures with those sounds in it. She has now started to write out the words to go along. Eg, this week was SH, so she drew a shell, a sheep and something else that I forget. She wrote out all the words to go along with her pictures. I had been doing it earlier in the year but she's decided she wants to go it.

Expert Forum User

DD is in SK now and everyday she comes home with paper or a book she wrote. It is so cute, seeing her sound out the letters and write how she thinks it is spelled.
    eg. Mos- Moose, Blakits- blankets Pilos- pillows, pody- party
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

Expert Forum User

In JK this year my daughter was taught numbers, writing them and saying them. She can write upper and lower case, and do all of the letter sounds. She does a little bit of patterning. She has started on her sight words as well and can recognize about 5-6 now.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!