Default wipes and diapers

Wipes---should i ask for smaller amounts of wipes for my registry bc baby might have a reaction to a certain brand? then i would be stuck with a huge box of wipes that would be no good to me.....?

also, diapers...i should ask for smaller amounts of diapers for new borns and the next size up (which is what?) bc they grow so fast and each kid is different in size?

My children have never had reactions to any wipes and we have used Pampers, Huggies, Costco brand and walmart brand. I prefer Huggies though and buy the big boxes at Costco. My kids never wore newborn diapers past a week and they were all over 8 lbs. We just went to size 1. So I would buy a bag of newborns and if you need more you can always go grab some. We went through 1's and 2's fairly fast and have been on size 3's since around 6 months. I remember my other 2 being in 3's for a long time too. My oldest only made it to size 4's and my middle did make it to 5's.

I should add that I always move up my girls before they reach the weight limit because they would tend to have blow-outs.

Expert Forum User

Diapers are pretty interesting. My oldest was in newborns until 2mo (she was 5.5lbs at birth) - my middle was in for maybe 2 weeks and my youngest maybe 4-5 weeks (failure to thrive).
    Don't be afraid to stock up as you'll go through more then you think you would.

We have also had no issues with wipes. I do notice even with my youngest, while it's not consistant she is more prone to diaper rash in huggies, and a rash might linger longer...

Fit wise, huggies did not fit any of my girls as newborns, but fit well once they were in size 3-4-5 (especially the 2 with a bit more junk in the trunk).

Expert Forum User

My boys never fit into newborn diapers, so I would only ask for size 1-3. The nurses would have to go searching for the size 1's so they could put them into diapers. I do recommend bringing your own size 1s to the hospital just in case the newborn size doesn't fit.

id just buy a very small package of newborns and than a large box of size 1 (they don't stay in newborns long at all!)

As for wipes I would make sure to get NON scented. wipes... the scented ones cause irritation I found

Expert Forum User

we went thru a ton on newborns... my girls were 8 lbs each. and we went thru 13-15 diapers a day. so that's like a pack of newborns in 2 days

With each of my children, we only ever used one pack of newborns because they grew so quickly that, by a few days to a week, they would move up to size 1. I agree about the unscented wipes. I also found 'thick sensitive' to work best - PC or Pampers - as I could use one of these wipes when I would need two of the regular/thin.