Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Help my speckled kid!

Ok so three weeks back, dd had a cold and sore throat so I took her to the doctor. She had a bit of an ear infection but her throat looked fine, so they put her on antibiotics. Said it's probably
    viral anyway, but just in case. She finished those on a Tuesday. Then on the Friday she broke out in hives. They responded to benadryl (thanks CMR78 for that!) and so I figured she was fine
    but they got worse and kept reappearing so i took her to the doctor's on Sunday. He listend to her breathing (she has this persistent weird little cough), said she's totally clear and fine, throat likely just irritated from the cold she had etc. Said her hives are an allergic reaction adn we'll probably never know to what, etc.
    So he recomended Aerius, we used it, they did respond though much more slowly than Benadryl.
    This continued with dosing everytime they returned for a few days. Then she had none for two days. Yesterday they reappeared, but went away quickly with medicine. Today she broke out huge and there's more than ever, in new places like her face and ears now.
    They are not chicken pox.
    They're definitely hives.
    But what the hell is she allergic to?!

I thought it might be a suede coat she had worn the night before she broke out, so I washed it and she hasn't worn it since.
    I also washed all her bedding after the diagnosis of hives in case it was something in her bedding somehow.

The only thing I can think of that it could be is an allergy to mildew? Because I had put a vapourizer in her room for a few nights, and she broke out the third night of that. maybe the dampness brought mildew to the surface in the walls or something? I don't SEE any but it did smell a bit odd in there so I aired the room out and didn't use it again.
    And then I opened a bag of barbie clothes I bought at goodwill and they all smelled mildewy. My youngest went to walk into a room so I hid them fast, in a plastic bag on the couch and forgot to throw them out. The second breakout (yesterday) dd was sitting beside that bag, so I thought maybe it's that? But today i don't know that there's any mildew around her

I'm worried about taking her to the nursing home to see g.gramma like this, like iv'e been told it's an allergy so not contagious but will they think I'm lying?
    and also....what the hell is she allergic to?!
    I hope she hasn't developed a cat or dog allergy we hvae lots of pets.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

It may be the mildew or perhaps it is the antibiotics she is on? I hate to admit this but I have been suffering from hives off & on since the age of 13. I do have several allergies to stuff outside (trees, ragweed, flowers, dust), as well as cats but the allergist I see says mine are Idiopathic in nature (meaning he does not know the exact cause). I don't know what to suggest to you. I find Benadryl spray works well, as do the Benadryl pills (but they make me sleepy). I am also on a daily prescription strength allergy pill. I went for allergy shots for 8 straight years but I am still allergic to everything I had the shots for, so I never became fully immune. I think I'd be apt to make an appointment with your own family Dr & tell him you want him to put a referral in to an allergist (that can take a long time btw-like 1 year or so). Hives suck believe me, so I feel for her Best of luck to you guys!
    Also, have you introduced any new foods? It may be a food.

LOL 2boysmom my daughter is super picky about food so there's no chance she ate something new
    i'm sorry you have to deal with them so much! wow.
    When we were there last time the doctor was like well, we could send her for testing, but unless she's allergic to one of the 18 main allergens, it won't tell us anything. Unless you suspect something specific, then we can test for that specifically.
    So maybe he will send her now because of the mildew suspicion eh.

She hasn't been on the antibiotics since like, dec.8th I think it is? plus the dr said that hives from a drug allergy look different.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

The summer I was about 20, I suddenly ended up with hives. I went to work outside in long sleeve shirts because it looked like someone attacked me with a cigarette and led to too many questions when I wore short sleeves. It would get worse, then better, then worse, then better.
    It went away by the end of summer. I don't really remember how long I had them, but maybe 2-3 months (I was in university so summer was May-August)

I went to allergy testing, which seemed to be a complete joke and told me nothing at all, and found I have a mild allergy to everything in the world except coconut and chicken?!?!?

I had gone swimming the day before in a lake, and had initially thought it was caused by that.

I had tried taking different allergen medications, but didn't find much difference so just stopped trying to do anything different.

Benedryl is a fast acting medication for allergens.
    Aerius/claritin/etc. have a bit of a fast release and last 24 hours, but really they build in your system, so for best results you have to take daily for a week or so before you can see the real results.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 12-26-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Ah I didn't realise the Aerius was like that. It does explain why it seems to work a lot less than the Benadryl.

