Default Child care subsidy - when to apply?

Hello ladies!

I'm 6 months pregnant and single - so looking into options for child care.
    I called the child care subsidy office and the lady said I can apply around 3 months before birth, but I forgot to ask if that was for immediate intake...Does anyone know if I can apply now for after my mat leave?

Thanks

Expert Forum User

I actually forget when I applied my 2nd time, but I know I didn't apply during pregnancy. I would call and find out for sure, and they may be able to tell you their waitlist times based on your 2015 income (if you have an idea of your net 2015 income). If you are low income (under about $26,000 net), then it may take about 4 months to kick in. If you are on OW then it will have an immediate start. If you make more money then it could be a longer wait. I know I listed that I wanted it for September of that year and that is when it started.
    You do have to list and prove your schooling or work and that it is full-time or tell what part-time hours you work. Or the hours you could be scheduled - a couple summers ago I had a 2nd job (cashier) and dropped to part-time daycare and listed I was available to work 3 specific days, so even if they didn't book me I had daycare those days. If you don't know what school/job you are going back to then you will not be able to apply yet.

Make sure you are putting yourself on daycare waitlists though, as they tend to be very long for infants (birth-18 months).

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    I actually forget when I applied my 2nd time, but I know I didn't apply during pregnancy. I would call and find out for sure, and they may be able to tell you their waitlist times based on your 2015 income (if you have an idea of your net 2015 income). If you are low income (under about $26,000 net), then it may take about 4 months to kick in. If you are on OW then it will have an immediate start. If you make more money then it could be a longer wait. I know I listed that I wanted it for September of that year and that is when it started.
    You do have to list and prove your schooling or work and that it is full-time or tell what part-time hours you work. Or the hours you could be scheduled - a couple summers ago I had a 2nd job (cashier) and dropped to part-time daycare and listed I was available to work 3 specific days, so even if they didn't book me I had daycare those days. If you don't know what school/job you are going back to then you will not be able to apply yet.

Make sure you are putting yourself on daycare waitlists though, as they tend to be very long for infants (birth-18 months).
    Thanks so much for all the information!!
    .Struggling to find time to call as their office hours fall during my work hours and no response to emails, but i will have to find the time soon.

I'm already on nursery wait lists. I'm a little above the low income line so i guess i shouldnt take a chance!

Thanks