Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sittingpretty

Thread: diaper pails

Default diaper pails

did everyone find diaper pails a necessity? what are ones you liked? i have one on my registry but dh thinks we might need one that has a wide opening for easier use to throw in poopy ones...suggestions?

this is the one i have on there....
    Babies R Us - Deluxe Diaper Pail Diaper Disposal System - Babies R Us - Babies"R"Us

Expert Forum User

I've used a diaper champ and a diaper genie -- but time and time again I just end up with a regular $4 pail next to our change table. We leave the pee ones, but as soon as we get a poo diaper the whole bag goes to the garage. Baby is older however then a newborn, and generally poops 2x a day. With a newborn I figure it wouldn't get too foul provided you take out the trash regularly.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Had one for my first. Used it til the insert was empty, never refilled it...
    I don't see the point, honestly.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Save your money and get a garbage can with a lid and thingy that you step on to lift the lid. Im not saying it to be snarky but alot of those baby thinys are just money grabs

My babies were babies awhile ago but I remember my diaper pail being very necessary! Those diapers are stinky! Unless you are diligent and empty your garbage bag a few times a day... get a diaper pail! I had diaper genie and thought it worked better than another one I had first (it may have been a safety first brand). I am not sure what they have out there these days or if there are other options, but I recommend one.

I love the diaper genie. It was a must for us because it had no smwll. Unless u take out garbage everyday urine is just as stinky.

When they peed, I'd just roll the diaper up tightly and secure it with the velcro on it. There was no smell after that unless it was a super overflowing diaper (which ours weren't ever since my babies
    didn't 'sleep all night' like some), or unless maybei f you left it to sit for weeks it might smell? maybe?
    Poop ones, if it was a solid I'd dump it in a toilet and roll it up same as a pee one, if it wasn't, I'd put it in a plastic bag, tie it, drop it in the bathroom garbage. Simple.
    I used the biodegradable bags you can buy, for my last two kids, they're sold to be for your green bin liner I think (not that london has green bins) but I felt a tiny bit better about
    the plastic usage that way.
    But diaper pails use a shitload of plastic anyway lol so those users can't judge
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
    When they peed, I'd just roll the diaper up tightly and secure it with the velcro on it. There was no smell after that unless it was a super overflowing diaper (which ours weren't ever since my babies
    didn't 'sleep all night' like some), or unless maybei f you left it to sit for weeks it might smell? maybe?
    Poop ones, if it was a solid I'd dump it in a toilet and roll it up same as a pee one, if it wasn't, I'd put it in a plastic bag, tie it, drop it in the bathroom garbage. Simple.
    I used the biodegradable bags you can buy, for my last two kids, they're sold to be for your green bin liner I think (not that london has green bins) but I felt a tiny bit better about
    the plastic usage that way.
    But diaper pails use a shitload of plastic anyway lol so those users can't judge
    We would wrap the diapers up and they would still smell within minutes. I have a very sensitive nose and can tell by the smell that a child peed, I don't even need to 'check' the diaper. Even now we use a regular garbage and empty everyday but u can definitely smell th urine.
    One thing to consider is if you are going to breastfeed babies can poo with every feed. My oldest pooped up to 20x a day at t beginning. Th diaper genie helped for that because I didn't constantly have to empty it o these tiny diapers. It held like a weeks worth of newborn. As baby got bigger we used less and less diapers and they took more an more room up in the diaper genie. I like a really clean house so any smell really bothers me, and this way we never dealt with a smell.
    If ur not as annoying about smell as I am I can see how you may not need one, but otherwise it's worth it. The replacements are less $ at Costco and last a long time, I think we go thru 3 replacements at $20 in 6 months.
    I ur looking for cost savings get a diaper genie off kijiji or a yard sale. They are usually really cheap and if you bleach it it should be great. The diapers don't touch the actual unit anyways just thr bags.

I also used vinyl wall stickers to decorate it. It matched the nursery at first and then my main floor