Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By smelltheroses
  • 2 Post By mum-to-a&m

Thread: Growing pains? (but in the knees)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Growing pains? (but in the knees)

DD is 8 and she's been getting almost nightly growing pains. At least, that's what the doctor told us last time we went in about her knee pains. He did say though, if they
    became more frequent, to come back, so I will be calling him tomorrow as they've been quite consistent lately. At first I thought maybe I broke her by taking her jogging,
    but that was over a week ago and she's woken crying atl east five nights since then.
    DH insists they're growing pains because he had growing pains, but his were like the calf muscle would tighten in excruciating pain, not the KNEE so I'm starting to wonder.

Anybody had a kid with persistent knee pain? It does hurt her sometimes in the day, too, but usually only in gym class.

Usually it's night.

I'm going to look for a heating pad tomorrow to try that. She takes Advil right now if it happens, that's all we know to do.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

my dd has problems with her knee. She has something called Sinding Larsen Johanssen Syndrome. Sinding-Larsen-Johansson Syndrome She has trouble walking down stairs, pain when running and sometimes walking. It's common in girls who are involved with lots of running and jumping sports. She wears a knee brace now when she plays sports and usually in gym class too.

I'm not saying it's what your dd is experiencing but thought I'd share what my dd has. Her knee is often very swollen and and painful to touch too. She has an extra piece of bone on her knee cap that the patella band rubs on and it in turn irritates the growth plate. As her physiotherapist said she's got a broken knee cap that isn't actually broken but it mimics one. Ice, stretching ( physio ) advil etc... are ways we handle the issue as well as rest.

Definitely go back to the doctors to see what's going on. I didn't take my dd for months ( talk about mommy guilt when I learned she really had something going on) as she was always complaining about something hurting. Good Luck

edited to add another common knee problem Osgood Schlatter Disease. http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitn...RelatedArticle
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 11-23-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Oh and my dd is 8 ( almost 9) Started complaining back in February was diagnosed this past June.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I have an amazing solution for growing pains... Try going to a health food store near you (S & H in white oaks mall sells it!) its called "Natural Calm" - Magnesium and Calcium supplement! It will do WONDERS for your daughters growing pains... many children who suffer with growing pains are in fact magnesium deficient... this is a VERY safe product you can google it. It works fantastic for my nephews growing pains (he is 4) and it has been safe and effective for him! Hope this can give your daughter some much needed relief!
    SpringChicks likes this.

Thank you, I will look for that! I moved so I'm not near White Oaks now but there' s a health food store in the nearest plaza I know.
    Thanks!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

My daughter is 10 and has the same thing, mostly her knees.. She has them often. Interesting.

My dd also has flat feet. We aren't doing orthotics yet but that might be something to think about.

oh I hadn't thought of that! I have flat feet, and it never caused me any issue although around age twenty five I got heel spurs and my feet got worse adn worse from there. BUt, combining her dad's genetics which tell her body be tall! be tall! be tall! with MY genes that say Be short, and have flat feet! may not be a good combo for pain. Hmm.
    I looked at Natural Calm today and it was thirty five bucks so I'm going to talk to the dr. first before investing that.
    I might have him look at her feet too -- she also has this one knee that I've always thought looks wrong. It's obvious to me in her gait and when she stands and I've pointed it out to doctors when she
    was little and they dismissed it as 'oh jsut from being scrunched up in the womb' or 'she'll grow out of it' etc and i haven ot brought it up past about age five as I didn't want her to get a complex abou
    it, but now 'm thinking hey, maybe that knee is screwing something up?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Expert Forum User

My daughter had an xray today and was dignosed with osgood schlatter disease, which is common in kids during growth spurts. You could ask the dr about that?
    Ingalls and one ordinary girl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mum-to-a&m View Post
    My daughter had an xray today and was dignosed with osgood schlatter disease, which is common in kids during growth spurts. You could ask the dr about that?
    Did they recommend a knee brace at all? The one dd wears works pretty good. We got it at the fowler clinic worth the $54.00

Expert Forum User

We haven't talked to the doctor yet, the x-ray tech just showed us the xray. We're waiting for the doctor to let us know. I assume a brace would be helpful.

Expert Forum User

Ask to be referred to a pediatric rheumatologist if it keeps up. Especially with the pain during the day. If there is any swelling, then definatly ask for a referral, there should not be any swelling with growing pains.