Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default baby monitors - when did you stop?

Since we don't sleep on the same floor as our kids, we have a baby monitor in our youngest's bedroom still, and she's four. It is on its last legs, being eight years old and all,
    and I was debating buying a new one or not. I probably will because I will sleep better knowing I can hear her if need be, but just curious when you stopped using a monitor in
    your kids' rooms. Or if you did at all.

My other kids it just happened that each one was around four when the next was born so that's when I stopped using a monitor in their rooms, but I was on the same floor of the
    house as them then.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Mine is 4, but we sleep on the same floor. I haven't used one in a couple years. When we sleep at my parents (usually 2 weeks in summer and a week over holidays, and some weekends) he is on the 2nd floor and I am in the basement. If he wakes up early he comes down the 2 flights of stairs and gets me. This has never been an an issue.

Expert Forum User

We stopped around 2.5-3 whenever I felt completely comfortable with them using the stairs by themselves at night.

Expert Forum User

How often have you needed to respond in the past 6 months? I think this answer will tell you if you 'need one'. But, like many things with parenting follow your gut, do what makes you most comfortable.

For what it's worth, we still have one in our 6yo's room because we can't hear her when we are downstairs before we go to bed. We have needed it for the odd time she has been sick. It will stay there until she wants it gone or it doesn't work anymore.

Mine's 10 months and we don't use ours. I can hear her when she wakes from naps even if I am not on the same floor and at night we have no problem hearing her. We don't see the use. We did use it in the summer if we were in the back yard with the others though.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well, if she needs to pee she usually calls for me, or if she has a bad dream, or she can't find Teddy...that kind of thing. Sometimes she calls me up to ask if it's ok to get up yet, because she
    knows the sun comes up before time to get up some days, and if I tuck her back in with some songs she'll sleep another two hours usually.
    Last night she wet the bed, first time since she potty trained this fall, and was heartbroken...kinda wouldn't have wanted her traipsing down carpeted stairs, twice, to come get me in soggy pj's.
    Yeah I think it's worth reinvesting. Thanks Pom!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc