Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Carol
  • 4 Post By IsisBaily

Thread: Past Due.

Expert Forum User

Default Past Due.

I'm 41 weeks pregnant, 2cm dilated and 50% effaced.
    Cramping on and off for weeks but nothing significant.
    Scheduled for stress-test and then induction early Nov.

I was induced with my first at 41+1, had my second at 40+5, my third at 39, this is my fourth and I'd like to go into labor on my own as this is our last baby.

I guess I'm just looking for other stories from women who were painfully overdue and were able to have the birthing experience they'd hoped for.

I'm also feeling quite nervous about actually giving birth again, I still remember how painful my last birth was - so birthing stories that are really uneventful may be helpful too. I don't wish to get an epidural.

Expert Forum User

Never been painfully overdue but I'm pretty sure you baby doesn't have a calendar in there

I have a very boring birth story.

Woke up, went to the bathroom, noticed some contractions. Went to the hospital, sat on the toilet for a couple hours, hubby rubbed my back during the contractions, got on my hands and knees on the bed and the baby snuck out 1st or 2nd push (after 10 minutes of don't push). No epi, minimal tearing. Spent a grand total of 5-6 hours at the hospital, just long enough that I got stuck paying the daily max. Felt 100% at 5 days PP.

Expert Forum User

I meant painfully overdue in the literal sense.
    I've been in a lot of pain since somewhere around the end of August, and have been experiencing a loss of use to my legs - likely caused by the baby lying on a nerve. Makes life interesting.

I'm really in need of a pep talk at this point - I'm having a lot of anxiety about this birth.

hey! My 1st daughter was over due by 10 days! She came on her own when she was ready! No methods worked to get her moving... and to this day she does things at her own pace So hang in there! All the best!

Expert Forum User

I was 41w6d, when I went into labour.
    I was booked to be induced that day. Our plan was to break my water. Since you are more than 1cm dilated your water can be broken by your ob/mw. We then planned on letting me wait for a few hours for labour to start on its own. MW predicted this would be enough for me to go into labour "naturally", without real medical intervention.

What ended up happening, was that I woke up with contractions every 8 minutes, and started bleeding at 1pm, spoke to MW and planned to go to hospital soon. The hospital called me at 4pm with a room ready and we went in, without actually needing to be induced.

Nothing I did made him come earlier. I even went on a bumpy horse-drawn wagon ride and walked around the maple syrup place at exactly 41 weeks.

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. The end with my second d was horrible, I had contractions from 23 wks a was on bed rest. The birth could not happen fast enough. I ended up having my water broken a within 4 hours was in very active labour. Labour was labour, not fun but not bad and baby was born on the second push. No tears and I left the hospital 3 hours later, was at walmart that evening buying necessities with no pain or soreness. It was honestly the 'give birth in a field an get back to work' types of birth. If my pregnancies weren't so complicated and if number 1 wasn't so traumatic I would keep having babies

Just think in less than 1 week you will be holding a little squish! If you could make it this far being so uncomfortable less than 1 week to go is doable. FX little one decides today is a perfect birthday!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by LaLa View Post
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. The end with my second d was horrible, I had contractions from 23 wks a was on bed rest. The birth could not happen fast enough. I ended up having my water broken a within 4 hours was in very active labour. Labour was labour, not fun but not bad and baby was born on the second push. No tears and I left the hospital 3 hours later, was at walmart that evening buying necessities with no pain or soreness. It was honestly the 'give birth in a field an get back to work' types of birth. If my pregnancies weren't so complicated and if number 1 wasn't so traumatic I would keep having babies

Just think in less than 1 week you will be holding a little squish! If you could make it this far being so uncomfortable less than 1 week to go is doable. FX little one decides today is a perfect birthday!

yea I was put on bed rest too after an incident where I lost the use of my legs at the bottom of a set of stairs and it took 1.5 hours to get me back up them and onto the couch because I had insane pain from pressure. I had already previously been advised to take it easy, but I guess I wasn't going 'easy' enough because I had a lot of trouble with the same sort of thing after that incident.

Doctor included, everyone thought I'd go early without a doubt. Now? well I guess this babe had a point to prove.

Expert Forum User

Go for a massage. I had one after work the day before labour with DD2 and then had her the next morning before noon. With DS which was my third, I had a massage on the Sat. morning and had him the next Tuesday morning.
    My births were really standard. I hung out in the tub with DD1, laboured at home forever until contractions were bouncing around but fairly close at 2-3 mins apart. Got to the hospital and was 7cm and had her 45 mins later.
    DD2 I went into labour at around 5:30am and I was only a bit nervous about waiting to drop DD1 off at daycare b/c we had to wait until they opened at 7am. We lived in Pickering so we were in rush hour traffic to Markham but luckily took the back way and got there fine. Was 6cm when I was checked so they wouldn't let me in the tub which kind of freaked me out as that is my "calm zone" during labour (they only have one tub in the whole birth unit!!). I did other stuff though like hands and knees on the hospital bed and then leaning on the birth ball. I don't love being still during labour so I still walked a bit in the room and went to the bathroom probably every half hour to help with gravity and such.
    With DS I was super calm, went into labour at about 2:20am, had a shower. After the in-laws got here to be with the girls we headed off to the hospital around 6:30am. I was 7cm and then my midwife got the tub started. Hung out there until I felt pressure and got out and had him by 9am.
    No epidural with any of them. Focusing on breathing and counting during contractions were my go to's (other than being in the water).
    Have you considered hiring a doula? And no, I'm not trying to get myself business, I just think that there may be a lot of value in having one there for you during this birth. There are many who will do a sliding scale for fees. GL!

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

We had hired a doula and then decided to let her go as I will already have a room full of people with me.

Expert Forum User

Oh ok, that must have been a tough decision. I hope all goes well!

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I alway go over due too. As a pep talk...my last was my best birth. I had some rough times thrown at me in previous pregnancies/labours and this one was like a gift and a perfect way to say goodbye to that part of my life. Never wanted to go through it again after that experience and thinking of it still makes me smile. He was born at home, surrounded by all the people I love, labour was smooth and familiar...sigh.
    If this is your last, try not to be nervous and go in with the attitude that this IS the last time you will experience birth and you want to make the most of it. Don't worry about going late, it's the last time you will ever be pregnant right? Don't rush because you will miss it a little some days.
    strongmommy likes this.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Both my kids came early. I hope your LO decides to arrive soon good luck
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

41+5 today... Kiddo is being evicted tomorrow(ish).