Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hopscotch
  • 1 Post By Mama_J

Thread: Hello!

Red face Hello!

Just wanted to introduce myself as we'll be moving to London next month from Vancouver with husband and our 3 year old daughter. We're both from Ontario originally, but have been out West for over 7 years! We still haven't finalized day cares yet, so if anyone has great things to say about any in particular (or horror stories), I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.
    Looking forward to setting up shop and meeting some new mom/parent friends.

Expert Forum User

Welcome! I have 3 & 7 year old girls and a 16 month old boy.
    We have normally gone with home daycares in the past in London but we recently went to a few tours when we were trying to decide on a p/t space for our 3 year old and some of the London Bridge locations are really nice. I looked at London Day Nursery and Elmwood, both were nice but we would have went with Elmwood b/c of the neighbourhood (it's in Wortley Village), close to a library and small parks and they do take the kids for walks.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

Welcome!

Expert Forum User

I loved Western Daycare on Emery (just off Wharncliffe South). They have 2 rooms for 3 year olds, so everything is geared to the specific age of the children. They run a program similar to full-day kindergarten. It was very play-based, child-led, inquiry-based program. My son loved it there, and just started JK last month.

You will want to know where you will be living and working before choosing a daycare location for sure, but you can go online and register at all daycares you are interested in.

We found it helpful to find care that operated out of a school (I think YMCA has programs that do this and so do London Children's Connection). It made for a nice transition to school to be moving from the daycare to the classroom next door. Agree that it makes the most sense to find out where you will be living and working, and figure out what school your daughter will be going to when she starts school.... then look for care.

Thanks everyone for the posts and recommendations. We toured a few London Bridge locations and Western daycare back in the summer when we were visiting. Glad neither have terrible reputations! Looking forward to getting to know some of you better!
    SpringChicks likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If you're interested in home daycare, my good friend across the way, in NW London, does home daycare and may have an opening. Her daycare kids get treated like family. Like, sometimes it's an
    outing to the park, sometimes you have to stop at a bank, sometimes you go to a playgroup -- but you always get outdoor time, good meals, love, and fun
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Thanks Ingalls. I think we're leaning towards a center only because this is what we have her in now and she's really enjoying it. We'll be right around that area though, so I'll keep it in the back of my mind in case. In-home providers can be so awesome - we had her with one at first and she loved having so much attention

Welcome! We moved here from Toronto a couple years ago!
    Not as far as you but it's always a change.

I have a 3 year old daughter and 1 year old daughter!
    hopscotch likes this.

Nice to met u and welcome!