The spots still keep coming back. Poor kid.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

Would you consider natural allergy testing? We have used it a couple times successfully (once it did take two appointments to completely heal it but his dairy allergy is gone, his poop is solid instead of runny like it had been for the last 5 years and he no longer complains of a tummy ache).
    This is where we go, and she tests a lot of things! No pricks or anything required. Not sure how old your child is, but mine was only 5 when I brought him. Avery's Health & Wellness, BIE Practitioner and Holistic Nutritionist It can take a month to get in though sometimes. First appointment is $140ish, after that is $60 IF it is needed, but my first son old needed one appointment.

I've never heard of that, I'll look into it. Today so far she's spot free, I'm anazlying everything to figure out what the difference may be lol I can't figure out any difference in her routine or exposure
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

It's the antibiotics... My oldest was on biaxin and had hives for almost 2 weeks after. Google the name of the antibiotics with the word hives a whole bunch of people will have had the same reaction. I bought my daughter some very expensive probiotic yogurt from the superstore organic section and made her drink it for 2-3 weeks twice a day. It's bubbly and weird. I had hives a few days ago from a cold virus

The doctor said it didn't look like the hives people typically get from amoxicillin?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

I had strep throat as a teenager and at the same time mononucleosis. I was given an antibiotic before they knew of the mono and I remember being told their is a chance I will get an allergic reaction/hives because of that. Well I did... over my entire body. Took a couple weeks to completely disappear. I don't remember much since it was so long ago but thought I would share my experience.

Thanks for sharing. Pretty sure she doesn't have mono -- I remember being tested for it twice as a kid, when I got this weird sleeping illness where I'd be fevered and hallucinating and sleeping 22 hours a day for a couple weeks....she hasn't had a fever, has only been sleepy if she's on benadryl. But, she's had a lot of pains lately so I'm calling the dr in the morning.
    Her knees often give her pain, causing her to wake screaming in the night, and he says it's growing pains.
    But lately her feet are causing her bad pain too, and I don't know if she has heel spurs maybe? or if it might be somethign else.
    Also, her hand keeps falling asleep suddenly, which I find odd.

And, she gets winded really easily, which isn't like her. Like, she will run up the stairs, and be winded. She's not an athletic kid or anything, but normally can jump on a trampoline for an hour and think nothing of it, or run up and down the stairs chasing siblings without issue, y'know? So that worries me. Called today but he's closed today.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

you said you have lots of pets....what kind of pets? My daughter is 14 and has 2 pet rats for almost 2 years. In October she suddenly developed a HORRIBLE case of hives. Never had them before. After much investigation I think I found out the problem. There is an allergen that is released in rat urine that gets stronger as the rates get older, and people become more sensitive to it, as they become more and more exposed to it. We removed the rats from her room and things got better, but the hives did not entirely go away. I totally cleaned her room, all bedding washed, all clothing washed and opened her window for days. Rats were relocated to another room entirely and her hives again improved, but not gone totally. We had to know for sure, so a friend of mine has taken the rats for a few months so we can see if they were the issue. She also had another problem, which is so weird because you mentioned it in your last post, about your daughter getting winded. My daughter has been hyperventilating after extreme cardio situations. Last May she had one episode, then she had quite a few difficult times this fall with hyperventilating during gym class. Normally my daughter is VERY active and fit and breathing has never been an issue. From what I read, the allergen in rat urine can cause hives and respiratory issues. Let me know if you guys do have rats, and I`ll find the articles for you.

We have four cats and two dogs and one fish.
    No rats, and I'd be surprised if there are any mice lurking around her room with four cats on site. I wonder if the same sort of thing happens in cats' urine as they get older? Because our one male cat is getting quite old. He only pees in the box but it is upstairs, same level as her bedroom. Well not 'quite old', but older. Like I would guess he is seven or eight.
    Our female dog is considered a senior, she's the same age, but having been a breeder in a puppy mill before her rescue, she apparently ages faster and stuff.
    I will have to google and see if there's anything to that.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Hives can often be caused by a virus. It's what I've been told.

DD2 was on amox once and her entire body peeled, she was puffy and red like a tomatoe. We could barely touch her or it caused her to be in pain. Doc said it was nothing just a virus. The next doc said impetageo ( sp??) The next was oh it's likely a virus. 3-4 Docs had NO idea what was casuing it. ( she was 10 months old) I talked to a pharmacist and he told me to NEVER give her any penicillin EVER again as she was actually having a very severe reaction to the meds. Like she could have died reaction.

So I wouldn't necessarily rule out a reaction to the meds. As for the allergy pills give them to her for a few days in a row. See if it helps. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.