Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By picturethis??

Thread: Math Games?

Default Math Games?

My DS who is in grade 5 is in some desperate need of something to help him with math. I don't think he has really picked up any of the basic concepts at all and is IMO at a grade 2 math level...So my husband and I decided he needs to give the minecraft a major break and start getting him playing some computer math games..... So hit me with your favs!!!

TIA and please tell me that I'm not the only one with this struggle!!!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

there is a website called prodigy. My girls both have accounts. https://www.prodigygame.com/?utm_exp...w.google.ca%2F

their schools got them set up to start. My youngest is 8 and really enjoys playing on the website.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

My girls play prodigy as well. They even use it in school. There is also Mathletics that our school uses in grade 5 I believe... not sure if this is just for school groups though.
    Mathletics.com - Love Learning - USA's Number 1 Math Website

Expert Forum User

You can pay for a membership on Mathletics. Our school pays for the program but I know you can buy an individual one too. My kid loves the program. You can play independently or you can challenge kids around the world. Maybe ask your child's teacher?

These are great sites. Thank you! I put him on the prodigy one, he loves it. I hope this helps...
    one ordinary girl likes this.

Expert Forum User

Prodigy is good and free, mathletics and sumdog are great but cost money.

If you remember WAR with cards when you were younger then you can play this. Deck gets split in half and given to each player (or thirds/quarters for 3/4 players). Each player puts top card down and highest wins both cards. If tie, put down 3 more cards upside down and then a new card. The highest of the 2 new cards wins all cards.

If you use face cards then Joker=1, Jack=11, Queen=12, King=13, Ace=14.

ADDITION - both players put their top 2 cards, then add them together and highest SUM wins.

SUBTRACTION - both players put their top 2 cards, then subtract them and highest DIFFERENCE wins (can make the rule that big card subtracts small, or that 1st card subtracts 2nd which could lead to negatives)

MULTIPLICATION - both players put their top 2 cards, then multiply them and highest PRODUCT wins

FRACTIONS - both players put their top 2 cards and biggest fraction wins - this can be down with smallest on top (numerator) and biggest on bottom (denominator) - always comparing proper fractions, or with 1st card on top and 2nd on bottom - can compare proper vs improper fractions.

If you have an old monopoly board game or find a used one then this is great for adding and subtracting large amounts of money, and taxes is adding all money and then finding 10% of it. I haven't seen the real monopoly game in stores lately, only the one with a calculator that keeps track of your money for you.