Question speech development

how much was your 3 year old saying at this age? speaking full sentences? wondering if my son is speaking enough. He will say small phrases like im hungry mommy, like 3 little words.. but sometimes he gets so excited and spews out a whole bunch of words and I cant make a sentence out of it. what was your 3 year old saying at this age?

My 3 year old says everything. We have full conversations
    she even has humor and sarcasm already but my friends son is the exact same age and I can't understand what he's saying
    every kid is different
    I heard there's no need to worry till 4 or 5

It also depends on what end of 3 he is. If he just turned 3, then his speech, clarity, and vocabulary may be way different than 3 1/2 or closer to 4

Expert Forum User

After 18 months, I started asking now that I got him talking how to get him to stop, lol. He is now 4.5 and I haven't figured out how to get him to stop yet!

Just make sure you are constantly talking to him. When you get groceries just talk the entire time, unless he is wanting to talk. Also, ask questions all the time that involve him having to use his words rather than just point. If he points at the cereal - ask "the red one or the orange one?" of "the tiger one or the X one"? wait for him to answer. Explain everything, what you are buying, how you compare prices, how you choose, etc. etc. Whenever he says something with 3 words, repeat it back as 4 or so words.

I'm hungry, mommy. Repeat back: You are hungry for a snack? You are hungry for lunch? - Apple, Please? - Repeat: Can I have an apple, please? Yes, you can have an apple.

awesome tips! Thank you!!

You can always self refer to Tyke Talk. They will do an assessment if you are worried and give you hints and tips. We just did one with my 2 year old who uses 1-2 word sentences. My 3 year old spoke in paragraphs at 3, by 18 months he had full sentences BUT language varies so much. 1st child vs middle vs last. Boy vs girl. At Home with mom vs daycare. Center vs home daycare ect ect ect are all variables! When we go to th Park there are some kids who speak in sentences, others in one word phrases. tyke talk is covered by ohip (I think, it's free anyways) and they were great for the assessment

I second the Tyke Talk referral. My 3 year old son is using that service and it is covered by OHIP.